ED to Columbia?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sapien
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

ED to Columbia?

Postby sapien » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:38 pm

.
Last edited by sapien on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:50 pm

sapien wrote:168, 171 + 3.94 + better-than-average softs

Is it worth it to take a chance with Harvard and Stanford or should I just do Columbia ED? Goals= NYC biglaw. Although, ideally I would like to work in London. :?



Columbia has great placement in NYC, but according to LSP, you have a strong consider at Stanford, and a consider at Columbia, Harvard and Yale.
Since ED essentially eliminates $$, I would RD to Columbia. I wouldnt want to be stuck paying sticker at Columbia when an HYS acceptance comes around.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 pm

trudat15 wrote:
sapien wrote:168, 171 + 3.94 + better-than-average softs

Is it worth it to take a chance with Harvard and Stanford or should I just do Columbia ED? Goals= NYC biglaw. Although, ideally I would like to work in London. :?



Columbia has great placement in NYC, but according to LSP, you have a strong consider at Stanford, and a consider at Columbia, Harvard and Yale.
Since ED essentially eliminates $$, I would RD to Columbia. I wouldnt want to be stuck paying sticker at Columbia when an HYS acceptance comes around.


I disagree. I would ED to Columbia. LSP isn't as accurate with Stanford (and Yale), because numbers are merely a prerequisite there, in most cases you still need exceptional softs to be the well-rounded candidate they look for.

Since your goal is NYC Biglaw, and Columbia places well there, and you aren't likely to see any money from Columbia anyways, it makes a lot of sense to ED. Coupled with the fact that you are far from a sure thing RD, maybe a coin flip, you should definitely ED to give you the best chance there.

Unless your softs are truly above average, what are we talking about?

I guess it comes down to risk. You have a shot at Stanford with that high GPA, but it is a black box. What it boils down to, and it's hard to say, is if the chance you have at Stanford is worth reducing your odds at Columbia. Personally, I feel, considering your goal is NYC biglaw, that it isn't worth it.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby czelede » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Knockglock wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
sapien wrote:168, 171 + 3.94 + better-than-average softs

Is it worth it to take a chance with Harvard and Stanford or should I just do Columbia ED? Goals= NYC biglaw. Although, ideally I would like to work in London. :?



Columbia has great placement in NYC, but according to LSP, you have a strong consider at Stanford, and a consider at Columbia, Harvard and Yale.
Since ED essentially eliminates $$, I would RD to Columbia. I wouldnt want to be stuck paying sticker at Columbia when an HYS acceptance comes around.


I disagree. I would ED to Columbia. LSP isn't as accurate with Stanford (and Yale), because numbers are merely a prerequisite there, in most cases you still need exceptional softs to be the well-rounded candidate they look for.

Since your goal is NYC Biglaw, and Columbia places well there, and you aren't likely to see any money from Columbia anyways, it makes a lot of sense to ED. Coupled with the fact that you are far from a sure thing RD, maybe a coin flip, you should definitely ED to give you the best chance there.

Unless your softs are truly above average, what are we talking about?

I guess it comes down to risk. You have a shot at Stanford with that high GPA, but it is a black box. What it boils down to, and it's hard to say, is if the chance you have at Stanford is worth reducing your odds at Columbia. Personally, I feel, considering your goal is NYC biglaw, that it isn't worth it.


TITCR.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:20 pm

After talking with the OP via PM, I think ED'ing to Columbia is the best move here. Softs are probably average, so Stanford is going to be pretty difficult.

sapien
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby sapien » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 pm

:) will adjust the 'softs' bit in the prompt. But is the difference between C and N big enough to justify ED to Columbia instead of just sending out RD applications to all of the top few schools?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

sapien wrote::) will adjust the 'softs' bit in the prompt. But is the difference between C and N big enough to justify ED to Columbia instead of just sending out RD applications to all of the top few schools?


I think so.

sapien
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby sapien » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

So is Knockglock's opinion the consensus?

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby Moxie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 pm

If you really want Harvard or Stanford more than Columbia, I think you should do RD. LSN shows that people with your numbers have a great chance of getting in RD. (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd).

