3.7/171 Chances at Penn Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MJS83

New

3.7/171 Chances at Penn

Post by MJS83 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:59 am

I'm primarily interested in Penn because of it's interdisciplinary emphasis. Big law is my ultimate career goal but I am also considering public interest- particularly involving Native Americans. Thoughts?

Applying:
-Harvard * dream school
-Penn* first choice
-BU
-BC
-W&M
-any suggestions??

Sex: Male, straight, married
UG: Public
Major: History
LSAT: 171
GPA/LSDAS GPA: 4.0 / 3.7
Work Experience: 3 years as a professional ballet dancer
PS: Discussing the events in my life which have affected my decision to leave a successful artistic career to pursue a law degree.
LOR: 3 academic

additional info:
Non-traditional background, grade trend from 3.4 to 4.0, 2 transfers, Honors Thesis Candidate, Multiple scholarship recipient, involved ECs

edit: see following posts
Last edited by MJS83 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Silver

Re: 3.7/171 Chances at Penn

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 am

From what I am getting from this post you are hoping to get documentation for your Native American status - I would strongly advise you writing a DS. Claiming Native American is very tricky and I would do as much as I could to connect myself to that heritage outside of just checking a box.

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:06 am

You have the numbers for Penn. Craft a good application package, write a good "why Penn" essay, and you should be pretty set.

FWIW, I applied with 170/3.64, 1 year WE, non-URM, and was accepted with $14k/yr. Wrote a near-4 page ps (just shrunk the font/margins to get it within Penn's limits), and a DS.

MJS83

New

Post by MJS83 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:16 am

merichard87 wrote:From what I am getting from this post you are hoping to get documentation for your Native American status - I would strongly advise you writing a DS. Claiming Native American is very tricky and I would do as much as I could to connect myself to that heritage outside of just checking a box.

I'm torn between checking the box for a number of reasons but specifically:

Studying history has lead to a rediscovery of my heritage which, up until two years ago, has remained on the shelf. While my status as a Native American may "boost" my application's potential, my reasons for gaining tribal recognition are important to me personally for identity's sake and not for personal gain. To me it's a question of ethics and I am just as happy earning my tribal affiliation after the application cycle. With that said, I will be editing my original post to remove that information from affecting an appraisal of my application's potential.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:44 pm

A diversity essay is not reserved for URM students though. I would advise anyone to write a DS. Not only does it show adcomms that you are willing to complete *optional* essays but it serves to seperate you from other equally qualified applicants. Its just that in your case there is a specific heritage you could talk about. Mark Caucasion and NA. If thats what you are, thats what you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”