Penn vs. UChi and NYU Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bofaem

New

Penn vs. UChi and NYU

Post by bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 am

So I know CCN is better than MVP but how do uchi and nyu stack up against Penn? penn seems to get more love in terms of prestige and their biglaw placement has to be almost identical--does Penn get the edge then?

doyleoil

Silver

Re: Penn vs. UChi and NYU

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:28 am

bofaem wrote:So I know CCN is better than MVP but how do uchi and nyu stack up against Penn? penn seems to get more love in terms of prestige and their biglaw placement has to be almost identical--does Penn get the edge then?
no - i hth

eta: penn also loses points for having some of worst human beings imaginable among their undergrad population

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 am

bofaem wrote:penn seems to get more love in terms of prestige
I haven't noticed this.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:33 am

bofaem wrote:So I know CCN is better than MVP but how do uchi and nyu stack up against Penn? penn seems to get more love in terms of prestige and their biglaw placement has to be almost identical--does Penn get the edge then?
Their football team seals the deal.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:34 am

doyleoil wrote:
no - i hth

eta: penn also loses points for having some of worst human beings imaginable among their undergrad population
qft

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bofaem

New

Post by bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 am

i felt like the ivy thing had some impact--and general perception among lay people, which really doesnt matter, but something, sadly, that i consider important

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:45 am

Penn State is a good school guys but its still T2.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:Penn State is a good school guys but its still T2.
The crucial point ITT.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:48 am

bofaem wrote:i felt like the ivy thing had some impact--and general perception among lay people, which really doesnt matter, but something, sadly, that i consider important
Many, but not nearly all, lay people that I've talked to don't seem to be aware that Penn is an Ivy. I've heard, "oh, that's the one that isn't Penn State, right?" Now granted, that's generally among those who didn't go to college, or who did and just don't keep up with it. But most people who know a little something about colleges do seem to know that Penn is an Ivy. It's name doesn't strike the average person as immediately Ivy to the same degree that Harvard, Yale, or Princeton do.

edit: typo
Last edited by You Gotta Have Faith on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am

bofaem wrote:i felt like the ivy thing had some impact--and general perception among lay people, which really doesnt matter, but something, sadly, that i consider important
Your feelings are deeply wrong. Same goes for the priorities, in case you really care for laymen's thoughts more so than the opinions of those that actually matter, i.e. the legal profession.

bofaem

New

Post by bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am

good point it's probably all just in my head...i guess most people who know penn is ivy also know uchi and nyu are good ls

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 am

dresden doll wrote:
The crucial point ITT.
eh I liked the comment about the football team... it was more subtle.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:54 am

dresden doll wrote:
The crucial point ITT.
I went out for drinks last night with Penn 0L who listens to Glenn Beck. I'm fired up with anti-Penn trolling.

Penn is a public ivy, that's almost as good as ivy right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

bofaem wrote:good point it's probably all just in my head...i guess most people who know penn is ivy also know uchi and nyu are good ls
Who are you talking about? Legal profession or laymen? If former, then yes. If latter, then no.

If you're really so into impressing people, I'm happy to tell you that my boss -who went to NYU - loves bringing me in to client meetings and informing the client that I'm his SA who 'goes to UChicago.' I also add that clients always know what he is talking about and are consequently duly impressed.

To me, that's more relevant over having a random layperson at a bar fawn over the IVY DEGREE. To each their own, however.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:56 am

Lay prestige depends on who you're trying to impress, really, once you get outside of HYS. So it's kind of a pointless conversation.

For "laypeople":

Anywhere West of the East Coast: Penn = Penn State, NYU = that party school the Olsen Twins go to/hippie artists. Or NYLS.

Anywhere but the midwest (and sometimes in the midwest): UChi = UIC? State school in Illinois?

As for the Midwest itself, half the people assume that when you talk about Columbia you really mean Columbia College (tiny little artsy school in the city) so I wouldn't expect them to think too highly of NYU/Penn.

I suppose if you are out East or if most of your friends are fairly educated (familiar with undergraduate school standings, medical school standings, business school standings, etc), Penn will grant you some Ivy prestige over NYU.

Overall, I would say that there is a common perception that it goes: CC > N > MVP; Chicago has great placement in clerkships and academia, as well as the widest reach of the three. Penn and NYU place about evenly outside of NYC. NYU has stronger programs and better faculty.

bofaem

New

Post by bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:57 am

chicago gets the same shit too...i considered going there for UG and i brought it up with a kid who lives in chicago. he looked at me and started throwing out all these schools like UI and chicago state something, insisting there was no school called the university of chicago that wasnt part of the Illinois public system

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:58 am

bofaem wrote:chicago gets the same shit too...i considered going there for UG and i brought it up with a kid who lives in chicago. he looked at me and started throwing out all these schools like UI and chicago state something, insisting there was no school called the university of chicago that wasnt part of the Illinois public system
Who cares these people won't be hiring you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bofaem

New

Post by bofaem » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:59 am

columbia's gotta garner a little more in prestige to lay laypeople not legal laypeople than say uchi and nyu, right?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Upon further consideration, I've come to the conclusion that you should target Ivies only. Leave Chicago off the list - it'll never impress girls you try to chat up at bars, and that would be a grave misfortune.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:01 pm

dresden doll wrote:Upon further consideration, I've come to the conclusion that you should target Ivies only. Leave Chicago off the list - it'll never impress girls you try to chat up at bars, and that would be a grave misfortune.
Stop hating Dres, he's going to lose that vcard yet!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 pm

here on the west coast, no one would know anything about any of those schools. oddly, they're impressed by georgetown though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:03 pm

bofaem wrote:columbia's gotta garner a little more in prestige to lay laypeople not legal laypeople than say uchi and nyu, right?
Would that be British Columbia, or that place in South America with drug problems?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm

IAFG wrote:here on the west coast, no one would know anything about any of those schools. oddly, they're impressed by georgetown though.
Haha, same in the midwest. Georgetown Law garners all kinds of "Oohs".

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Go to GULC. Of all the schools I got into, for some reason people seemed most impressed by Georgetown.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:05 pm

czelede wrote:
IAFG wrote:here on the west coast, no one would know anything about any of those schools. oddly, they're impressed by georgetown though.
Haha, same in the midwest. Georgetown Law garners all kinds of "Oohs".
Yea wtf is with that. It does have a cool name. Georgetown Mill of Diplomas.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”