Chance me...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MarkJN
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

Chance me...

Postby MarkJN » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:12 am

BA in History/Political Science, UC Berkeley (Berkeley GPA: 3.95)

BUT, here's the tricky part: 2 years at a community college (BUT, with a perfect 4.0)

^^ Does my 2 years at a community college (in my case) help, hurt, or have little if any weight on my overall chances? I can't find a straight answer to this question. Any help would be appreciated. I have a solid amount of work and volunteer experience, as well.

Does anyone know of a case where someone with 2 years at community college made it to a school like Harvard?

LSAC GPA: 3.98
LSAT: 177

Chance me...

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
NYU
Berkeley
USC
UCLA
Last edited by MarkJN on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am

I say in at all, apart from Yale. Unless you have an interesting story?

MarkJN
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Chance me...

Postby MarkJN » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks, but can you describe the logic used by admissions committees regarding 2 years at a community college for someone with a case like mine? Is it a negative, as an "isolated variable"?

In other words, would someone with an identical LSAC GPA and LSAT as mine from UC Berkeley get in over me if that person had been at Berkeley for all 4 years? I'm assuming the answer is obviously a yes. So, if that is the case, just how much does my 2 years at CC hurt?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 am

1. I think there are to many factors at play for schools to truly consider why, and what it means to go to CC.
2. It will have no effect on their rankings.
3. Why compare it to someone with the exact numbers as you? Why cant you both get in?
4. CC could even add to your perspective?
5. People generally believe numbers, the ug doesn't matter? So you have that faulty reasoning.
6. Why dont you just use the search function?

MarkJN
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Chance me...

Postby MarkJN » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:42 am

sophia.olive wrote:1. I think there are to many factors at play for schools to truly consider why, and what it means to go to CC.
2. It will have no effect on their rankings.
3. Why compare it to someone with the exact numbers as you? Why cant you both get in?
4. CC could even add to your perspective?
5. People generally believe numbers, the ug doesn't matter? So you have that faulty reasoning.
6. Why dont you just use the search function?


Well, the only reason I brought up a hypothetical person from Berkeley with the same numbers was to try and isolate the Community College "variable." If you think it doesn't work that way, then I suppose that's good news for me.

So, why not Yale? :-)

Fenris
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Chance me...

Postby Fenris » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:30 pm

It's just really hard to get in at all.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Retake & try to bring that GPA up a bit.

MarkJN
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Chance me...

Postby MarkJN » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Retake & try to bring that GPA up a bit.


Wait, are you serious? Retake with a 177? The chances of getting below that have to outweigh the 3 points top I could raise my score. And I've already graduated, so no chance to bring up the GPA.

User avatar
MiamiUG
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby MiamiUG » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Retake & try to bring that GPA up a bit.


this

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby Bumi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:46 pm

MarkJN wrote:Thanks, but can you describe the logic used by admissions committees regarding 2 years at a community college for someone with a case like mine? Is it a negative, as an "isolated variable"?

In other words, would someone with an identical LSAC GPA and LSAT as mine from UC Berkeley get in over me if that person had been at Berkeley for all 4 years? I'm assuming the answer is obviously a yes. So, if that is the case, just how much does my 2 years at CC hurt?


This is not a good thought experiment. At every law school in the country, both you and this fictional person would both get in if either got in. The "if" clause only applies to Yale, and I'm not saying you're out at Yale, because you're possibly not.

You're like a precious little kitten that has no idea how adorable it is. No one cares about your CC. You went to Berkeley, you have ridiculous numbers! You are rare and should be extremely proud. Enjoy a spectacular app cycle. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stop posting in these kinds of threads before I slit my wrists. But then again, I'm a splitter, so I'm sure I'll do a great job with one wrist and won't even break the skin with the other.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby Bumi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 pm

MarkJN wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Retake & try to bring that GPA up a bit.


Wait, are you serious? Retake with a 177? The chances of getting below that have to outweigh the 3 points top I could raise my score. And I've already graduated, so no chance to bring up the GPA.


It's a joke, guy. If you have the numbers you say you do: relax, apply to the T6, enjoy your successful life.

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby kaydish21 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Bumi wrote:
MarkJN wrote:Thanks, but can you describe the logic used by admissions committees regarding 2 years at a community college for someone with a case like mine? Is it a negative, as an "isolated variable"?

In other words, would someone with an identical LSAC GPA and LSAT as mine from UC Berkeley get in over me if that person had been at Berkeley for all 4 years? I'm assuming the answer is obviously a yes. So, if that is the case, just how much does my 2 years at CC hurt?


This is not a good thought experiment. At every law school in the country, both you and this fictional person would both get in if either got in. The "if" clause only applies to Yale, and I'm not saying you're out at Yale, because you're possibly not.

You're like a precious little kitten that has no idea how adorable it is. No one cares about your CC. You went to Berkeley, you have ridiculous numbers! You are rare and should be extremely proud. Enjoy a spectacular app cycle. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stop posting in these kinds of threads before I slit my wrists. But then again, I'm a splitter, so I'm sure I'll do a great job with one wrist and won't even break the skin with the other.


Lol, this was soo well done.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm

The canadianwolf was joking...
I realize you were trying to isolate the variable, but the variable isolated means nothing. Don't worry about that.
Yale is just hard to get into because they have all the 175+ 3.9+ they could possibly want, so the remaining factors matter, which are less, "did he go to CC?", and more "is he a urm, what kind of volunteering did he do, what kind of hardships did he endure?"
With almost any other school you can have certain numbers and be pretty sure you will get in. But with Yale the numbers are the necessary not the sufficient. :P thats all we were saying.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Oh yeah,

I would apply to stanford also. If you like small class size and dont get into yale.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chance me...

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Bumi wrote:
MarkJN wrote:Thanks, but can you describe the logic used by admissions committees regarding 2 years at a community college for someone with a case like mine? Is it a negative, as an "isolated variable"?

In other words, would someone with an identical LSAC GPA and LSAT as mine from UC Berkeley get in over me if that person had been at Berkeley for all 4 years? I'm assuming the answer is obviously a yes. So, if that is the case, just how much does my 2 years at CC hurt?


This is not a good thought experiment. At every law school in the country, both you and this fictional person would both get in if either got in. The "if" clause only applies to Yale, and I'm not saying you're out at Yale, because you're possibly not.

You're like a precious little kitten that has no idea how adorable it is. No one cares about your CC. You went to Berkeley, you have ridiculous numbers! You are rare and should be extremely proud. Enjoy a spectacular app cycle. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stop posting in these kinds of threads before I slit my wrists. But then again, I'm a splitter, so I'm sure I'll do a great job with one wrist and won't even break the skin with the other.


Beautifully done. Great technique, great execution. +180.

In regards to the OP: Schools will not care about your CC at all. Especially since you backed it up with a 3.9x at UC Berkeley, and a 177 on the LSAT -- removing any possible doubt on your academic abilities. You're a virtual lock at Harvard, and have as good of shots as anyone has at Yale and Stanford (which are much more holistic, and numbers are only a necessary but not sufficient condition). Do you have any extracurriculars, work experience, etc.?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest