Should I ED to UCLA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Should I ED?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 19

jtemp320

Should I ED to UCLA

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 pm

LSAC GPA 3.86ish from a T20 undergrad (but my degree granting GPA was lower -3.67)

167 on the LSAT

good softs (work experience ect.)- non-URM

I am thinking of retaking the October LSAT but have generally PT'd from 165 to 170 (though I did get the 167 with 10 wrong on the games and I want to believe I can do better then that)

Would love to be considered by Berkeley but I would be very very happy at UCLA

I could use $$ but if EDing would be a huge boost that would allow me to be confident I would get in at UCLA then I'll strongly consider doing that and not taking the October LSAT

Thoughts, advice?

Woozy

Re: Should I ED to UCLA

Postby Woozy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Please study and retake. 2-3 points and you could be going to Boalt or UCLA with $$. That's within your range even without studying, so with some concerted efforts you should be able to hit 170+ and go almost anywhere. Do not waste your GPA.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Woozy - thanks! I understand your point and mostly agree -

I am just getting nervous about doing worse in October as I did study pretty hard the first time and am truly awful at logic games. Another meltdown on the LG section with a slightly less solid performance on LR and RC (where I am strong) and I could easily end up with a 164 or 5 lowering my score for schools that average and leaving me applying RD at UCLA with a high score of 167.

That said, I am leaning towards retaking

Anyone else?

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Woozy - thanks! I understand your point and mostly agree -

I am just getting nervous about doing worse in October as I did study pretty hard the first time and am truly awful at logic games. Another meltdown on the LG section with a slightly less solid performance on LR and RC (where I am strong) and I could easily end up with a 164 or 5 lowering my score for schools that average and leaving me applying RD at UCLA with a high score of 167.

That said, I am leaning towards retaking

Anyone else?

First, if you study diligently and intelligently, you will reduce the chances of a meltdown. You may even be able to reduce them to a negligible level if you have the sort of breakthrough that many people report after serious LG practice.

Second, none of the schools in your range average. Although scoring lower will definitely be a slight negative, it will not hurt you too much. It's probably worth the risk even if you stay in your current range. Definitely worth it if you can improve a bit.

Third, you will receive your October score around the end of October and would still have time to apply ED to UCLA.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Those are all good points - thanks for your advice.

I've been so obsessed with getting every app in on the first day I can I didn't realize the fact I can wait to see what my new score is and then ED to UCLA if it makes sense.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:46 am

You'll get in without the ED.

calbears619

Postby calbears619 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Retake or not that gpa gives you a good shot at Boalt or UCLA (especially since Boalt looks at GPA more than LSAT)...Why ED and miss out on possibly getting some $$?

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:22 pm

I wouldn't ED. You haven't given us a strong case for why you want to go to UCLA so badly that you're willing to forfeit any other chances you might have at peer schools...or better ones for that matter.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:09 am

ED if you want, but you might get in with your current numbers and get some $$ to boot.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 am

SHARK WEEK! wrote:ED if you want, but you might get in with your current numbers and get some $$ to boot.

Agreed.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks!

My reasons for UCLA are most of all that its a t-15 school that is just a few blocks from where I currently live and have a great life. If you all don't think I need to ED to be a probable then thats great to hear. I would love to go to Boalt because I have always loved the Bay Area and love Berkeley (almost went there undergrad and sometimes regretted that I didn't).

Currently my plan is to retake - thanks for the advice.

Return to “What are my chances?”