D.C.?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ksimon2007

D.C.?

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

I have been strongly tempted by the possibility of working on the hill and doing law school part time at GMU, American, Catholic (the Georges are out of my range :cry: ) after graduating in May 2011. My interest at the end of it all is to practice government relations/public policy law. I am testing in the low to mid 150's. I am a AA male with a solid resume, but my wonder is would I be better off just getting a law degree at a school like University of Richmond or other university full time and seeing how things end up there as opposed to the limits that come with doing law school part time (i.e. no law journal, summer associate, etc.).

MrKappus

Re: D.C.?

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:40 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I have been strongly tempted by the possibility of working on the hill and doing law school part time at GMU, American, Catholic (the Georges are out of my range :cry: ) after graduating in May 2011. My interest at the end of it all is to practice government relations/public policy law lobbying. I am testing in the low to mid 150's. I am a AA male with a solid resume, but my wonder is would I be better off just getting a law degree at a school like University of Richmond or other university full time and seeing how things end up there as opposed to the limits that come with doing law school part time (i.e. no law journal, summer associate, etc.).

FTFY. :)

Working on the Hill, in either a public or private capacity, is all about being physically present on the Hill day-to-day. If you leave, you miss the chance to hear about job openings, policy initiatives, other developments, etc. I think that's why so many staffers do law school part-time. I would think yours is a situation that tracks well with a part-time degree. Also, if you're applying for part-time and have URM status, a mid/high 150's LSAT might be enough for GW or G-town. Just a thought.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:06 pm

If you really, really don't want to practice law in the traditional sense, and would rather lobby or work in politics, you're better off working on the hill and going PT. Political/personal connections are just as important as school prestige for that kind of work. Granted, going to Yale or Harvard would let you run shoulders with future senators AND get a prestigious degree, but short of those two schools, it doesn't really matter.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:13 pm

MrKappus wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I have been strongly tempted by the possibility of working on the hill and doing law school part time at GMU, American, Catholic (the Georges are out of my range :cry: ) after graduating in May 2011. My interest at the end of it all is to practice government relations/public policy law lobbying. I am testing in the low to mid 150's. I am a AA male with a solid resume, but my wonder is would I be better off just getting a law degree at a school like University of Richmond or other university full time and seeing how things end up there as opposed to the limits that come with doing law school part time (i.e. no law journal, summer associate, etc.).

FTFY. :)

Working on the Hill, in either a public or private capacity, is all about being physically present on the Hill day-to-day. If you leave, you miss the chance to hear about job openings, policy initiatives, other developments, etc. I think that's why so many staffers do law school part-time. I would think yours is a situation that tracks well with a part-time degree. Also, if you're applying for part-time and have URM status, a mid/high 150's LSAT might be enough for GW or G-town. Just a thought.

lol I love your edit, but I disagree with the idea that I can get into the part time program at G'town or George Washington with those numbers. Of course I would hope you're right. I really do love politics and just being around the hill. Thanks for the advice. btw I might be behind the times, but what does FTFY stand for haha...
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Renzo wrote:If you really, really don't want to practice law in the traditional sense, and would rather lobby or work in politics, you're better off working on the hill and going PT. Political/personal connections are just as important as school prestige for that kind of work. Granted, going to Yale or Harvard would let you run shoulders with future senators AND get a prestigious degree, but short of those two schools, it doesn't really matter.

I have always thought, until this summer, that I would be fine with being a lawyer and having a caseload. However, I find that I really enjoy being in a political environment and I have known I liked politics for a while. I thought I might be able to take the usual course and work for a firm in the political law/government relations practice, but you have to put in your time and achieve a bit before such a practice is possible. I want a legal education because it suits me best and I'm damn sure not a MBA type.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Anymore takers?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 pm

FTFY = Fixed this for you, haha. :D

I think you'll be encouraged if you go to lawschoolnumbers and check out the URM admits to GW w/ mid/high 150 LSATs. Good luck!

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:51 pm

MrKappus wrote:FTFY = Fixed this for you, haha. :D

I think you'll be encouraged if you go to lawschoolnumbers and check out the URM admits to GW w/ mid/high 150 LSATs. Good luck!

Well that was a pretty good percentage there! Now I just have to keep working on getting the numbers up. Thanks.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 pm

there aren't restrictions on part-time students doing things like journals and internships. You self-impose them. At a minimum, I'm sure you'd be able to work a job, do a journal and work on the Hill if you wanted it badly enough.

I'll be working 50-60 hours / wk and attending law school part-time. I fully intend to take advantage of at least one major extracurricular activity (journal or moot court probably). Why can't you?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 pm

tesoro wrote:there aren't restrictions on part-time students doing things like journals and internships. You self-impose them. At a minimum, I'm sure you'd be able to work a job, do a journal and work on the Hill if you wanted it badly enough.

I'll be working 50-60 hours / wk and attending law school part-time. I fully intend to take advantage of at least one major extracurricular activity (journal or moot court probably). Why can't you?

Oh I was unaware that it was possible to be on the journal as a part time student. I thought part time students were disqualified from participating in the law journal. Great news. Are you in the D.C. area tesoro?

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:36 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
tesoro wrote:there aren't restrictions on part-time students doing things like journals and internships. You self-impose them. At a minimum, I'm sure you'd be able to work a job, do a journal and work on the Hill if you wanted it badly enough.

Oh I was unaware that it was possible to be on the journal as a part time student. I thought part time students were disqualified from participating in the law journal. Great news. Are you in the D.C. area tesoro?

No, I'm going to Fordham. But I know the policies at GWU, GULC and GMU all allow every evening student to access every extracurricular with no disadvantage as compared to their full-time counterparts. If any other DC school has a different policy, I would be surprised.

Return to “What are my chances?”