4.0/173 Physics Major

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Cracky

4.0/173 Physics Major

Postby Cracky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:46 am

I'm currently a physics major at Michigan State. I'm going in to my third, but last, year. My "softs" are nearly non-existant. I took heavy courseloads, including summer classes after my first year, limiting much opportunity for ecs, (other than intramural sports to keep my sanity). I didn't use up AP Credit to graduate early, I have 90+ credits completed with a 4.0 GPA and will be able to finish my last year with a regular courseload so I fully expect to keep a high GPA. My most significant ec has been the physics research that I'm currently doing in a REU program at another university. Earlier in the year I took the LSAT and scored a 173 after months of preparation.

On paper those seem to me like solid numbers for most schools, but I have no work experience, not that prestigious of an undergrad, a non-typical major, and am graduating in 3 years.

Can someone please chance me for the top 14, especially:

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Harvard

Lawquacious

Re: 4.0/173 Physics Major

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 am

Good chances at all.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:53 am

Yup, those things won't hurt you at anywhere except Y/S and possibly NU (but probably not).

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:56 am

apply to Stanford.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:06 am

I think you have a good chance at all of them. I think you should expand your list to include Columbia and NYU, as well. You should take a look at LSN. I think I know a few people at Michigan with similar numbers that received full scholarships.

Also, are you going to be able to land a job after graduating from MSU? Apply to those schools this year, and if you don't get in or don't get enough money, you can probably build up some work experience and try again with the same stats.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 am

DOOM wrote:apply to Stanford.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:41 am

Have fun in Palo Alto

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 pm

As everyone has said, you have as good of a shot as anyone. Apply everywhere, and reap the rewards.

Yay for science people in law school!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm

yayyyy

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:34 am

Cracky wrote:I'm currently a physics major at Michigan State. I'm going in to my third, but last, year. My "softs" are nearly non-existant. I took heavy courseloads, including summer classes after my first year, limiting much opportunity for ecs, (other than intramural sports to keep my sanity). I didn't use up AP Credit to graduate early, I have 90+ credits completed with a 4.0 GPA and will be able to finish my last year with a regular courseload so I fully expect to keep a high GPA. My most significant ec has been the physics research that I'm currently doing in a REU program at another university. Earlier in the year I took the LSAT and scored a 173 after months of preparation.

On paper those seem to me like solid numbers for most schools, but I have no work experience, not that prestigious of an undergrad, a non-typical major, and am graduating in 3 years.

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Harvard

Don't waste your time with law school. Go to grad school.

We need physicists. We don't need attorneys.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 am

Whatever you do just make sure you finish with your 4.0 intact. If you've gotten this far with a 4.0 I'm just preaching to the choir but that's the only thing you need to do. After that you just ride the gravy train.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am

Either go T6 or lower T14 with a huge scholly depending on career goals.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

Have fun at Stanford.

JustBelieve

Postby JustBelieve » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Cracky wrote:I'm currently a physics major at Michigan State. I'm going in to my third, but last, year. My "softs" are nearly non-existant. I took heavy courseloads, including summer classes after my first year, limiting much opportunity for ecs, (other than intramural sports to keep my sanity). I didn't use up AP Credit to graduate early, I have 90+ credits completed with a 4.0 GPA and will be able to finish my last year with a regular courseload so I fully expect to keep a high GPA. My most significant ec has been the physics research that I'm currently doing in a REU program at another university. Earlier in the year I took the LSAT and scored a 173 after months of preparation.

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Harvard

You have a really good shot at all those schools. I wish you the best of luck!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Apply to Y and S.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:00 pm

rayiner wrote:Apply to Y and S.

This is what I came into this thread to say. Apply to the entire T6, enjoy getting accepted to most of them.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:30 pm

NoJob wrote:

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Harvard

The job market's not substantially better for techies at this point, with the exception of EE. People will stop jumping ship for IP law and law school in general when the market once again decides that a degree requiring 4 years of hellacious math and science courses is worth something. Till then, noses up to what we "need" and arms open to firms that value people with science backgrounds that can read and write.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:07 pm

stratocophic wrote:
NoJob wrote:

Chicago
Northwestern
Michigan
Harvard

The job market's not substantially better for techies at this point, with the exception of EE. People will stop jumping ship for IP law and law school in general when the market once again decides that a degree requiring 4 years of hellacious math and science courses is worth something. Till then, noses up to what we "need" and arms open to firms that value people with science backgrounds that can read and write.

As the wife of a physicist, I can tell you that TITCR. The jobs are few and far between in MANY fields right now, not just law. One of the biggest problems is that the federal government just keeps cutting NSF funding - it's killing the science community.

Return to “What are my chances?”