What should I do to increase my chance of admission?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
forps

What should I do to increase my chance of admission?

Postby forps » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:02 am

Deleted                                                                              

Last edited by forps on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burtonrideclub

Re: What should I do to increase my chance of admission?

Postby burtonrideclub » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am

You need to do very well on the LSAT, or find a native american ancestor.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 am

If you were going right into law school you most like would have to get a 170+ (easier said than done) on your LSAT to have a chance at any of those schools. However, because you are putting 2+ years between you and your grades, and many law schools give you a small bump for being in the military (employers like it) things look a bit brighter for you. Best of luck to you in the army btw. See if you can do well there; if you can gain a few ranks it'll show that you were running towards something, and not away from something. If you can't bring your practice tests up to a 168+ before test day, I would postpone taking the LSAT and bring the practice materials with you in the army (if they let you do that?). I have a buddy in Afgahnistan and he tells me that they actually get a decent amount of downtime. If you can deal with people making fun of you for practicing LSAT's in a warzone, you might be able to get quite a bit of LSAT practice in.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 am

Try to get your GPA above a 3.0 at least. There seems to be some kind of line in the sand at a lot of schools with 3.0 as the minimum they'll take without really good reason.

Get a 170+ on the LSAT. Pay to take a course if you have to. A $1000 LSAT prep course could help you go to a better school which could lead to hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra earning potential over the next couple decades.

Your two years in the Army will help a lot. Having some kind of work experience after UG really helps convince adcomms to overlook a low GPA. I was going to recommend working after graduation but it sounds like this will cover that. You can then (hopefully) try to argue that your time in the Army has helped you develop the skills you need to succeed and overcome the problems you faced during UG.

If you can get a 170+ LSAT, you can probably ED to Northwestern. With work experience and a high LSAT score they're likely to take you ED. Make sure you get your app in the first possible day they take them, the year that you end up applying.

Good luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 am

burtonrideclub wrote:You need to do very well on the LSAT, or find a native american ancestor.

This + get your GPA to 3.

forps

Postby forps » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Thank you for your advice.
Last edited by forps on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleepyheadSER

Postby sleepyheadSER » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:35 am

Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum and apologize in advance if asking something already discussed. I have searched through many topics and haven' t found situation similar to mine and if someone could help me I would appreciate it very much.

The thing is:

I study law in Serbia and am about to finish basic studies (BS) some time next year. BS lasts four years at the University of Belgrade, and next year I'll be 22. I project my GPA to be around 8.5 on the scale from 5 (didn't pass) to 10. That score is considered quite good here as we have tons of study material and big number of subjects. It is estimated that I belong to top 5% of my class. The problem is, however, that my University has no reputation whatsoever in most of countries abroad, let alone the US. In several occasions I could not even find my country listed as an option when asked about current place of studying, on some of the universities' web sites. I feel that my country and school gave me good, solid education but in terms of continuing academic career abroad the impression is - I'm a little handicapped.

Do you have any advice how can I overcome that 'handicap' and become competitive candidate for admission to 'top law schools' in USA? Forgot to mention, I' m interested in LL M program, preferably in the area of Tax law, Banking law, Finance law, Trade law, Corporate law and similar.

If anyone is interested in any information regarding life and study in Serbia, please feel free to ask, though I am aware it is highly unlikely, unfortunately.
On the other hand, if anyone helps me with this (which I hope is more likely), thank you very much!

CA Law Dean

Postby CA Law Dean » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:41 pm

If you have any interest in living and practicing law in California, you might consider applying to one of the 15 state accredited law schools such as Monterey College of Law. They are smaller, less expensive, and have a much more open admission policy, particularly for foreign students. There are some limitations for practicing in states other than California so you need to carefully consider your long-term plans before making a final decision. However, it may be an option to seriously consider if you do not get a positive response from the large traditional US law schools.

sleepyheadSER

Postby sleepyheadSER » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Thank you for your response :)

I have visited the Monterrey College of Law website and several other universities, as you proposed. It does look nice, but, to be sincere, I was hoping for some University that is better ranked, on this list for example http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html. I am sure that these universities provide good education but am also concerned about getting in the same position as with my current law school. That is; good knowledge, but less options.

Some of my friends who are more familiar with this topics told me to forget about getting admitted to large, traditional US law schools. I still have hopes, and am eager to do whatever it takes (legal and legitimate, of course :) ) in the next 2 years to become competitive.

I see that many universities ask for job experience. I had a couple of internships here, but again find it uninteresting to American schools. Should I try to get an internship in the US and where to look? I've spent several hours in that quest inefficiently.

I think that California is beautiful, although I have never been. Two years ago I've spent some time in New York and it's amazing. Fordham, for example, is place where I would be delighted to get admitted.

It is evident that I'm not in option to be much selective, but we all have rights to dream :)

Return to “What are my chances?”