What schools for someone with 3 years of work experience

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nosaj123

What schools for someone with 3 years of work experience

Postby nosaj123 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what schools I can expect to get into. It's easy enough to tell based on your LSAT/GPA for the typical undergrad applying to law school, but I haven't received much guidance for people with work experience. I would really appreciate any guidance you can provide regarding schools I could expect to get into, and hopefully it will also be useful to others in my situation.

LSAT: 169
GPA 3.55 (From a US News top 20, if it matters)

Work experience: 3 years as a busness analyst at a fortune 500 company (provide significant support to the pet projects of many executives). Previously, 1/2 a year working in real estate based financial sales for a small firm in NYC (commission based, left soon after the Bear Sterns collapse as there was little business for the most junior employee)
LORs: Will all be from current employer as I have not spoken to any professors in 3 years (I expect them to be very good, but not gushing)
Extracurriculars: I do alumni work such as representing my former university at local college fairs, but have no others now, and had none in college
Region: Law schools will see that I currently work in NC (but have Virginia residency) and went to college in the Mid West. However, they may not see that I also spent more than 10 years living in the North East and 5 in So Cal (I mention this because I've heard that schools prefer to accept people who they believe will have ties to the local community and people who they think are more likely to matriculate because they have shown a willingness to live in the area)
URM: Nope, just your typical white male from a middle/upper middle class background

I appreciate your feedback and insights!

jks289

Re: What schools for someone with 3 years of work experience

Postby jks289 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 pm

GPA/LSAT counts for 97%. Use lawschoolpredictor.com to find reasonable ranges. The WE is a plus and might help you squeeze into Northwestern if you ED and do a great interview. Other than that you're looking at acceptances somewhere below the t12, and money below the top 15 or 16. Good luck.

nosaj123

Postby nosaj123 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Nightrunner wrote:a. Unless you are terrible at writing resumes, law schools will see where you have been for the last few years...so they should know about your geographic variety.

b. Find at least one academic letter of recommendation. Seriously.

Otherwise, I imagine that jks' advice is pretty close to accurate.

Thank you for the feedback Nightrunner. The issues with an academic LOR is something that is concerning to me, and likely to many others who have been out of school 2-5 years, a period in which law schools may still expect an academic LOR, but also long enough for most relationships to have faded.

Do you have any idea just how unfavorable it will look to not have an academic LOR? Also, where did you(/where can I) get more information regarding the importance of academic LORs. I'm worried about receiving a mediocre recommendation from professors I had great relationships with years ago, but who's memory of me has probably faded over the years to the point where I may not be very distinguishable from the mass of other students they have taught.

Thank you

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 pm

It would be extremely unfavorable not to have an academic LOR.

Sounds like you are lazy and don't want to get one.

You not applying for a job. You are applying to a school.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:40 am

jks289 wrote:GPA/LSAT counts for 97%. Use lawschoolpredictor.com to find reasonable ranges. The WE is a plus and might help you squeeze into Northwestern if you ED and do a great interview. Other than that you're looking at acceptances somewhere below the t12, and money below the top 15 or 16. Good luck.

With that low GPA, NU is not realistic without a 170+ LSAT.

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

I wouldn't stress too much about the academic LOR. I had three LORs, none academic. One was from my current supervisor, one from an executive, and one from a practicing attorney that I've worked with.

The work experience, if used well in your personal statement, may help you get off a waitlist at a reach school. But let's face it, as long as you don't have a PS or LORs that hurt you, they are largely irrelevant if your LSAT and GPA are in the school's sweet spot.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 am

Lawof_theLand wrote:I wouldn't stress too much about the academic LOR. I had three LORs, none academic. One was from my current supervisor, one from an executive, and one from a practicing attorney that I've worked with.

having a academic letter of rec may be necessary for the top (20?) schools, but not having one didnt hurt me a bit. I was out of school for 4 years, and instead got my bosses to write letter of recs. If the schools you are applying to specifically say they want one, then thats the route to go. if not, and you think your employer can write a stronger one, do that.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:35 am

I didn't have any academic LORs and I don't think it affected my cycle. Then again, I've got a lot more than 2-5 years of WE so they might have understood why I didn't have any academic LORs.

On a related note to OP. Like it was said before ITT, LSAT and UG GPA is about 97% of your application. The WE is nice but I seriously doubt it's a difference maker in the grand scheme of things. Good luck tho, a 169/3.55 is nice.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 am

If you applied ED to Virginia I think that you would get in. In-state residency is huge.

Return to “What are my chances?”