163/3.3- Tulane? Wake Forest? UF?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Re: 163/3.3- Tulane? Wake Forest? UF?

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 am

darby girl wrote::( :( :( I really want to just put the LSAT behind me. If I can pull an admit to UF, Tulane, or even Wake I would be extreeeemely pleased. I'm kind of happy with my score... :(

You won't be extremely pleased when you graduate and can't find a job where you want because you rushed into this decision.

If you can find a job at all.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:43 am

I was -13 on logic games so hope that makes you feel better. I really tend to agree with the consensus here. Retake. I was a fool not to.

fenway

Postby fenway » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:43 am

/
Last edited by fenway on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 am

UGA doesn't remove the possibility of not finding a job, for what it's worth.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:45 am

pocket herc wrote:UGA doesn't remove the possibility of not finding a job, for what it's worth.

With her gpa the best she can hope to do is UVA, which really doesn't remove that possibility either... :?

Stupid ITE.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 am

pocket herc wrote:UGA doesn't remove the possibility of not finding a job, for what it's worth.

By no means.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 am

fenway wrote:i went to Tulane UG for a couple years. worked as a bartender (8PM-6AM shifts), did the whole nightlife scene. the campus itself is very pretty and much of it is new construction. the Lavin Campus Center and the B school are both nice facilities, though I have never actually been inside the law lib so I can't speak to its quality. One of my good friends did Maritime Law there; he's had moderate success since graduating. Another friend got a fairly large scholly, which he was in danger of losing after first semester. In general I would say that both friends have articulated satisfaction with their experiences at Tulane Law. NO itself is a quirky, vibrant, and perpetually inebriated City that offers a lot of options for recreation. I'm failing to form any coherence with this, but feel free to ask any questions--I'll do my best to respond

I'm actually not a big night-life person. I very much have no interest in clubs at all, but do enjoy happy hour at local bars and I love a large variety of beers :) Are the campus and students consumed by this nightlife?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:48 am

mistergoft wrote:

With her gpa the best she can hope to do is UVA, which really doesn't remove that possibility either... :?

Stupid ITE.

What is ITE? I doubt it matters, but I have a handful of family members all working lawyers in Atlanta. I also have a pretty secure spot at the firm I work for now in Brandon, if I ever decided I actually wanted to live here. Fallbacks, of course, but I don't fear finding A job, I do fear finding the right job for me, but I'm optimistic! I just want a solid law education in a place I will enjoy living.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:52 am

darby girl wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Stupid ITE.

What is ITE? I doubt it matters, but I have a handful of family members all working lawyers in Atlanta. I also have a pretty secure spot at the firm I work for now in Brandon, if I ever decided I actually wanted to live here. Fallbacks, of course, but I don't fear finding A job, I do fear finding the right job for me, but I'm optimistic! I just want a solid law education in a place I will enjoy living.

ITE = In this economy, i.e., the horrible job market.

Going to law school when you have connections often makes sense. If you have a fall back plan, it may be worth the investment. Especially, as I said, if you have personal connections to a region (which you obviously do).

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:52 am

ITE= in this economy

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 am

At least you like beer.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:03 am

The night life is definitely there if you want it, but not necessary that you participate, and you will hardly be shunned for finding other entertainments.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:04 am

kalvano wrote:At least you like beer.

I might be a 21 year old brat who craves instant gratification and is annoyingly happy with a 163, lacking knowledge of her own abilities and chances at various schools, but at least I like beer... :)

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:46 am

darby girl wrote::( :( :( I really want to just put the LSAT behind me. If I can pull an admit to UF, Tulane, or even Wake I would be extreeeemely pleased. I'm kind of happy with my score... :(

both tulane and florida are strong targets and wake is a realistic reach. you should throw in some safeties like houston or fsu....

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 am

just by the numbers, I don't know that Wake is any more of a reach than Tulane or UF.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:35 am

darby girl wrote:
UFstudent wrote:
rad law wrote:
mistergoft wrote:instate at UF>>>>>Tulane.

Unless you want to work in Lousiana. Even then, really.

Yeah I agree just work in FL. It's awesome here.

Prediction:
Tulane's apps will skyrocket this cycle due to the Real World being there.
(sounds silly, but it happened in 2000)
Maybe harder to get in, so retaking not too bad of an idea if you want chance of scholarship.
I say go ahead and apply if you love the city. Tulane loves to hear that you love New Orleans.
If no scholarship at Tulane then definitely to UF if you wanna be in Florida.

I know Mckenzie on the RW. I don't know why that would have any influence on apps though. Lame!

