3.85 Gtown, 159 LSAT, 4 years work exp.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LSATNightmares

3.85 Gtown, 159 LSAT, 4 years work exp.

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 pm

--3.85 GPA from Georgetown Undergrad, top 10% of class
--159 LSAT... it's unusually low for me because I panicked on the June LSAT and didn't cancel; I'll be retaking in October
--4 years of impressive work experience, which included a year-long competitive fellowship, government and overseas work, and some private sector experience
--White Female
--Interested in doing environmnetal law

As for schools, I'm primarily focusing on Boston schools since my fiance is a grad student at Harvard:
Boston U
Boston College
Northeastern
Suffolk
Georgetown
GW
Fordham

Harvard (if I can boost my score big time... does marrying a Harvard student give me an advantage?)

What are my chances? Any schools I should add?

vespertiliovir

Re: 3.85 Gtown, 159 LSAT, 4 years work exp.

Postby vespertiliovir » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Out everywhere but Suffolk and Northeastern with that LSAT

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:29 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:Out everywhere but Suffolk and Northeastern with that LSAT

Probably in at Suffolk, <~15% chance at Northeastern.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:38 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:

Are you people out of your minds? The medians at Suffolk are 157/3.3...there's no "probably" about it. And the IQR of Northeastern's LSAT is 155-163, GPA's 3.20-3.63, which means OP's chances are much better than 15% or less. I'm all about tempering expectations, but the quote above borders on the absurd.

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 pm

Suffolk, "very likely" would have been more accurate.

As for Northeastern, LSN paints a different picture this cycle. http://northweastern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

OP said she's white, and with very few exceptions, it looks like URMs only - with LSATs under 160 - got in. Hardly "bordering on the absurd".

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks for your guesses. I find it interesting that everyone looks at LSATs in calculating chances. I mean, GPA, a really good undergrad program, and work experience count for nothing? I was scoring in the 170's before I bombed the LSAT, so I'm hopeful I can really boost my score and get into a place like BU.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:36 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Thanks for your guesses. I find it interesting that everyone looks at LSATs in calculating chances. I mean, GPA, a really good undergrad program, and work experience count for nothing? I was scoring in the 170's before I bombed the LSAT, so I'm hopeful I can really boost my score and get into a place like BU.

Everyone looks at your LSAT because its the most important piece..

Think:

50% LSAT, 40% GPA, 10% everything else... so make sure you really nail that LSAT retake and you'll have a lot more options

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:Thanks for your guesses. I find it interesting that everyone looks at LSATs in calculating chances. I mean, GPA, a really good undergrad program, and work experience count for nothing? I was scoring in the 170's before I bombed the LSAT, so I'm hopeful I can really boost my score and get into a place like BU.

Think:

50% LSAT, 40% GPA, 10% everything else... so make sure you really nail that LSAT retake and you'll have a lot more options

Hmm... It's more like median or above LSAT is necessary but not sufficient, you know what I mean?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:45 pm

IAFG wrote:Hmm... It's more like median or above LSAT is necessary but not sufficient, you know what I mean?

Since half the students in the class have an LSAT that's below median, clearly a median LSAT isn't necessary.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:48 pm

MrKappus wrote:
IAFG wrote:Hmm... It's more like median or above LSAT is necessary but not sufficient, you know what I mean?

Since half the students in the class have an LSAT that's below median, clearly a median LSAT isn't necessary.

But how many are exactly at median and then how many are URMs.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Yes, true. That's understandable for most of the programs I listed.

I was thinking maybe Georgetown would let me in. If I was a top student in one of their undergrad programs, I think they would give me a break with the LSAT. I mean, isn't the purpose of the LSAT to compare students from different univisities? If they didn't have faith in my undergrad GPA, I guess they don't have much faith in their undergrad program.

Anywho, I did independent study earlier with the LSAT, but I start a Testmasters course next week. I think I'll be calmer this time around.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 pm

If testing anxiety was a problem, don't skip audible 5 minute warnings on practice tests.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Yes, true. That's understandable for most of the programs I listed.

I was thinking maybe Georgetown would let me in. If I was a top student in one of their undergrad programs, I think they would give me a break with the LSAT. I mean, isn't the purpose of the LSAT to compare students from different univisities? If they didn't have faith in my undergrad GPA, I guess they don't have much faith in their undergrad program.

Anywho, I did independent study earlier with the LSAT, but I start a Testmasters course next week. I think I'll be calmer this time around.

I'm all about your Suffolk/Northeastern chances, but I would think you absolutely have no chance at Georgetown without at least a 167+. Also, as UG programs go, Georgetown's kind of far down the list of "really good" ones. There's just too many kids from all the Ivies, elite LAC's, MIT/Caltech's, et al. for G-town to be considered a top-flite UG.

Good luck w/ the LSAT. It'll make or break your LS chances, obviously.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:

Think:

Hmm... It's more like median or above LSAT is necessary but not sufficient, you know what I mean?

Yeah thats a good way to think about it, although you can compensate with a GPA or LSAT that is above the 75th percentile if your other number is below median.

I believe a lot of people think the LSAT is a little more important because there are more good GPA's out there then good LSATs, so you're better off if you have a high LSAT + low GPA then if you have a high GPA + low LSAT

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for your honest opinion. Hehe, call me proud, but I think Georgetown undergrad is elite depending on which program you're in. I was in the School of Foreign Service, which is notoriously hard. I wouldn't say quite as hard as MIT or Princeton, but definitely comparable to all the Ivies. A good number of Georgetown undergrads with 3.85's get into the law school through the Early Assurance program... if I could have gotten in then, I find it hard they wouldn't seriously consider me once I graduated.

Anyways, you can see I'm a lawyer in the making with my debating, hehe. But you're right... I have to nail the LSAT in October.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:08 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Thanks for your honest opinion. Hehe, call me proud, but I think Georgetown undergrad is elite depending on which program you're in. I was in the School of Foreign Service, which is notoriously hard. I wouldn't say quite as hard as MIT or Princeton, but definitely comparable to all the Ivies. A good number of Georgetown undergrads with 3.85's get into the law school through the Early Assurance program... if I could have gotten in then, I find it hard they wouldn't seriously consider me once I graduated.

Anyways, you can see I'm a lawyer in the making with my debating, hehe. But you're right... I have to nail the LSAT in October.

Haha god dammit...I was actually going to write "unless you were in the FS school," but didn't. Nothing wrong w/ alma mater pride. I've got it too. Good luck.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Hahaha... you're just trying to make me feel better by qualifying your statement! :lol:

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:23 pm

I guess one could say touche! But then again, I could say your reply is a way of getting around the issue and avoiding retracting your statement that Gtown isn't elite, hehe.

But in all due seriousness, thanks for your feedback. I better get started working on everything.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:15 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Lawof_theLand wrote:

Are you people out of your minds? The medians at Suffolk are 157/3.3...there's no "probably" about it. And the IQR of Northeastern's LSAT is 155-163, GPA's 3.20-3.63, which means OP's chances are much better than 15% or less. I'm all about tempering expectations, but the quote above borders on the absurd.

To clarify, I was saying OP is in at Suffolk at Northeastern.

Return to “What are my chances?”