Am I aiming too high? Too low?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
asuusa

Am I aiming too high? Too low?

Postby asuusa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi! I posted another topic (1/4 Mexican- Am I a URM?) and I got some great feedback. Now, however, I'm curious about where I should aim. I'm attempting to create a list of schools, and I want to know how I'm doing. First of all, I've yet to take the LSAT. My last prep test was a 164, and I'm taking a class right now, as well as going through multiple books. My GPA is 3.49. It's up to you if you think the schools will give me the URM boost- see first sentence or click http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=123627. I have one year work experience, average softs, tutor ESL college students in writing & English, wrote for school paper (hard copy and online), Dean's List, Dean's Scholarship, adopted. State school. I want to live in Texas, and I don't currently live there, but I did grow up there.

My list:

Reach:

Cornell (I think it'd be cool to go to an Ivy)
UT-Texas-Austin (my absolute dream)
University of North Carolina

Target:
College of William and Mary
Washington and Lee

Safety:
Pepperdine
University of Houston

I want to live in Texas, but I also want to go to a top law school. I've looked at lawschoolpredictor and lawschoolnumbers. Those sites are great- but I think you guys might be able to provide a gut reflex that'd be really helpful.

Thanks for your time!

Deuce

Re: Am I aiming too high? Too low?

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:34 pm

Real LSAT plz

Edit: Just saying it before 90% of the posts that follow do.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Ildeuce wrote:Real LSAT plz

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Lonagan wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:Real LSAT plz

Nobody can give you a real answer without a real one.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Hey, it might help to have a real LSAT score...

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:43 pm

I will also jump on the "real LSAT needed" bandwagon BUT:

If you want to work in Texas you would be best served by going to school in Texas or a T-14. So UT, SMU and UH should definitely be on your list. Also, Duke and UVA feed pretty well into Texas as far as schools that are not in the state. If you know you want to be in Texas, take Pepperdine, UNC, W&L and W&M off the list.

Get back to us with a real LSAT score.

P.S. Going to a Ivy could be nice to tell people but UT and Cornell are too far away in rankings and Ithaca sucks.

asuusa

Postby asuusa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Okay- I apologize for posting without an LSAT. I know that's against the recommended rules, and I should have followed them. But here's my question- sorry if this goes out of this forum- I want to apply as early as possible, right? So I can have the best chance to get in. But I'm studying for the October LSAT. I'll get my results at the end of Oct. So don't I need to have my schools picked, spread out appropiately, and applied to, so no matter where my LSAT hits, I'll be covered? Or should I wait until I get the LSAT, and then choose my schools, pushing my app back to December?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:01 pm

asuusa wrote:Okay- I apologize for posting without an LSAT. I know that's against the recommended rules, and I should have followed them. But here's my question- sorry if this goes out of this forum- I want to apply as early as possible, right? So I can have the best chance to get in. But I'm studying for the October LSAT. I'll get my results at the end of Oct. So don't I need to have my schools picked, spread out appropiately, and applied to, so no matter where my LSAT hits, I'll be covered? Or should I wait until I get the LSAT, and then choose my schools, pushing my app back to December?

Apply everywhere and early, but it won't go complete until they get your LSAT. I see no reason not to at least toss an app at everywhere you'd like to go. i.e. $75-100 is worth the chance at UT/Cornell for you, whether you score a 155 or a 165.

Return to “What are my chances?”