The ED to Columbia boost is not particularly big, and it essentially ends any chance you have at money. Isn't it worth RD'ing to: 1) give yourself a chance at one of HYS; 2) try and get merit aid from Columbia?

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Moxie wrote:If you really want Harvard or Stanford more than Columbia, I think you should do RD. LSN shows that people with your numbers have a great chance of getting in RD. (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd).

The ED to Columbia boost is not particularly big, and it essentially ends any chance you have at money. Isn't it worth RD'ing to: 1) give yourself a chance at one of HYS; 2) try and get merit aid from Columbia?

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby irie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 pm

dont forget the OP has 171 on a retake. he/she is on the fence now, but that little detail might swing it the wrong way.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Moxie wrote:If you really want Harvard or Stanford more than Columbia, I think you should do RD. LSN shows that people with your numbers have a great chance of getting in RD. (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd).

The ED to Columbia boost is not particularly big, and it essentially ends any chance you have at money. Isn't it worth RD'ing to: 1) give yourself a chance at one of HYS; 2) try and get merit aid from Columbia?


OP said he wants NYC biglaw. I think he doesn't have a chance really at H or Y, so those are out of consideration. S he has some chance, but it's really anyone's guess as as to his chances there. He only has average softs, not out of HYP, and will have 1 year work exp.

Looking at your LSN link, no one with OP's numbers got any merit money from Columbia. So if OP does get into Columbia, he is very likely paying sticker, no matter what.

So while there may be an argument to take chances at S, I think, considering his goals, ED'ing to Columbia and giving him really strong chances to be accepted there is the way to go. And as the above poster said, the 171 is a retake, so I think to be safe he should ED to Columbia.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and more people should throw in their two cents, for the benefit of the OP.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Knockglock wrote:OP said he wants NYC biglaw. I think he doesn't have a chance really at H or Y, so those are out of consideration. S he has some chance, but it's really anyone's guess as as to his chances there. He only has average softs, not out of HYP, and will have 1 year work exp.

Looking at your LSN link, no one with OP's numbers got any merit money from Columbia. So if OP does get into Columbia, he is very likely paying sticker, no matter what.

So while there may be an argument to take chances at S, I think, considering his goals, ED'ing to Columbia and giving him really strong chances to be accepted there is the way to go. And as the above poster said, the 171 is a retake, so I think to be safe he should ED to Columbia.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and more people should throw in their two cents, for the benefit of the OP.


Wooops. Total RC Fail of OP's stats on my part. I think this is TCR. unless you plan on getting recs and tailor your app specifically for stanford, I would ED. But if you really want stanford and will work on a bangin app for them, then I could see just RDing to columbia

sapien
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby sapien » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:11 am

.
Last edited by sapien on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: ED to Columbia?

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 am

sapien wrote:The one thing I'm hung up on is that If I ED Columbia, I'm basically conceding that it's a school that is so much better than NYU that it's worth it to give up on Stanford and Harvard. I'm having a bit of trouble believing this, especially since I would like to practice either in NYC or for a US firm abroad and I hear that NYU is great for NYC and is top for intl. law...


Columbia and NYU are peer schools. Research them both out, check them out, and visit both in person. You really can't go wrong, and in the end it will depend on which one is the right individual fit for you. I think that Columbia will be a little bit better in terms of NYC Biglaw, but no one would fault you for choosing NYU instead. You really can't go wrong, it's a definite win-win.

There are definitely multiple ways to play this strategy wise:
You could RD to both. Your odds of acceptance to Columbia aren't that great. You go from a strong candidate ED to a coin flip RD, and very well could not get in. You have strong odds of acceptance at NYU, however, I don't think you will see much money, if any from them.

You could ED to Columbia. You give up a shot at Stanford (you don't really have a shot at Harvard so you're not really giving that up), and U. Chi, and NYU, but you go from consider to strong consider at Columbia.

Really this isn't something any of u can answer for you. You need to think about how much you value Columbia relative to other schools, how much risk you were willing to accept with your Columbia application, if you would be happy attending NYU if you don't get accepted to Columbia if you RD, etc.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests