Chances of getting into UT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fomiddie22

New

Chances of getting into UT

Post by fomiddie22 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:08 am

Currently I junior by years and senior by hours finance major with a G.P.A. of 3.9877 rounded to four spots at Texas Tech University. My work experience includes multiple years at the top firm in the city as a runner/clerk/admin/and semi-management position. In addition to this my extracurriculars include treasurer of a 100+ strong social fraternity and member of two honor societies. I was wondering what would be the lowest LSAT score I could recieve and still have a high probability of getting accepted to U.T. My first diagnostic (before prep class, without any outside studying, without even knowing the structure of test or what sections are on test) was a 159. UT is not my only choice however it is the most economical decision for me because of location of parents home and condo is within walking distance of campus and would provide free living.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Chances of getting into UT

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am

I say re, re, re to the take.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:10 am

fomiddie22 wrote:I was wondering what would be the lowest LSAT score I could recieve and still have a high probability of getting accepted to U.T.
And usually the answer to this is median, or maybe a point below median, unless you are a URM.

Are you a URM?

TexasLaw

New

Post by TexasLaw » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:15 am

I'd say a 163/164. 165 would be a lock. Helps that ur in-state. Goodluck, hoping to get into UT as well this cycle.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 am

RC fail on Romo's part.

I say 165. I think you should aim much higher though b.c. with a 173+ you have an chance at HS or a full ride to Texas. With a 159 diagnostic, if you put in a lot of hard/smart LSAT prep, above a 170 should be a realistic possibility. You should aim for no less, even if you'd go to Texas no matter what.

Side Note: All of the other things you listed above are softs and don't really matter at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 am

cinefile 17 wrote:RC fail on Romo's part.
Indeed. It's early. My bad, y'all.

In that case, OP you are in good shape. Bust your butt studying RIGHT NOW. You should get at least high-160s or 170s with that diagnostic, which should get you a ton of money to go to Texas. Work hard and you'll be at Texas on a big scholly. Good luck.

fomiddie22

New

Post by fomiddie22 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 am

I did not mention this in the earlier post when I took the diagnostic it was at a Kaplan testing center and didnt report my grades to anyone but myself. This test was taken in Feb of this year. I have been studying since then 5 or so hours a week. I have completed all 3 PowerScore Bibles and the logic games workbook. I have several old test and take about 1 section per day 3-4 days per week and review powerscore bibles on other days. I am waiting to re take the test again until the school year starts back up in August. My school pays for 2 diagnostics per semester and because of financial situation I have to wait until this free opportunity presents itself. On my first test the majority of missed questions came from the logic games section with very few missed from the LR section and a few missed on RC section. Since this time I have greatly improved my ability in logic games and believe I will do better. I believe that I will at least get a 5pt jump on my lsat. In addition to maintaining my high GPA and continuing to take sections?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am

fomiddie22 wrote:I did not mention this in the earlier post when I took the diagnostic it was at a Kaplan testing center and didnt report my grades to anyone but myself. This test was taken in Feb of this year. I have been studying since then 5 or so hours a week. I have completed all 3 PowerScore Bibles and the logic games workbook. I have several old test and take about 1 section per day 3-4 days per week and review powerscore bibles on other days. I am waiting to re take the test again until the school year starts back up in August. My school pays for 2 diagnostics per semester and because of financial situation I have to wait until this free opportunity presents itself. On my first test the majority of missed questions came from the logic games section with very few missed from the LR section and a few missed on RC section. Since this time I have greatly improved my ability in logic games and believe I will do better. I believe that I will at least get a 5pt jump on my lsat. In addition to maintaining my high GPA and continuing to take sections?

How bad is your financial situation? You can buy tests online individually for like $5 (that's with shipping). Or in bundles for even cheaper than that.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Preptest ... 042&sr=1-3

fomiddie22

New

Post by fomiddie22 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

Cilent21 wrote: How bad is your financial situation? You can buy tests online individually for like $5 (that's with shipping). Or in bundles for even cheaper than that.

