Penn vs. UChi and NYU

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dresden doll

Re: Penn vs. UChi and NYU

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 pm

quakeroats wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
quakeroats wrote: I'd say the same thing is true for most schools, but law school isn't really about that, now is it?

I wouldn't say that at all. Being admitted to A law school is not indicative of anything. Being admitted to a competitive, solid law school is.

We agree. This means you probably did something wrong.

Not sure what you're talking about in re: 'doing something wrong,' but if it's some sort of a potshot at what you think my grades were, I suggest refraining from further pursuing the point. It won't help your case.

I'm not going to get into the 'doing something wrong' discussions. All I'm saying is that a curve is designed to distinguish among people, however artificially. If you placed a 100 genius scientists on a curve, someone would HAVE to come in dead last. The smallest mistake would suffice. I don't call that 'issues;' I call that the reality of the curve. That's all.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
quakeroats wrote: I'd say the same thing is true for most schools, but law school isn't really about that, now is it?

I wouldn't say that at all. Being admitted to A law school is not indicative of anything. Being admitted to a competitive, solid law school is.

:lol: you're cute. where are going to school?

My school and your avatar have something in common.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:07 pm

IAFG wrote: :lol: you're cute. where are going to school?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say he's a 0L. Not that that makes him any less cute.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:16 pm

dresden doll wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about in re: 'doing something wrong,' but if it's some sort of a potshot at what you think my grades were, I suggest refraining from further pursuing the point. It won't help your case.

I'm not going to get into the 'doing something wrong' discussions. All I'm saying is that a curve is designed to distinguish among people, however artificially. If you placed a 100 genius scientists on a curve, someone would HAVE to come in dead last. The smallest mistake would suffice. I don't call that 'issues;' I call that the reality of the curve. That's all.

I made no reference to your grades, nor did I even know you were in law school. Since you brought it up, you're no doubt aware that many law students try to explain away their grades with similar analogies.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:31 pm

quakeroats wrote:
I made no reference to your grades, nor did I even know you were in law school. Since you brought it up, you're no doubt aware that many law students try to explain away their grades with similar analogies.

I don't have a dog in this fight but you do realize that an argument's popularity doesn't make it any less credible.

A bunch of really smart kids at all of the top schools are going to be on the wrong end of the curve. Doesn't make them any less, really smart.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:35 pm

miamiman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

I don't have a dog in this fight but you do realize that an argument's popularity doesn't make it any less credible.

A bunch of really smart kids at all of the top schools are going to be on the wrong end of the curve. Doesn't make them any less, really smart.

Basically all I was getting at.

Would love to know what the 'you probably did something wrong' was in reference to then Looked an awful lot like an attempt at a grade-related potshot to me. And, no, I haven't heard a single person in my class attempt to explain away their grades. At all. See for further reference, the post where I mentioned I had no clue who the bottom third of my class was and was persuaded nonetheless that it consisted of intelligent and capable people.

Incidentally, that probably ought to have been a dead giveaway that I do attend a law school atm.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Would love to know what the 'you probably did something wrong' was in reference to then Looked an awful lot like an attempt at a grade-related potshot to me.

Our earlier conversation:
quakeroats wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

My point was that I agreed with you that being admitted to a competitive law school is indicative of something. The issue is more of what and how much, rather than whether or not.

At all. See for further reference, the post where I mentioned I had no clue who the bottom third of my class was and was persuaded nonetheless that it consisted of intelligent and capable people.

Incidentally, that probably ought to have been a dead giveaway that I do attend a law school atm

You're actual statement:
dresden doll wrote: I dunno who the bottom third percent at my school is, but I'd be willing to bet they're damn intelligent regardless of the class rank.

I wouldn't say that's enough to identify you as a current student.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 pm

quakeroats wrote:I wouldn't say that's enough to identify you as a current student.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize you were using 'you' in the collective sense.

As far as there being enough info to out me as a current student, I really do think that statement should suffice. You don't think I'd refer to my UG class to demonstrate the point in re: LS curve, do you? Anyway, agree to disagree.

I would apologize to OP for detracting, but the question is sufficiently silly for me to refrain from that.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:
quakeroats wrote:I wouldn't say that's enough to identify you as a current student.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize you were using 'you' in the collective sense.

As far as there being enough info to out me as a current student, I really do think that statement should suffice. You don't think I'd refer to my UG class to demonstrate the point in re: LS curve, do you? Anyway, agree to disagree.

I would apologize to OP for detracting, but the question is sufficiently silly for me to refrain from that.

I don't know who's in the bottom thirty percent at my school, but I'd be willing to bet they're damn intelligent regardless of their class rank.

Do you see how that can still work even though I haven't started law school?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:00 pm

quakeroats wrote:I don't know who's in the bottom thirty percent at my school, but I'd be willing to bet they're damn intelligent regardless of their class rank.

Dude, I ask you again - why would I rely on the UG curve to demonstrate a point in re: LS curve? UG and LS are two completely different beasts in every respect, curve included.

Yes, I suppose it COULD work. But is it likely that would be what I'd mean? Absolutely not. Come on now. It's always safer to assume what's more probable.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:29 pm

dresden doll wrote:
quakeroats wrote:I don't know who's in the bottom thirty percent at my school, but I'd be willing to bet they're damn intelligent regardless of their class rank.

Dude, I ask you again - why would I rely on the UG curve to demonstrate a point in re: LS curve? UG and LS are two completely different beasts in every respect, curve included.

Yes, I suppose it COULD work. But is it likely that would be what I'd mean? Absolutely not. Come on now. It's always safer to assume what's more probable.

I'm referring not to undergrad, but to law school. It's perfectly appropriate, as an incoming 1L, to refer to current (or future) students and classmates with the sentence we're waisting time on.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:31 pm

quakeroats wrote:I'm referring not to undergrad, but to law school. It's perfectly appropriate, as an incoming 1L, to refer to current (or future) students and classmates with the sentence we're waisting time on.

Why in the God's name would I refer to future classmates with a remark regarding class rank in present tense?

You clearly can't admit that you failed to infer what you should have been able to infer. I quit.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:58 pm

dresden doll wrote:
quakeroats wrote:I'm referring not to undergrad, but to law school. It's perfectly appropriate, as an incoming 1L, to refer to current (or future) students and classmates with the sentence we're waisting time on.

Why in the God's name would I refer to future classmates with a remark regarding class rank in present tense?

You clearly can't admit that you failed to infer what you should have been able to infer. I quit.

You'll look back fondly on this topic one day. I here we haven't lived until the fourth hour of a yes-Virginia-there-is-an-oxford-comma associate bitchfest.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm

:lol: sorta glad my salon appt prevented me from keeping up ITT

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm

IAFG wrote::lol: sorta glad my salon appt prevented me from keeping up ITT

Did you figure out my school without cheating, i.e., looking at previous posts?

Return to “What are my chances?”