Am I totally screwed? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
whattt

New

Am I totally screwed?

Post by whattt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:05 pm

> 3.0/155 URM <

I was a biochemistry/international relations major at a top 5 liberal arts college. My GPA is average for my major, but not for the school. My father is Black, and my mother is Mexican. My sophomore year my father passed away unexpected and 6 months later my mother's father died (the last remaining member of her family) so I had to take care of her (I'm an only child) and not totally crumble myself hence the horrendous GPA. But, my GPA has steadily progressed since them.

Took the LSAT twice with a high of 155 (a full FOURTEEN points lower than I had been averaging on the PTs). Since graduation I've been working abroad -- one year teaching high school in China, and another doing human rights/legal advocacy work in Laos.

I want to go into public interest law, and am open to living anywhere. What is the best school I could get into (not specifically rank-wise, but in terms of programs, opportunities, etc.)?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: Am I totally screwed?

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm sure with URM status you'll have a shot at some decent schools... I would suspect nothing higher than about 30 in rank though (if that).

I wonder if you can retake again without having it delay your application cycle? With a higher LSAT you would def have a lot more options.. With your numbers (even with URM) I think it will be a matter of deciding where you want to work and then trying to go to school there.

whattt

New

Post by whattt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 pm

My list so far is: Catholic, Syracuse, Santa Clara, Loyola (LA), Cardozo, Temple, AU, Brooklyn, Penn State, Hastings, BC, GWU

I've never particularly cared for the T14 scene (so maybe TLS isn't even, really, the right website) but I do want to go somewhere that'll help me pursue a career in public interest law....

whattt

New

Post by whattt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:25 pm

I wonder if you can retake again without having it delay your application cycle? With a higher LSAT you would def have a lot more options.. With your numbers (even with URM) I think it will be a matter of deciding where you want to work and then trying to go to school there.
I've taken the test twice and, believe it or not, got 155 both times. Typically, I score 167-169 on practice tests, but bomb on test day. I have a history of doing poorly in standardized testing, but I don't want to whine about it in my application.

I'm not in any particular rush to go to school if it would ensure better job prospects later. But I don't think that re-taking will go well, and I don't know if I really want to shell out more cash for ANOTHER lovely 155.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:30 pm

whattt wrote:
I've taken the test twice and, believe it or not, got 155 both times. Typically, I score 167-169 on practice tests, but bomb on test day. I have a history of doing poorly in standardized testing, but I don't want to whine about it in my application.

I'm not in any particular rush to go to school if it would ensure better job prospects later. But I don't think that re-taking will go well, and I don't know if I really want to shell out more cash for ANOTHER lovely 155.
shell out the cash.. With URM status another 5 or 10 points would mean 150k dollars... literally.. (scholarship offer differences b/w schools you want now at 155, and later)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 pm

whattt wrote:My list so far is: Catholic, Syracuse, Santa Clara, Loyola (LA), Cardozo, Temple, AU, Brooklyn, Penn State, Hastings, BC, GWU

I've never particularly cared for the T14 scene (so maybe TLS isn't even, really, the right website) but I do want to go somewhere that'll help me pursue a career in public interest law....

What kind of URM are you? With your stats you can get into these schools. BUT they aren't good options without major scholarship money.

Seems you need to do more research about law school. Your statement shows a lack of understanding of the current legal market and career options. Even public interest jobs are hard to get from Top 20 schools.

Are nontraditional or recently out of college?

whattt

New

Post by whattt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 pm

What kind of URM are you?
My father is black, and my mother is Mexican.
Seems you need to do more research about law school. Your statement shows a lack of understanding of the current legal market and career options. Even public interest jobs are hard to get from Top 20 schools.
I'll be the first person to admit that I know little about the market. The only people I know that are/were lawyers are business-oriented (tax, corporate, etc.) and they've been little to no help when it comes to public interest law.

Obviously, I'd like to go to the best school for me, whatever that may be. People at top schools (I live in DC, so mainly people at GULC) have warned me against going because its overly cutthroat and may not give me the resources to help me pursue what I want. (This advice, obviously, may or may not be accurate).
Are nontraditional or recently out of college?
I graduated college in 2008.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:03 am

whattt wrote:

Seems like you have major test anxiety that causes you to test poorly rather than a disposition. Retaking is best bet to getting into law school.

howardsbest

New

Post by howardsbest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 am

I am a URM and I graduated in 2008 with similar stats as yours. Retaking isn't the best idea because unless you get at least 6 points higher you will stay lumped into the 155-160 bracket.

What else do you have to offer the law schools? (Job, experience, internships, family hardship, etc). You have to show the school what you lack in academics you make up for in experience.

Also get letters of recommendations from at least one professor and one employer if you have been working for the past 2 years. My suggestion is apply early. The earlier you apply the better chance you have. Also pleas please please sign up for the CLEO program. (look it up on google) They will assist you with applying to law school.

Really work on your personal statement and show how you excelled in other areas that tested your academic aptitude and analytical skills.

If you have a top choice, visit that school and incorporate your visit it into your personal statement. Also you should find an area of study and program at each of the schools you are applying to and tell the school why you fit best in that area.

You really have to market yourself and show that you deserve to attend that school and that it will be a mutually beneficial relationship.

I am 1L at Catholic and it was a long road for me to get there, but it happen.

If you have any questions PM (personal message) me.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”