I do have plenty of old tests, however to take a proctored practice test as I did before is way more that I could afford right now. During summers I am on my own for living expenses (100% academic scholarship including books and housing allowance). I'm currently in a bad situation where I cannot work many hours. This makes anything besides food and rent very hard to come up with. During school year I have some loans for living expenses as well as scholarships. Til then it is very hard for me to purchase additional study materials.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am

fomiddie22 wrote:
Cilent21 wrote: How bad is your financial situation? You can buy tests online individually for like $5 (that's with shipping). Or in bundles for even cheaper than that.

I do have plenty of old tests, however to take a proctored practice test as I did before is way more that I could afford right now. During summers I am on my own for living expenses (100% academic scholarship including books and housing allowance). I'm currently in a bad situation where I cannot work many hours. This makes anything besides food and rent very hard to come up with. During school year I have some loans for living expenses as well as scholarships. Til then it is very hard for me to purchase additional study materials.
If you have plenty of old tests, then what is the problem? How hard is it to proctor an exam for yourself? Get a watch or use a clock, start the test, then stop each section after 35 minutes... PROFIT.

fomiddie22

New

Post by fomiddie22 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:58 am

Cilent21 wrote:If you have plenty of old tests, then what is the problem? How hard is it to proctor an exam for yourself? Get a watch or use a clock, start the test, then stop each section after 35 minutes... PROFIT.
It is about impossible for me to find a 3 hr block of silence comparable to testing centers. When summer is over I will be able to take advantage of many of my schools free resources. Til then I try to take sections whenever I can find a block of silence. As far as taking it and timing myself I prefer to have a proctored exam because it more mimics how I handle actual tests (stress levels, other students fidgeting in peripheral, random small noises). I feel like these give me much more experience for test day then locking myself in an acoustic room at school and takign it myself.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:29 pm

It's your life and your LSAT score so you can approach the test however you want...

but it seems to me that you're not giving the LSAT the priority it deserves. You shouldn't be aiming for a 5+ score increase, you should (and could) increase your score 10+ points. The difference between a 173 and a 165 is astronomical in terms of increasing your likelihood of attending a better school or getting money at Texas. The difference in only a couple of points on your LSAT can be a difference of tens of thousands of dollars. Any money/time/inconvenience that studying for the LSAT costs is an incredibly smart investment. Buy as many practice tests as possible, take them wherever and whenever you can, study more than five hours a week, and aim higher than a 5 point increase. Many people are under the same time/financial constraints as you are, and they still find a way to do this b.c. they know it will pay off. The LSAT is weighed more heavily than your GPA and I'm sure you worked hard for four years to get that 4.0. Work harder on your LSAT to.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by cinefile 17 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 pm

fomiddie22 wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:If you have plenty of old tests, then what is the problem? How hard is it to proctor an exam for yourself? Get a watch or use a clock, start the test, then stop each section after 35 minutes... PROFIT.
It is about impossible for me to find a 3 hr block of silence comparable to testing centers. When summer is over I will be able to take advantage of many of my schools free resources. Til then I try to take sections whenever I can find a block of silence. As far as taking it and timing myself I prefer to have a proctored exam because it more mimics how I handle actual tests (stress levels, other students fidgeting in peripheral, random small noises). I feel like these give me much more experience for test day then locking myself in an acoustic room at school and takign it myself.
This is so whiny. And it helps to not have silence on your practice exams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm

With that sky-high GPA, I think 163+ should get you in.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:With that sky-high GPA, I think 163+ should get you in.
No.

163 makes it slim to none, 164 makes it a reach, and 165 makes it a target.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:With that sky-high GPA, I think 163+ should get you in.
No.

163 makes it slim to none, 164 makes it a reach, and 165 makes it a target.
TITCR, and even this may be a bit low. I had a higher LSAT and a similar GPA and I got straight rejected.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”