Answer: Because people will see that New Orleans is still a very livable - and even exciting - city in which to live and study law. I am not optomistyic that OP can get into Tulane with her numbers. Tulane fell in the rankings and will be under pressure not only to recover to being top-40 or so, but to improve to where it probably should be, which is top-30. The new dean is from UIUC and will definitely infuse some type of strategy for vastly improving Tulane's ranking, as was done at Illinois.

I have been saying this for awhile, but I don't expect Tulane to remain in the rankings doldrums past this year. Tulane has remained ethical and has not gamed the rankings, even though it could have wound up top-30 over the past 10 or so years. I admire that about Tulane; it is one of the few schools that has actually taken a holistic approach to admissions.

But this coming year I would not bet on it. The school has always been better than its ranking and will make a move. For at least one year, Tulane is going to have to game the rankings, which it has resisted doing for several years now. The 2010-11 cycle is the perfect time to make the jump into top-30 territory or so. People who might have gotten in last year with money will be hard-pressed to gain admission at all this year.

By the way...Mckenzie is fine!!!

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:19 am

please stop pdaddy. I'm nearly convinced you are a clever Tulane troll, dispensing outlandish statements as to the unappreciated value of my school in order to provoke the opprobrium of the tls community. Just please stop for the love of god. thanks.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:09 am

pocket herc wrote:please stop pdaddy. I'm nearly convinced you are a clever Tulane troll soul, dispensing outlandish truthful statements as to the unappreciated value of my school in order to provoke evoke the sanity of the tls community. Please, for the love of god...I can't get enough! Continue on. Thanks.

The lunacy that pervades legal edfuckation and, apparently, the profession makes me do these things. :roll: If that evokes scorn, contempt or resentment, well, you know by now that it won't affect me. And if you really do go to Tulane, you do not think my statements are "outlandish".

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:08 am

PDaddy wrote:
Answer: Because people will see that New Orleans is still a very livable - and even exciting - city in which to live and study law. I am not optomistyic that OP can get into Tulane with her numbers. Tulane fell in the rankings and will be under pressure not only to recover to being top-40 or so, but to improve to where it probably should be, which is top-30. The new dean is from UIUC and will definitely infuse some type of strategy for vastly improving Tulane's ranking, as was done at Illinois.

I have been saying this for awhile, but I don't expect Tulane to remain in the rankings doldrums past this year. Tulane has remained ethical and has not gamed the rankings, even though it could have wound up top-30 over the past 10 or so years. I admire that about Tulane; it is one of the few schools that has actually taken a holistic approach to admissions.

But this coming year I would not bet on it. The school has always been better than its ranking and will make a move. For at least one year, Tulane is going to have to game the rankings, which it has resisted doing for several years now. The 2010-11 cycle is the perfect time to make the jump into top-30 territory or so. People who might have gotten in last year with money will be hard-pressed to gain admission at all this year.

By the way...Mckenzie is fine!!!

I was looking at LSN late last night and it seems Tulane not only accepted almost all 163, but 162's and 161, 3.4+ as well. HOpefully even if they do raise their standards even 2 pts to a 163 wall I'll have a shot... without money at least?

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:14 am

Pdaddy, I go to Tulane, and once again, I love it. But your statements are absurd.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:02 am

Darby, do you want to live in Louisiana?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:38 am

kalvano wrote:Darby, do you want to live in Louisiana?

More than I want to live in FL. Again, I haven't visited personally, but I plan to. I am not well travelled, and am making my rounds (starting with KY, TN, and NC next week) so I will know more. My judgements are based primarily on what I believe the school to offer and how I feel I would fit with the curriculum, extras (such as law journals, etc) and the area from what little I do know...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:49 am

darby girl wrote:My judgements are based primarily on what I believe the school to offer and how I feel I would fit with the curriculum, extras (such as law journals, etc) and the area from what little I do know...

Your judgment should really be based on where you want to practice after you graduate because your scores aren't gonna get you anywhere with regional appeal, even just in the South. Curriculum and extras shouldn't really be that much of concern.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:51 am

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:My judgements are based primarily on what I believe the school to offer and how I feel I would fit with the curriculum, extras (such as law journals, etc) and the area from what little I do know...

Your judgment should really be based on where you want to practice after you graduate because your scores aren't gonna get you anywhere with regional appeal, even just in the South. Curriculum and extras shouldn't really be that much of concern.

I don't really care where I end up, except I want to stay in the south east. Aside from that, I'm pretty open. I prefer not FL. More Alabama, Miss, GA, Lousiana, TN, NC, SC...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 am

darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:

I don't really care where I end up, except I want to stay in the south east. Aside from that, I'm pretty open. I prefer not FL. More Alabama, Miss, GA, Lousiana, TN, NC, SC...

Major caveat emptor:

You don't know much about these states and if you end up hating it, you're gonna have to live with your choice for quite a while if not your whole life.

Return to “What are my chances?”