Crazy score fluctuation and low GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
trudat15

Silver

Crazy score fluctuation and low GPA

Post by trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:57 pm

This is NOT a flame. I posted this once in the LSAT forum awhile ago, but now my gf is freaking out so I thought I'd post to see what you think her chances might be. I promise, these are actual numbers.

She's taken the LSAT 3 times. 145 first time a few years back. Dont ask. 171 second time. She decided to take it a third time to get a second score in the 170s to prove the 171 was a fluke. She hadnt researched sites like this, nor had she even thought of applying yet (she was taking a few years off), so she didnt know that a well written addendum would have done the trick. She scored a 163 in Sept last year. How someone goes from a 145 to a 171 to a 163 is beyond me, but it's dead on true. If you dont believe that someone that can score a 171 and a 145, then please politely leave the thread. I dont get enjoyment out of posting things just to get a reaction, and really would like some advice here. Ive been researching this site as I prepare MY apps, and think many of the folks here are very knowledgeable so thought I would throw it out there. Yes I understand she screwed herself by taking it a third time or by not canceling the first, but we're beyond that at this point and are now looking for solutions.

So anyways, she is taking it a fourth time. She talked to her prelaw adviser who said it would be okay for her to take it. I told her not to, and just to write an addendum on the 163/145 but she is adamant and is studying now for Oct. But now she is stressing out on the fact that she has to study but that she wants to submit early in the cycle for better chances. Right now, her pts are low but improving by a lot weekly. Ive told her that if she doesnt pt in the mid 170s by a month before, to just cancel it and apply with her scores. And if she wants take it again in Dec or Feb, asking to be reconsidered in light of a higher score to schools she gets rejected from.

Anyways, with those three scores and a 3.29 gpa, does she have any shot at a t20? 30? I think she is open to going anywhere that is highest rank.

TommyK

Silver

Re: Crazy score fluctuation and low GPA

Post by TommyK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Why is she re-taking it? Most schools now just take the top score. It doesn't sound like she's going to improve on the 171 so I would just keep it, write an addendum how she came down with a nasty case of malaria, and got struck in the head with a meteor in the middle of the reading comp section.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 pm

TommyK wrote:Why is she re-taking it? Most schools now just take the top score. It doesn't sound like she's going to improve on the 171 so I would just keep it, write an addendum how she came down with a nasty case of malaria, and got struck in the head with a meteor in the middle of the reading comp section.
Agreed. Don't take it a 4th time. Shouldn't have taken it a 3rd time, but that can't be helped now. Write an addendum, and she is probably fine, and will have a shot at a T20/30 somewhere. I bet some school will want that 171 bad enough. Since it's largely a numbers game, and schools only have to report the top score now, someone will take that 171 to boost their median. Apply broadly though.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Knockglock wrote:
TommyK wrote:Why is she re-taking it? Most schools now just take the top score. It doesn't sound like she's going to improve on the 171 so I would just keep it, write an addendum how she came down with a nasty case of malaria, and got struck in the head with a meteor in the middle of the reading comp section.
Agreed. Don't take it a 4th time. Shouldn't have taken it a 3rd time, but that can't be helped now. Write an addendum, and she is probably fine, and will have a shot at a T20/30 somewhere. I bet some school will want that 171 bad enough.
+1... retaking the 3rd time was bad. She should do whatever in the way of addendums she can. She'll be able to do ok in her cycle but should expect some strange fluctuations from law school predictor.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:49 pm

What are you asking and why are you posting this thread? You couldn't convince her not to take a 3rd time from the last thread, what can you do now?

If you are asking whether she has a shot at the t20, then yes she has a shot at t20. Then again, if her neuroses show through in her PS, maybe she doesn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm

bk187 wrote:What are you asking and why are you posting this thread? You couldn't convince her not to take a 3rd time from the last thread, what can you do now?

If you are asking whether she has a shot at the t20, then yes she has a shot at t20. Then again, if her neuroses show through in her PS, maybe she doesn't.
Well the third time I wasnt dating her and barely knew her, so it was a tough sell. The reason why she wants to take it again is to get a 175+, not just to match her 171. This time, I think she sees the wisdom of not taking it if her pts arent in the high 170s.

Asking because I wanted to know what a realistic shot she would have at a t20 or so if she were to not take it a fourth time. And if so, what schools in particular. I cant seem to get a grip on it, since her scores fluctuate so wildly. I know her cycle will be crazy with her scores, but wanted to know what others thought, because people here seem to be more attuned with what adcomms are potentially thinking. Or at least they sound like they are.

