the importance of ur PS Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
adammac17

Bronze

the importance of ur PS

Post by adammac17 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:29 pm

so im starting to get my things in order to start applying this september, ideally right when schools begin accepting apps and im absolutely DREADING writing my personal statement. i have NO idea what to say and im so far out of the school mode already, bad new going into senior year but.......

3.44 169 non urm, so i know where im going where i should get in and where ill probably get $$ from i just wanted opinions from people whove already applied, just how important is the PS? how much time/thought did you put into it and did you think it was worthwhile??

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:39 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/personal-statements.html

Especially:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ments.html

A whole book. Enjoy!

The PS is one of the most important parts of the more unimportant part of your application.

Depending on the school
LSAT >>>> GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Softs (PS, resume, LOR, etc)

Other important factor is the time you apply, so get off your butt and apply early (September/October).

Depending on how maxed out your LSAT prep was, retake the LSAT. 169 is the kind of score that you want to think about retaking, since certain schools have pretty big walls at 170 (UVa, for example.)

umichgrad

Bronze

Re: the importance of ur PS

Post by umichgrad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:43 pm

In my experience, if your numbers put you at borderline and your softs are good but not remarkable, an outstanding PS can tip the scales. Conversely, if you really should have been in but your PS is gibberish, you're probably out. Write something halfway decent and you'll probably be in everywhere from T30-T20 with money, and you'll get at least 1 T-14.

Return to “What are my chances?”