2.95/170 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bma342

New

2.95/170

Post by bma342 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:49 pm

Softs: Varsity Athlete 2 yrs
UG: Umich

GPA is low well, because the first two years of my college life was doing my sport (tons of time). First year I did pretty well, gpa bout 3.4. Soph. year the shit hit the fan. My athletic scholy wasn't much, and my grandpa paid for the rest. He struggled through cancer all fall semester and passed beginning of winter semester. Not to mention we were very very close. So the winter semester consisted of varsity sport (in-season), classes, and advising the family real estate business he left behind until everything settled a little. Needless to say my GPA was around a 2.4. My junior year i had to leave the team to take a job to support myself and was still struggling with his passing, my gpa improved but not nearly as much as I would of liked. I took spring semester and did really well (3.7).

My gpa as of right now is LSAC: 2.95 and my june lsat 170. I plan on re-taking in oct to try to get into the 173+ range (I bombed one of the june games)

I would love to stay at umich for law. but i also plan on applying to UGA, Emory, Northwestern, GA ST.

I want to be either close to michigan or in GA.

Chances/suggestions?

BenJ

Silver

Re: 2.95/170

Post by BenJ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Straight from undergrad? Little to no chance at Michigan (unless they favor their students, but I don't think they do), none at all at Northwestern since you don't have work experience.*

Are you from Georgia? Being in-state might help at UGA and Georgia State. Anyway, you need to apply to a LOT more schools, as a split like that could result in waitlists at all of the schools to which you are applying (while at the same time a higher-ranked school, maybe even UVA, might take you, but if you don't apply, you won't know).

Apply to UVA (ED), Michigan, Northwestern (ED if UVA rejects/defers/waitlists you), and then apply to as many of the 15-50 ranked schools as you can afford. Good targets for splitters are WUSTL, UIUC, IU-B, W&L, Wake Forest, GMU, UMD, plus your current choices and Michigan State. Admittedly, some of those schools will make employment in Michigan or Georgia somewhat difficult, but you're at risk (potentially) of being shut out from all the worthwhile schools in MI and GA and need to have a backup plan.

The best advice is probably to get a job after graduation, work for a couple of years, and try then. Northwestern is a very serious possibility, even with a GPA that low, but they'll only look at you if you have work experience.

*If you can spin the real estate work into "work experience", Northwestern might take a look, but they admit almost no one straight from undergrad.
Last edited by BenJ on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:54 pm

So you are entering your senior year? I'd advise taking the year and applying Fall 2011, doing your best to raise your GPA as much as you can. You'll have more options and the year of work experience will open up Northwestern as a serious option (they won't take you without a year post-undergrad of work experience).

When you apply make sure to write an addendum; it won't place you where your numbers won't get you, but it might help at a splitter-friendly school.

bma342

New

Post by bma342 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:28 pm

I'll definitely write an addendum. I've worked a couple of part time jobs in UG to support myself, granted I'm assuming NU wants full-time WE. But, I do feel I could use the real estate job as real WE. If I reach my target score of 175, and go ED, would umich be in play then?

Thanks for the replies!

and yes, I am in-state in GA

also, looking at LSN seems like i'd be OK for GA ST and UGA no?

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:20 am

UMich was not friendly to to splitters this year, fyi.

Search LSN

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 am

bma342 wrote:I'll definitely write an addendum. I've worked a couple of part time jobs in UG to support myself, granted I'm assuming NU wants full-time WE. But, I do feel I could use the real estate job as real WE. If I reach my target score of 175, and go ED, would umich be in play then?

Thanks for the replies!

and yes, I am in-state in GA

also, looking at LSN seems like i'd be OK for GA ST and UGA no?
You're fine for UGA. UMich isn't happening, be willing to go to GULC (PT) or UVA or just stay in GA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”