Part-URM 3.81/172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cornelldude12
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby cornelldude12 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Hey, I've got a pretty steady 3.81 and 172 with one take at a low Ivy. I'm also part Mexican, but not exactly intertwined with the culture. I'm worried about my majors, which are Applied Economics and Management/Information Science. I have decent EC's, but they don't have to do too much with law...

What are my chances at:
Cornell
G-town
Columbia
UVA
NYU
Penn
And YHS just for the lawls.

Thank you kind people.

rklafehn
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby rklafehn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 pm

If considered an URM and having average softs:

Y = out
H = coin flip
S = coin flip

All the rest you look pretty golden!

If not considered an URM and having average softs:

Y = out
H = out
S = 25%
C = coin flip

All the rest look pretty golden!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:09 am

rklafehn wrote:If considered an URM and having average softs:

Y = out
H = coin flip
S = coin flip

All the rest you look pretty golden!

If not considered an URM and having average softs:

Y = out
H = out
S = 25%
C = coin flip

All the rest look pretty golden!


I think you're probably a little bit better than a coin flip at Columbia on the not considered URM w/ average softs. 3.81 is near their 75th and 172 is the median. Not in for sure by probably a little bit better than a coin flip.

I pretty much agree with you on the rest, although I'm wondering if you can write a compelling DS if you might actually have a little bit better odds at H and S, on the URM scenario.

cornelldude12
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby cornelldude12 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Okay, how are they exactly going to be able to determine if I'm considered a URM or not? I can talk about my background and such, but honestly the only way I've ever been disadvantaged is because of my parent's divorce. Like I said, I can talk about some things related to being half-Mexican, but should I write a DS about that? Will they consider me a URM if I don't write one?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby jks289 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm

cornelldude12 wrote:Okay, how are they exactly going to be able to determine if I'm considered a URM or not? I can talk about my background and such, but honestly the only way I've ever been disadvantaged is because of my parent's divorce. Like I said, I can talk about some things related to being half-Mexican, but should I write a DS about that? Will they consider me a URM if I don't write one?


Check the Mexican box. Write a diversity statement. If you don't feel you have much ethnic ties then write about your "struggle" to find a sense of your cultural identity, being bi-racial, being mexican in a white/black/mixed hispanic community etc. As long as you are factually honest I think it is ok to play it up a bit. You're a URM, and they'll consider you one.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:52 pm

cornelldude12 wrote:Okay, how are they exactly going to be able to determine if I'm considered a URM or not? I can talk about my background and such, but honestly the only way I've ever been disadvantaged is because of my parent's divorce. Like I said, I can talk about some things related to being half-Mexican, but should I write a DS about that? Will they consider me a URM if I don't write one?

They'll probably be willing to consider you one just by identifying as Mexican-American on your app. However, the consideration means looking for factors that'll add diversity, so a DS will help. It doesn't have to necessarily be a DS about being Mexican, though; you can talk about your parents' divorce and the effects it had on you in it, if it really does indicate disadvantage you've had to live through.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby 20121109 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 pm

cornelldude12 wrote:Okay, how are they exactly going to be able to determine if I'm considered a URM or not? I can talk about my background and such, but honestly the only way I've ever been disadvantaged is because of my parent's divorce. Like I said, I can talk about some things related to being half-Mexican, but should I write a DS about that? Will they consider me a URM if I don't write one?


URM status only pertains to race. The fact that you're disadvantaged because of your parents' divorce may help with some socioeconomic diversity, but it won't have any effect on your URM status. You're Mexican and therefore, you're a URM. Always write a DS when you can. I'm a URM but I didn't write a DS because I didn't want to repeat the same things I wrote in my PS. I doubt it had a negative effect. They will still consider you a URM even if you don't write one, however. But if you have something substantial to add to your candidacy, you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't write one.

Good luck :)

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Part-URM 3.81/172

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:URM status only pertains to race. The fact that you're disadvantaged because of your parents' divorce may help with some socioeconomic diversity, but it won't have any effect on your URM status. You're Mexican and therefore, you're a URM. Always write a DS when you can. I'm a URM but I didn't write a DS because I didn't want to repeat the same things I wrote in my PS. I doubt it had a negative effect. They will still consider you a URM even if you don't write one, however. But if you have something substantial to add to your candidacy, you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't write one.

Good luck :)

This is an excellent response, and better than what I wrote.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MichiganHoosier, youngwarrior and 2 guests