Chances at University of Florida?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Neo

Chances at University of Florida?

Postby Neo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I have been debating if I should post one of these; however, my curiosity got the best of me. Anyway, I am a Florida resident and I go to a Florida undergrad (not UF). I have a 3.9 LSAC GPA with a 159 LSAT score.

What are my chances at the University of Florida?

I have a history of sub-par standardized testing and I plan on writing an addendum. I have ok softs. I worked for the family business, interned with the Governor, captain/treasurer of my school's paintball team and speak a few languages. Also, I am a first generation American and first in my family to go to college.

Before everyone responds telling me to retake the LSAT, I already thought about that and posted about it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122519&p=3167748#p3167748

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for making my application stronger? Is there anything in particular UF likes to see?
Thanks for the advice! Any and all answers/suggestions/advice/hints are appreciated!

ResolutePear

Re: Chances at University of Florida?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:20 pm

I think because of your GPA you have a slim chance - but that LSAT is killing you. I know a person who just got WL'd at UF with a 165.. don't remember his GPA, though.

vanburen81

Postby vanburen81 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:49 pm

I think you will get in. UF seems to place more emphasis on GPA than some other schools and your LSAT is probably at least at their 25% mark and their median is what -- one or two points higher? I think your GPA and the fact your a resident will get you in. In your PS make sure you emphasize that UF is your #1 school.

Neo

Postby Neo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:10 pm

vanburen81 wrote:I think you will get in. UF seems to place more emphasis on GPA than some other schools and your LSAT is probably at least at their 25% mark and their median is what -- one or two points higher? I think your GPA and the fact your a resident will get you in. In your PS make sure you emphasize that UF is your #1 school.

Thank you for this! You have no idea how much better this makes me feel. I know no-one really knows except the admissions council, but hope is a good thing. So thank you.

Yea, their median is a 162 and their 25th percentile is a 158.

Neo

Postby Neo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Only two responses :(

Anyone else have some input??

UFPilot

Postby UFPilot » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm not gonna give you false hope-you will probably be waitlisted or rejected. Your LSAT is too low for not being a URM. GPA will probably get you a spot high on the WL though.

Good thing about Levin is that they usually take a good number of people from the waitlist. Good luck.

*Disclaimer*. I'm not going to Levin in the Fall.

awass17

Postby awass17 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Umm... Retake?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:20 am

Neo wrote:Only two responses :(

Anyone else have some input??

You reeealllly need to retake. Your shot is decent without it, if this cycle is anything like the last cycle, but if you want to really have a good shot, 1 or 2 more points would do you very well.

vanburen81

Postby vanburen81 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I think posters are being a little pessemistic. Certainly UF is a "target" school for you, which means there's a decent chance you won't get in. But I think your chances are better than 50/50 considering GPA and fact that you're a resident. If you're not going to retake LSAT, then really emphasize that UF is your top choice, you are from Florida, want to practice law in Florida, are obsessed with the Gators, etc. in your PS. And apply to FSU as another target and a couple of other safety schools.

Return to “What are my chances?”