Do UC schools favor Cali residents? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
apropos

New

Do UC schools favor Cali residents?

Post by apropos » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I couldnt find this question in the forums. I know that UC schools have to give preferential treatment to California residents for med school and maybe undergrad. Is this the case for law schools?

apropos

New

Re: Do UC schools favor Cali residents?

Post by apropos » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Okay well the FAQs at Boalt, UCLA and Davis say:
Boalt wrote: "Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?
You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents in order to obtain the ratio we seek. "
UCLA wrote: "Q: Is preference given to California residents in the admission process?
A: Not at all. Although we receive the largest proportion of applications from California, we seek to admit and enroll a geographically diverse class each year. Admission decisions are not based on quotas, and the goal of the Admissions Committee is to admit the most compelling and talented candidates into the Law School."
Davis wrote: "Is residency a factor in the admission process?

Although UC Davis is a public institution, residency is not a factor in the J.D. Admissions evaluation process. Non-residents are not required to submit higher GPA/LSAT credentials in order to receive serious consideration.

Because UC Davis is a public institution, residency is a factor in the assessment of tuition and fees. Any indication of residency status for tuition purposes you receive during admission is provisional until a determination is made by a campus Residence Deputy.

California Residence Status, determined after your admission for purposes of tuition and fees, may result in a change in your Financial Aid package.

If you have not been living in California with intent to make it your permanent home for more than one year immediately before the residence determination date for each term in which you propose to attend the University, you must pay a nonresident tuition fee in addition to all other fees. The residence determination date is the first day of instruction for the term.
UCLA's and Davis's wording are much more convincing. But if Boalt tries to admit mostly residents, it would seem that there must be preferential treatment. They're high enough in the rankings that plenty of out-of-staters must apply and so the overall pool of applicants surely can't be so overwhelmingly made up of residents that they're actually treated equally.
I've naturally grown distrustful of law schools's accounts of their own admissions processes.

So aree there any stats on this? Or impressions from people?

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:33 pm

They all give preference to California residents. Their FAQs are worded just like you'd expect of a school that is trying to maximize apps. Michigan and Northwestern also strongly claim to be "holistic" when really those schools will admit you with any GPA and even a criminal record as long as you have a 170+ LSAT.

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 pm

This is kind of what I suspected. How significant is their preference for Cali residents? Is it a little bump like having an MA, or significant like being URM?

tootrue

New

Post by tootrue » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:37 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:31 am

Probably no bump at all for UC's. If anything I hear their UG's are preferring out-of-staters because they pay OOS tuition. Not sure if that applies to law schools.

mayjuniper

New

Post by mayjuniper » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeah, the general trend for UCs is accepting more out of state students since they pay more. I know this is definitely the case for undergrads in UCs and in general, an increasing number of public universities. I would assume that law schools will also start demonstrating this trend soon, if not already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”