Chances at University of Houston, Baylor, and SMU? 3.7/164

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Chances at University of Houston, Baylor, and SMU? 3.7/164

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:If you get into both Baylor and SMU but only get money from Baylor, you can use that to try and leverage money out of SMU.

No, you can't. SMU seems to give their best shot initially.

Note bolded. And yes, you can. You cannot speak for certain on what schools he will and will not get offered a scholarship at...scholarships are even more unpredictable than admissions. URM status makes both admissions and scholarships even more unpredictable. Stop making such confident statements when all you have is educated guesses.

SMU doesn't negotiate. I'll be there in the fall, and I tried to get extra money out of them the previous 2 cycles (09 and 10). In 09, I couldn't leverage a significant scholarship at a T30 into a dime from SMU. I'm a URM, btw.

After a search seems ya'll are right. My apologies. While I don't think there is 0% chance of negotiating, it seems like their policy makes it a lot less likely for them to be able to have the funds to do so. In any case, my original point was that you should consider applying to a school that you might not really consider attending if it could put you in a position to leverage money out of schools you do want to attend. That suggestion takes a bit of a beating though if SMU probably won't negotiate and Houston doesn't have that much money. UT might consider a scholarship from Baylor if it was like a full ride, but not as likely.

kalvano

Re: Chances at University of Houston, Baylor, and SMU? 3.7/164

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:If you get into both Baylor and SMU but only get money from Baylor, you can use that to try and leverage money out of SMU.

No, you can't. SMU seems to give their best shot initially.

Note bolded. And yes, you can. You cannot speak for certain on what schools he will and will not get offered a scholarship at...scholarships are even more unpredictable than admissions. URM status makes both admissions and scholarships even more unpredictable. Stop making such confident statements when all you have is educated guesses.

What I mean is that whatever SMU offers initially, be it $30K or $0, is their offer. They don't negotiate.

Edit - damn, beaten.

Return to “What are my chances?”