Not your typical law student Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Boilers9

New

Not your typical law student

Post by Boilers9 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey All,

I am currently in the process of applying to Law school but am very confused as to where to apply. Like everyone else I want to get into the best possible school I can get into. Here are the numbers:

GPA: 2.2 (Was flying home about every other week to tend to sick mother, still no excuse)
LSAT: 175

Currently working at a top 10 management consulting firm (obviously made it here through connections) for past 3 years. But since being here I was forced to develop a strong work ethic which I never possessed before.

If I stayed here I could probably get into a top tier MBA school if that was my desired route but I really want to go into Law school. Just wanted some feedback on what you think my chances are at Tier 1 schools and even a splitter school such as Northwestern.

Woozy

Bronze

Re: Not your typical law student

Post by Woozy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Wow, what a split. You are almost Northwestern's dream candidate, but I'm not sure if your GPA is too low. You are in uncharted territory. I say take a swing at Northwestern ED and see what happens. They are one of the only top schools to show they are willing to let in sub-3.0s somewhat consistently.

With your opportunity costs, going to lower T1 schools at near full price (which you will be paying) is not advisable.

Boilers9

New

Post by Boilers9 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Are there any other Tier 1 schools that place an emphasis on work experience as Northwestern does?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Woozy wrote:Wow, what a split. You are almost Northwestern's dream candidate, but I'm not sure if your GPA is too low. You are in uncharted territory. I say take a swing at Northwestern ED and see what happens. They are one of the only top schools to show they are willing to let in sub-3.0s somewhat consistently.

With your opportunity costs, going to lower T1 schools at near full price (which you will be paying) is not advisable.
Actually someone claimed on TLS and LSN to get into Northwestern with a 2.1/171 this year, but deleted it from LSN.

I also wouldn't say dream candidate, since it more appears they tolerate sub 3.0 more than actually like them.

Definitely applied ED at Northwestern OP.

Eric475

New

Post by Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:13 pm

OP, why do you really want to go to law school? Sounds like you're pretty well set-up as is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:18 pm

There is no other school that looks at work experience the way NU does - it is almost a prerequisite - something like 98% of their class has at least one year of WE after undergrad. However, it will definitely be viewed positively by all schools you apply to. You need to make sure you send an addendum that explains why your performance in undergrad will not be repeated.

Desert Fox wrote:Actually someone claimed on TLS and LSN to get into Northwestern with a 2.1/171 this year, but deleted it from LSN.

I also wouldn't say dream candidate, since it more appears they tolerate sub 3.0 more than actually like them.

Well, yeah, I know they don't actively want applicants to have bad GPAs. I meant he was their dream in all other respects

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Woozy wrote:There is no other school that looks at work experience the way NU does - it is almost a prerequisite - something like 98% of their class has at least one year of WE after undergrad. However, it will definitely be viewed positively by all schools you apply to. You need to make sure you send an addendum that explains why your performance in undergrad will not be repeated.

Desert Fox wrote:Actually someone claimed on TLS and LSN to get into Northwestern with a 2.1/171 this year, but deleted it from LSN.

Well, yeah, I know they don't actively want applicants to have bad GPAs. I meant he was their dream in all other respects
I think his chances at Northwestern ED are better than almost every other T1. But 2.2 is pretty fucking bad.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think his chances at Northwestern ED are better than almost every other T1. But 2.2 is pretty fucking bad.
I agree on both counts.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote: I think his chances at Northwestern ED are better than almost every other T1. But 2.2 is pretty fucking bad.
??

NU chances may be better than any other T14 chances, but than every other T1 chances (1-50)? I'm fairly sure with a 175 you could get some large scholarships in T1 in spite of the 2.2, nevermind plenty of acceptances. You'd probably have to research which schools are particularly LSAT friendly though to maximize your options.

That said, I think NU is your best bet if you can get in given that they favor splitters and work experience more than other schools. Also, unless you have connections in law already established that could help land you a job I question whether going to law school in your case is really a good decision. As you probably know this is a very tough time to be going into law and you sound like you are fairly well set already in terms of a career.

EDIT: my assessment might be too generous, but with your LSAT I imagine you will have some decent options to choose from despite the quite low GPA.
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm

There was a fellow on LSN with like a 179 and a similar GPA who got dinged fucking everywhere. Who knows if he had your WE, but I'd probably agree that you should ED at NW and try to charm their pants off in your interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”