xx Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
argusdeng

New

xx

Post by argusdeng » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Xx
Last edited by argusdeng on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Gold

Re: 176/3.92 CCN scholarship chances?

Post by thecilent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:14 pm

What's with all this g-town trolling lately.. jeeeze

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Why do you need a scholarship to attend law school? Harvard caps its loans around $35k/year if your income is low enough.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Cilent21 wrote:What's with all this g-TTTown trolling lately.. jeeeze
Fixed

argusdeng

New

xx

Post by argusdeng » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Xx
Last edited by argusdeng on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smashedpumpkins

New

Post by smashedpumpkins » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 pm

im_blue wrote:Why do you need a scholarship to attend law school? Harvard caps its loans around $35k/year if your income is low enough.

I'd be interested to see what that level is. My folks make 45k combined, and I'm taking out about 60k per year at HLS.

OP, Hamilton and full-rides at NYU, Michigan, Duke, Virginia, and Northwestern should all be in play. Chicago might offer something substantial (100k-ish) too, but as far as I can tell, they only provide full rides when someone tries to bargain.

Although 176 is on the low end for Hamilton's, several people were offered one with that LSAT (check LSN). I suspect that other parts of the application (essays, resume, recs) matter a lot more for scholarships than for general admission, so make sure all of your ducks are in a row.
Last edited by smashedpumpkins on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm

im_blue wrote:Why do you need a scholarship to attend law school? Harvard caps its loans around $35k/year if your income is low enough.
Wow really?? So if you are attending Harvard you are expected to take out at least 35k/year?? Thats still a lot of money for someone poor like me. Thats about 7k less than my yearly family income. Im really hoping not to exceed the Stafford limit for loans per year.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Scholarship money at your numbers is hit or miss. People with your numbers to occasionally get fullrides to one of CCN. If you are going to apply to Virgina, Michigan, and Penn, you should prob apply to Northwestern, Duke and Cornell. The job prospects between the two are very similar, and you have a better shot at getting a full ride.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Wow really?? So if you are attending Harvard you are expected to take out at least 35k/year?? Thats still a lot of money for someone poor like me. Thats about 7k less than my yearly family income. Im really hoping not to exceed the Stafford limit for loans per year.
thats 35k/year for its expected COL of $71,000... you definitely can live using much less of that $71,000, especially if you pick cheaper housing options.

So with wise budgeting and the full aid of HLS (if you qualify), you'd easily end up at like 20k~25k/year in loans only. Keep in mind these are also mainly subsidized loans with low, fixed interest rates that you don't need to pay back quickly.

For more information check out my guide, it has a lot more details... http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=124530

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:57 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
It's a lot of money for everyone. Most people's families aren't paying for law school. You should be lucky Harvard even cares at all, most law schools don't give a rats ass if your family is poor or not.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:02 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Even if you got a full ride at a CCN or T10, you'd still have to take out 15-20k/year for COL. It'd be incredibly stupid to turn down HLS to save about 50k total.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 pm

argusdeng wrote:176/3.92 at an Ivy and I really need a scholarship to attend law school.

I have done RA work and independent poli sci research projects, some internships abroad plus other leadership stuff on campus. I have LORs from two professors who advised my research projects.

I am still researching and I am thinking of applying to all T10 schools+Georgetown, but was wondering what my chances at getting scholarship (30%+) from CCN, esp. Columbia, given LSAT (I heard it has to be 178+ to get Hamilton?).

Also, is it worth it to apply to Academic Scholars Program at NYU? It requires an extra essay and if chances are significantly slim I would rather focus more on other components of my apps.

Any other schools I should consider applying to?

Many thanks!
chicago gives the most schollies to those accepted with your stats (both of which are above their medians). 2/3 accepted applicants reported receiving a scholly compared to nyu's 1/3 and columbia 1/2.

by far the most prevalent scholly package given by chicago seems to be 60k total. the most prevalant scholly package given by columbia seems to be 153k, followed closely by 75k. for nyu the most prevalent range looks like a 75k-90k package.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:19 pm

najumobi wrote:
argusdeng wrote:176/3.92 at an Ivy and I really need a scholarship to attend law school.

I have done RA work and independent poli sci research projects, some internships abroad plus other leadership stuff on campus. I have LORs from two professors who advised my research projects.

I am still researching and I am thinking of applying to all T10 schools+Georgetown, but was wondering what my chances at getting scholarship (30%+) from CCN, esp. Columbia, given LSAT (I heard it has to be 178+ to get Hamilton?).

Also, is it worth it to apply to Academic Scholars Program at NYU? It requires an extra essay and if chances are significantly slim I would rather focus more on other components of my apps.

Any other schools I should consider applying to?

Many thanks!
chicago gives the most schollies to those accepted with your stats (both of which are above their medians). 2/3 accepted applicants reported receiving a scholly compared to nyu's 1/3 and columbia 1/2.

by far the most prevalent scholly package given by chicago seems to be 60k total. the most prevalant scholly package given by columbia seems to be 153k, followed closely by 75k. for nyu the most prevalent range looks like a 75k-90k package.
Apparently if you hold Chicago hostage by telling them you're going to HYS instead they'll bump up their scholarship in some cases... I think i've heard several TLS people say this has happend to them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”