3.0/172 - Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Gleason

New

Re: 3.0/172 -

Post by Gleason » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 pm

FlanAl wrote:Just wondering why California? Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and a whole bunch of other states could really benefit from someone doing public interest and immigration and having those as back ups could really open up your options. If you speak spanish and are dead set on doing public interest immigration stuff and you only want to be in California then lower ranked California schools shouldn't be out of the question. I mean if you are planning on getting loans etc. and then living in Cali on a public defender salary you are going to be hurting.

SOrry if that seemed impolite I'm just wondering about the strong Cali connection.

PS is SC really not an option with his stats?
First things first: Love the avatar.

Why California? I just love it there. It's everything: the weather, the culture, the natural beauty, the setup (cities to the west, nature to the east), the general attitudes of the people.

I'm definitely considering lower ranked Cali schools, especially Davis. I really want to live in SD, so USD is even in my sights. It's just tough because I know some offices recruit from national schools and tend to hire from there rather than local schools. I'm sure those people tend to have ties, though

UCLA and USC seem to be about equal in terms of my chances--not out of the question, but not very good. So the question is if it's worth the risk when I'd be giving up my chances at T14 for a lower ranked Cali school.

So it would be good to get an idea of: Would UC Davis or [M or V] be better for Cali with no ties assuming I could spend 1L summer there (if I could get an internship there)?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:11 pm

FlanAl wrote:Sorry just thought I'd throw it out there if he's only ever spent two months in California and he's interested in a career that is going to pay loans/just living extremely difficult I don't know if t-14/UCLA or bust is the only message he should be getting.

my bad
Your post just seemed very ignorant. Every state can benefit from people who are willing to PI work, to point that out just seems like stating the obvious (also ignoring the fact that competition for jobs ITE is fierce). You also weren't considering LRAP which helps most PI workers foot the loan bill.

It also seems very presumptuous to question somebody's desired living location and say something that implies they are being "greedy" in choosing CA over other states.

Gleason

New

Post by Gleason » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Also: I dont know what just happened with BKs ".." and your apology..

Edit: nevermind
Last edited by Gleason on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Gleason wrote:Also: I dont know what just happened with BKs ".." and your apology..
They're on page 2?

Gleason

New

Post by Gleason » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:15 pm

bk187 wrote:
Gleason wrote:Also: I dont know what just happened with BKs ".." and your apology..
They're on page 2?
Got it. It came up confusingly in the "one or more new message has since been posted while you were writing" notices..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gleason

New

Post by Gleason » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:35 pm

So anyways, all of this extremely helpful discussion has led to a pretty precise question that should make the decision for me whether to ED to UVA:

Would UC Davis or [M or V] be better for Cali with no ties assuming I am able to spend 1L summer in Cali if I can secure an internship there?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:49 pm

sorry bk it just seemed like california and immigration law kind of seemed to go together thought that might have been what he was shooting for. and to op if what you really want is sd and you don't want big law then USD isn't a bad deal. I know I'm going to get all this ITE stuff for that comment but I am actually from san diego and USD does well here. Sure if you look at who works at Latham in sd or whatever USD won't show very well but outside that you'd be hard pressed to find an sd lawyer who didn't go either there or thomas jefferson. sd is a really weird market and i'm trying to get a better feel for it this year since I moved back home for a while.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:54 pm

also was definitely not trying to imply that you were greedy. don't think anyone who take a pd salary in california comes anywhere close to being greedy

Gleason

New

Post by Gleason » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey, no problem Al. Thanks for the info. I have a close friend in SD and he says the same thing about USD. It's a little tougher because, while small law firms and local PD offices will like USD, some of the higher up Public Interest and PD offices seem to favor prestige. You see a lot of Boalt at those places, and then a more-or-less even mixture of local SD schools and T14s. Accounting for self-selection, I'd think T14 is a better bet for that stuff than local SD. I could be wrong. Accounting further for "local ties" it might even out again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”