List advice for a splitter?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
okfine

List advice for a splitter?

Postby okfine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:17 pm

First off, thanks to everyone for all the content on this forum. It's been invaluable. Here's what I've got:

174/3.1

Non-trad applicant with underwhelming WE. GPA is deceptive: 2.35 for three years, then four years off, then 3.75 for four years. I know they won't care much about this, but it's as strongly rising as could be.

I want to stay where it's warm (it's frustrating that NW and UIUC are in the middle of Siberia).

Which schools would you cut from this list (if any--how many schools is too many for a splitter)? How safe are my safeties?

UVA
Duke
GULC
Texas
UCLA
Vandy
USC
GW
Emory
W&M
Wake Forest
Tulane
SMU
San Diego
Houston
Baylor
St. Mary's--San Antonio

Thanks everyone!

Re: List advice for a splitter?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:21 pm

okfine wrote:First off, thanks to everyone for all the content on this forum. It's been invaluable. Here's what I've got:

174/3.1

Non-trad applicant with underwhelming WE. GPA is deceptive: 2.35 for three years, then four years off, then 3.75 for four years. I know they won't care much about this, but it's as strongly rising as could be.

I want to stay where it's warm (it's frustrating that NW and UIUC are in the middle of Siberia).

Which schools would you cut from this list (if any--how many schools is too many for a splitter)? How safe are my safeties?

UVA
Duke
GULC
Texas
UCLA
Vandy
USC
GW
Emory
W&M
Wake Forest
Tulane
SMU
San Diego
Houston
Baylor
St. Mary's--San Antonio

Thanks everyone!

Apply ED to UVA.

okfine

Postby okfine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Apply ED to UVA.

What's the accepted wisdom regarding Dean Trujillo's talk about giving $$ to ED folks? Myth? Only for URMs? Or would I have a shot?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 pm

okfine wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Apply ED to UVA.

What's the accepted wisdom regarding Dean Trujillo's talk about giving $$ to ED folks? Myth? Only for URMs? Or would I have a shot?

Even if it's not a myth you won't get any.

But you won't get any money at the T14, and only small money in the top 50 anyway.

UVA2013

Postby UVA2013 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Those were my exact numbers and I got in ED at UVA. But no, you won't get any money there (ED or regular). Sorry, GPA's just too low.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm

Short answer: don't cut any from the list. If you are a genuine splitter like that, I think that applying to at least 15+ schools is a fantastic idea... not even kidding at all. I wouldn't go much beyond 25 or so schools, just to keep it manageable.

If you are dead set on UVA, then I suppose you could apply there ED, like Desert Fox suggests. That's not what I would personally do in your situation given your LSAT, but it's not a terrible idea if that's a school that appeals to you. Just keep in mind that you will get zero money if you do this.

With an LSAT that high, you may get some amount of money from USC. You will probably get a fair amount of money from Emory. And you might even pull a whole lot at a place like Wake or Tulane. I guess the reason I wouldn't ED is because all that money could be more appealing when you step back and look at it. But it's really your call.

Regardless of whether you ED or not, I would add Penn, Northwestern and Michigan to your list just in case the warmer UVA or Duke don't work out. Might as well not deprive yourself from an excellent law school, unless you just must have warm weather.

okfine

Postby okfine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's very helpful.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Your safeties look like a lock to me, assuming your 4 years off were even partially productive. But I'm a crazy guy on the internet.

My splitter list includes only one semi-warm school that you don't have - W&L. Honestly, I'd reach even higher into the T14 if you were okay with paying sticker for it - there is absolutely no telling what will happen with your stats/story.

Good luck buddy.

okfine

Postby okfine » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:11 am

Bumi wrote:But I'm a crazy guy on the internet.

I like people who live up to their avatars :D Good call on W&L. Thanks for the well wishes--good luck to you too! See you in the splitter thread.

Return to “What are my chances?”