Chances in SLS / HLS Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
coldskull

New

Chances in SLS / HLS

Post by coldskull » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:55 pm

I am newbie on these forums. My LSAT score is 177 (taken a year ago). I have a MS in Comp Engg and BS in Electrical.
The problem is that my UG was from a foreign country so it wont be converted to GPA (i got a first class with distinction), but it will probably be reported as very good/superior. (I ranked 3 rd in my UG class but none of the transcripts mention that).

I have been working in the high tech industry for close to 8 years now (intel, motorola and qualcomm) and can get decent recs from my colleagues/manager. I also have a patent filed (if that matters).

Considering my age (~32) and a non-converted GPA, what are my chances in SLS and HLS?
Also, which one would be a better choice for IP law ?

Thanks

Gold

Re: Chances in SLS / HLS

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Derrex

New

Post by Derrex » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Do you have a GPA for the masters. They might look at that if its in the US.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 pm

I'd guess you're good at both. Spend some time on your application package to let them know you care :)

Good luck! Stanford is reputedly better than HLS at IP, but either will offer plenty of opportunities. A few knowledgeable posters here have suggested Harvard might be a better choice as there is less competition for more resources.

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Derrex wrote:Do you have a GPA for the masters. They might look at that if its in the US.
I have Grad School GPA of 3.7 (from Clemson)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:49 pm

coldskull wrote:I am newbie on these forums. My LSAT score is 177 (taken a year ago). I have a MS in Comp Engg and BS in Electrical.
The problem is that my UG was from a foreign country so it wont be converted to GPA (i got a first class with distinction), but it will probably be reported as very good/superior. (I ranked 3 rd in my UG class but none of the transcripts mention that).

I have been working in the high tech industry for close to 8 years now (intel, motorola and qualcomm) and can get decent recs from my colleagues/manager. I also have a patent filed (if that matters).

Considering my age (~32) and a non-converted GPA, what are my chances in SLS and HLS?

Thanks
I was in a similar situation this cycle (high LSAT, foreign UG) but my UG grades were clearly not as strong as yours. I've also been out of school for quite a while. My work experience is definitely not on par with yours either, but I have my URM status going for me.

I ended up WLed at SLS and HLS, but with great scholly offers at other top (including T5) schools. Ultimately I think cases like yours and mine are pretty unusual and very hard to predict how things will pan out. PM me if you want any more info. Good luck!

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:51 am

thank you all for the replies.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:00 am

If you were 3rd in your class for UG, coupled with a 177, I would guess you are pretty much a lock at HLS -- they tend to be more numbers-oriented than SLS. Why aren't you applying to Yale?

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 am

vespertiliovir wrote:If you were 3rd in your class for UG, coupled with a 177, I would guess you are pretty much a lock at HLS -- they tend to be more numbers-oriented than SLS. Why aren't you applying to Yale?
Yes, but the transcript doesnt show the rank....it too painful to track down faculty from 10 years ago and they wont remember the rank either!.

Yes, I do plan to apply to top 10, but i heard that HLS/SLS are better for IP law compared to YLS. Plus Yale is too difficult to get into :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 am

coldskull wrote:I am newbie on these forums. My LSAT score is 177 (taken a year ago). I have a MS in Comp Engg and BS in Electrical.

Thanks
Hard to predict, but I think Stanford would love you.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Can you try to get in contact with your UG? Surely they have some record of your class ranking -- any way you could get them to indicate it on your transcript?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:10 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:Can you try to get in contact with your UG? Surely they have some record of your class ranking -- any way you could get them to indicate it on your transcript?
You should at least include it on your resume.

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Emma. wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:Can you try to get in contact with your UG? Surely they have some record of your class ranking -- any way you could get them to indicate it on your transcript?
You should at least include it on your resume.
I guess I can do that. Do you know if grad schools would be willing to forward the letter of recommendations from my UG school if they still have them on file? Has anybody tried this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Do you really want to try to send the same letters? That sounds risky to me -- a professor talking about why you'd make a great computer engineering student in SchoolX's graduate program might not make a great impression on law schools. :wink:

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:Do you really want to try to send the same letters? That sounds risky to me -- a professor talking about why you'd make a great computer engineering student in SchoolX's graduate program might not make a great impression on law schools. :wink:
Good point :shock:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:22 am

off topic, but why do you want to go to law school? I have more experience in the same field than you (I happened to worked for Motorola too) and everyone is surprised at my plans. So it would be interesting to hear some other perspectives. You gotta be giving up big money for this.

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:off topic, but why do you want to go to law school? I have more experience in the same field than you (I happened to worked for Motorola too) and everyone is surprised at my plans. So it would be interesting to hear some other perspectives. You gotta be giving up big money for this.

A very valid question indeed. Many people with our background think of MBA as the next logical step. A couple years back, law school was not even on my horizon. But luckily I interacted with a patent attorney in regards to filing my patent....Anyways, the main flood gates of my 'imagination' opened when I met a friend of a friend who graduated from Boalt last year (and has a similar background and work experience). I think the reason there is a high demand for IP lawyers is probably because 99% of the engineers working in high tech never even consider a career in law. Why would they ....life in high tech is pretty laid back and the money is good.

Now for the money part. I already make a six figure salary, but that is not what worries me. In engineering (in my field) you reach the 150k-200k limit and its pretty difficult to rise beyond that (unless you become a EVP or CEO or COO). The law field at least allows me to potentially go beyond that limit in my career (based on what effort i put in).

The guy who graduated from Boalt got a starting Salary of 160K (not including bonuses). Also, I sometimes feel the QOL argument is overrated. Consider this, some tech engineer working in a small company (after graduating from a small college) would probably think that work culture in Intel/Motorola/Apple/Qualcomm would be cut-throat. But somebody working in those companies (like us) are pretty used to it and dont feel it.

Anyways...too much bantering....:)
The bottom line is that a career in law (IP law to be specific) would allow me a potentially high income (proportional to the effort i put in). While in the high tech field, it is likely I would reach the cap of 150k-200k even if i put more effort that others.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am

Oh man I feel the same way. I interviewed at Comcast 2 months ago. It was funny I knew there would be no advancement when right from the start. The salary is pretty much capped at 150k and unless you have a business background you are not going to get past the department manager position. I had met quite a few CTO's in my time and none of them are from actual science/engeering backgrounds.

Motorola was very nice to work in for me. I was in Corp. Communications and I worked from home 4 days a week lol it wasn't cut throat, but when the axe came no one bothered to say bye either...

We I hope we both get in and be classmates! I think we could probably collaborate on some things in the future. I don't plan to work for a big firm, rather I want to practice on my own, doing consulting work for high tech companies, and get in academia...

coldskull

New

Post by coldskull » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:Oh man I feel the same way. I interviewed at Comcast 2 months ago. It was funny I knew there would be no advancement when right from the start. The salary is pretty much capped at 150k and unless you have a business background you are not going to get past the department manager position. I had met quite a few CTO's in my time and none of them are from actual science/engeering backgrounds.

Motorola was very nice to work in for me. I was in Corp. Communications and I worked from home 4 days a week lol it wasn't cut throat, but when the axe came no one bothered to say bye either...

We I hope we both get in and be classmates! I think we could probably collaborate on some things in the future. I don't plan to work for a big firm, rather I want to practice on my own, doing consulting work for high tech companies, and get in academia...

Best of luck. I hope someone from this forum with an engineering background can shed some more light. I would really like to hear about an engineers experience in law school and beyond in this forum or in a blog.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”