3.72/167, odds at top 20 schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
renegade811

3.72/167, odds at top 20 schools?

Postby renegade811 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Going to retake the LSAT in October, as my 167 was several points below my practice test scores. I'm confident I can score a 170-172. I go to a small college with extremely difficult academics (ranked 98/99 from Princeton Review), where I'm a philosophy major with a minor in Russian. White/male.

Mock Trial Co-Captain, Co-Chair of Pre-Law, Resident Assistant, Senior Admissions Interviewer, 4 summers spent interning at law firms in NYC, and various other extracurriculars.

What do you guys think of my chances in the top 20 (with either my current LSAT, or with the caveat that I get say, a 170 in October)?

Michigan (ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Georgetown
Duke
USC

How about places like Minnesota? BU/BC?

OrdinarilySkilled

Re: 3.72/167, odds at top 20 schools?

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 pm

I have almost the exact same numbers, 3.71/168 with slightly lesser softs. The sense I am getting is that I/you would be out at all of those schools except maybe Cornell. I am also retaking in Oct. I think a 170 would get you in to all of them except maybe Michigan/UVA.

Pretty sure in at BC/BU and Minn.

Other people will have a better idea then me on the chances but I thought I'd tag since my #'s are close.

camstant

Postby camstant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 am

Current LSAT: w/l at michigan, georgetown, cornell. out higher up. good to go at minn, bu, and bc.

170+: pretty good shot at all of them with maybe a w/l or two thrown in

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:49 am

Chances at:

Michigan (ED?) - zero
Cornell - small
UVA - zero
Georgetown - close to zero
Duke - zero
USC - almost 100%

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Last edited by anniesaysrelax on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Why not Vandy, UCLA, and Texas?

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:57 pm

For what its worth, 167 3.5 and I got GW, so GW and up is looking good (ranking # wise), Im not sure where your numbers get you though on the other side of the coin. Apply early though.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:30 pm

renegade811 wrote:Going to retake the LSAT in October, as my 167 was several points below my practice test scores. I'm confident I can score a 170-172. I go to a small college with extremely difficult academics (ranked 98/99 from Princeton Review), where I'm a philosophy major with a minor in Russian. White/male.

Mock Trial Co-Captain, Co-Chair of Pre-Law, Resident Assistant, Senior Admissions Interviewer, 4 summers spent interning at law firms in NYC, and various other extracurriculars.

What do you guys think of my chances in the top 20 (with either my current LSAT, or with the caveat that I get say, a 170 in October)?

Michigan (ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Georgetown
Duke
USC

with your current stats,

unrealistic reach: duke, michigan, UVA, georgetown, ucla
realistic reach: vandy
target: cornell, nd
strong target: texas, usc, gw
safety: bc, bu, emory, illinois, wustl, fordham

what really matters is your stats and, to schools like Northwestern, if you have some years of full time work experience. obviously, with a 170 you'd be much more competitive for the schools i characterize as unrealistic. also i wouldn't send in an ED application until you get your new score...you could improve so much so that a top 6 school could be an option for you.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 pm

najumobi wrote:
renegade811 wrote:Going to retake the LSAT in October, as my 167 was several points below my practice test scores. I'm confident I can score a 170-172. I go to a small college with extremely difficult academics (ranked 98/99 from Princeton Review), where I'm a philosophy major with a minor in Russian. White/male.

Michigan (ED?)
Cornell
UVA
Georgetown
Duke
USC

with your current stats,

what really matters is your stats and, to schools like Northwestern, if you have some years of full time work experience. obviously, with a 170 you'd be much more competitive for the schools i characterize as unrealistic. also i wouldn't send in an ED application until you get your new score...you could improve so much so that a top 6 school could be an option for you.

Egregious anti-UMN trolling, especially seeing as OP specifically mentioned Minnesota.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Michigan (ED): Maybe ED but WL
Cornell: In
UVA: WL
Georgetown: WL
Duke: WL
USC: In
Minnesota: In
BU: In
BC: In

I think you could get into Cornell with the 167. Good luck!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
najumobi wrote:with your current stats,

Egregious anti-UMN trolling, especially seeing as OP specifically mentioned Minnesota.

lol...well i consider those schools i listed as safety schools to be better than minn.
minnesota is also a safety.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 pm

najumobi wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
najumobi wrote:with your current stats,

lol...well i consider those schools i listed as safety schools to be better than minn.
minnesota is also a safety.

Follow-up anti-UMN trolling :evil:

(not implying it's not a safety for OP, however)

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:08 pm

im_blue wrote:Chances at:

Michigan (ED?) - zero
Cornell - small
UVA - zero
Georgetown - close to zero
Duke - zero
USC - almost 100%

Cornell is a small chance with an LSAT at Median and a GPA above median with what seem to be good softs... there is quite a bit more then a small chance here

renegade811

Postby renegade811 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks for the advice folks!

I'm pretty confident I can get up to 170, or maybe even a point or two higher than that (depending on test day variables).

Now I guess a secondary question would be: what are my chances for scholarships at the 15-25 schools? I've looked at some profiles and such on LSN, but there seems to be a lot of variation.

Return to “What are my chances?”