170 and 3.75, but curious about softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sgtpeppernyc

170 and 3.75, but curious about softs

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I posted this in the general thread, but told to come to this forum...

I was hoping I could get some input as to my chances. I was a Music Business Major at NYU with a 3.75 GPA and a 170 LSAT. Musician, and have played in Carnegie Hall, the MSG theater, and am currently in a small level touring band and work full time as a Project Manager in the Advertising industry.

One problem - my NYU disciplinary is a bit scarred (a few offenses, but nothing more than alcohol-related).

I would appreciate any input on my chances in the following schools:

Columbia
NYU
Penn
Michigan
Chicago
Northwestern
Duke
UVA
Cornell
Georgetown

Thanks!

bleu

Re: 170 and 3.75, but curious about softs

Postby bleu » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Al Prufrock

Postby Al Prufrock » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Columbia Reject
NYU WL/In
Penn In/ WL
Michigan In
Chicago WL
Northwestern In
Duke In
UVA In/ WL
Cornell In with $
Georgetown In

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:One problem - my NYU disciplinary is a bit scarred (a few offenses, but nothing more than alcohol-related).

I would appreciate any input on my chances in the following schools:

Columbia
NYU
Penn
Michigan
Chicago
Northwestern
Duke
UVA
Cornell
Georgetown

Thanks!

I think the issue here is less the severity of the offense than that you violated a rule repeatedly. Adcomms often say they overlook violations because it can be a learning experience - but, depending on what you mean by "a few," they may have reservations about your ability to learn from your mistakes. You should address your record carefully.

You have a shot at each of the schools you mention, but if you are concerned your record might shut you out of the T14, I'd add a few more schools specializing in your interests - Vandy and Fordham since you're listing eastern schools, and UCLA and USC if you're okay with California.

Return to “What are my chances?”