Her craziness will not show through in her PS. I will make sure of that.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:21 pm

trudat15 wrote:
bk187 wrote:What are you asking and why are you posting this thread? You couldn't convince her not to take a 3rd time from the last thread, what can you do now?

Well the third time I wasnt dating her and barely knew her, so it was a tough sell. The reason why she wants to take it again is to get a 175+, not just to match her 171. This time, I think she sees the wisdom of not taking it if her pts arent in the high 170s.

Asking because I wanted to know what a realistic shot she would have at a t20 or so if she were to not take it a fourth time. And if so, what schools in particular. I cant seem to get a grip on it, since her scores fluctuate so wildly. I know her cycle will be crazy with her scores, but wanted to know what others thought, because people here seem to be more attuned with what adcomms are potentially thinking. Or at least they sound like they are.

You know that to take the LSAT for a 4th time you need to have 2 years pass between the 1st test so it expires, or write a law school and get them to send something to LSAC saying they request for your girlfriend to be allowed to take it for a 4th time.

In the end though, I just don't think the risk/reward is worth it. For someone who was originally testing in the 140's, a 171 is a great score. And even though that 3rd test may hurt her, she has a solid chance at T20, and certainly T30. IF she does bad on the fourth test though, she has 1 good score and 3 bad ones (assuming that the 1st one hasn't expired yet). That's not worth the risk in my opinion, especially since she obviously fluctuates so wildly.
Last edited by Knock on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Knockglock wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

You know that to take the LSAT for a 4th time you need to have 2 years pass between the 1st test so it expires, or write a law school and get them to send something to LSAC saying they request for your girlfriend to be allowed to take it for a 4th time.
Yup, her 145 was in 2007 I believe. Or 08. One of those two. But she def had no problem with LSAC when she signed up again and didnt have to contact a school or anything to get permission.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:24 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Yup, her 145 was in 2007 I believe. Or 08. One of those two. But she def had no problem with LSAC when she signed up again and didnt have to contact a school or anything to get permission.
I edited my post and added more of my opinion on the situation in there :P.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:30 pm

trudat15 wrote:Well the third time I wasnt dating her and barely knew her, so it was a tough sell. The reason why she wants to take it again is to get a 175+, not just to match her 171. This time, I think she sees the wisdom of not taking it if her pts arent in the high 170s.

To be fair, I doubt that anybody here can give realistic predictions that would differ significantly from a regular 3.3/170 because the number of people with this drastic a range of scores is quite small, on top of the fact that most people who go from the 140's to the 170's would stop there. Personally I doubt she will be seen as much different than your average 3.3/170.

The best she can do is apply early and apply broadly (lower half of the T14 and down) and see what she gets. Possibly send an ED to one of them.
Last edited by bk1 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Haven't you posted this before?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:39 pm

dominkay wrote:Haven't you posted this before?
Umm..
trudat15 wrote:This is NOT a flame. I posted this once in the LSAT forum awhile ago, but now my gf is freaking out so I thought I'd post to see what you think her chances might be.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:46 pm

dominkay wrote:Haven't you posted this before?
Yup sorry. I posted in the LSAT category awhile back, but was asking what people thought about a 4th take on the lsat. This morning, my gf was really stressed about LSAT and apps and trying to juggle the two with work, so I thought I would post it again to get an idea of schools she can do without taking it again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:47 pm

bk187 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Well the third time I wasnt dating her and barely knew her, so it was a tough sell. The reason why she wants to take it again is to get a 175+, not just to match her 171. This time, I think she sees the wisdom of not taking it if her pts arent in the high 170s.

To be fair, I doubt that anybody here can give realistic predictions that would differ significantly from a regular 3.3/170 because the number of people with this drastic a range of scores is quite small, on top of the fact that most people who go from the 140's to the 170's would stop there. Personally I doubt she will be seen as much different than your average 3.3/170.

The best she can do is apply early and apply broadly (lower half of the T14 and down) and see what she gets. Possibly send an ED to one of them.
Thanks. I figured she'd be hard to predict, but just thought I would throw it out there. It would be FANTASTIC if she were a 3.3/170 candidate, as she would be in line for 7-14 or so, which would be amazing given her start point (3.3/145).

Thanks for the input.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:56 pm

My head hurts because of your girlfriend.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:08 pm

If she is adamant about retaking, she should apply before or immediately after her retake and inform them that she plans to or already has retook the LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”