Penn vs. UChi and NYU

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bofaem

Re: Penn vs. UChi and NYU

Postby bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:06 pm

haha well i guess ill explain why im so concerned about other non legal people...im not so sure i want to do big law my whole life, and i want to have my options open so i want to know how people outside the legal community view different schools

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Emma. wrote:Go to GULC. Of all the schools I got into, for some reason people seemed most impressed by Georgetown.

Either GULC or Cornell are the TCR. Nevermind the public school sounding-Chicago or Penn State. Go for the gold, young grasshopper.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Emma. wrote:Go to GULC. Of all the schools I got into, for some reason people seemed most impressed by Georgetown.

My stepdad still wonders aloud in my presence why I would turn GULC down for some school in Chicago he'd never heard of before I went to interview there.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm

bofaem wrote:haha well i guess ill explain why im so concerned about other non legal people...im not so sure i want to do big law my whole life, and i want to have my options open so i want to know how people outside the legal community view different schools

do you think the sophisticated people outside the legal community for whom you might eventually want to work are too stupid to figure out law school reputations among lawyers/judges (i.e. people who matter and know)?

thechee

Postby thechee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
czelede wrote:
IAFG wrote:here on the west coast, no one would know anything about any of those schools. oddly, they're impressed by georgetown though.

Haha, same in the midwest. Georgetown Law garners all kinds of "Oohs".

Yea wtf is with that. It does have a cool name. Georgetown Mill of Diplomas.

Georgetown sounds lawyerish and political.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
czelede wrote:
IAFG wrote:here on the west coast, no one would know anything about any of those schools. oddly, they're impressed by georgetown though.

I think in another thread someone had concluded that any school named after a location automatically kills the lay prestige.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:09 pm

bofaem wrote:haha well i guess ill explain why im so concerned about other non legal people...im not so sure i want to do big law my whole life, and i want to have my options open so i want to know how people outside the legal community view different schools

then focus on going to an impressive firm then doing impressive work and getting assigned to impressive clients so the people who take biglaw refugees will be impressed.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm

dresden doll wrote:

Either GULC or Cornell are the TCR. Nevermind the public school sounding-Chicago or Penn State. Go for the gold, young grasshopper.

Cornell isn't the TCR. It's got reputation, reputation for being the shittiest Ivy. Columbia or GTFO.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm

czelede wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
czelede wrote:

I think in another thread someone had concluded that any school named after a location automatically kills the lay prestige.

Georgetown is named after a location? So is Columbia, IIRC.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm

czelede wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
czelede wrote:

This is TCR, IMO.

edit: For this to work it needs to be a location that laypeople recognize as a location.
Last edited by Emma. on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm

czelede wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
czelede wrote:

Is Georgetown a place?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:12 pm

If you're concern is Big Law placement Chicago wins by a mile even in New York. However, if you end up well south of median you could be stuck in the Midwest.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 pm

quakeroats wrote:If you're concern is Big Law placement Chicago wins by a mile even in New York. However, if you end up well south of median you could be stuck in the Midwest.

wait is this true? do uchi students who do poorly suddenly find their degrees less portable?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Emma. wrote:
czelede wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
czelede wrote:here on the west coast, no one would know anything about any of those schools. oddly, they're impressed by georgetown though.

This is TCR, IMO.

edit: For this to work it needs to be a location that laypeople recognize as a location.

Did you just say Columbia was named after a person and edit FTW?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
quakeroats wrote:If you're concern is Big Law placement Chicago wins by a mile even in New York. However, if you end up well south of median you could be stuck in the Midwest.

wait is this true? do uchi students who do poorly suddenly find their degrees less portable?

I'm pretty sure if I was sub median at UChi I'd aim for NYC only. At least ITE. NYC is the easiest market.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:16 pm

IAFG wrote:

Before ITE not really, but if you can't make it past 70 percent you might have some issues.

thechee

Postby thechee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Is Georgetown a place?

Yes, I vacation there every summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgetown,_Maine

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:17 pm

doyleoil wrote:

do you think the sophisticated people outside the legal community for whom you might eventually want to work are too stupid to figure out law school reputations among lawyers/judges (i.e. people who matter and know)?

Is that a rhetorical question? Quite clearly, my friend, the answer here is a resounding yes.

Do the good deed and encourage OP to steer clear of TTTs like Chicago.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I'm pretty sure if I was sub median at UChi I'd aim for NYC only. At least ITE. NYC is the easiest market.

strooooooooock; stroooooooooooooooooock

(*said in lamenting tone, a la Kramer pining for the Kenny Roger's*)

also, tongue-in-cheek - i just couldn't help myself

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

strooooooooock; stroooooooooooooooooock

(*said in lamenting tone, a la Kramer pining for the Kenny Roger's*)

also, tongue-in-cheek - i just couldn't help myself

I don't even get the reference.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I guess midwest could mean Minneapolis and Omaha

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
I don't even get the reference.

if you don't watch seinfeld, then we're done here

bofaem

Postby bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

Is that a rhetorical question? Quite clearly, my friend, the answer here is a resounding yes.

Do the good deed and encourage OP to steer clear of TTTs like Chicago.

I'm not hating on chicago, it was actually my first choice UG and id liked it a lot there--and there's a pretty good chance i ED there

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:23 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I guess midwest could mean Minneapolis and Omaha

Here's what it meant pre(ish)-ITE: --LinkRemoved--

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:24 pm

bofaem wrote:

I'm not hating on chicago, it was actually my first choice UG and id liked it a lot there--and there's a pretty good chance i ED there

we're always happy to have people who have seen the light - we're just here to shake you out of your silliness sooner rather than later - it's an act of kindness (no matter what it looks like on the surface)

Return to “What are my chances?”