Application Stuff

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sherpaorlawschool

Application Stuff

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Last edited by sherpaorlawschool on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

KMaine

Re: Penn vs. Michigan vs. UVA vs. Duke ED

Postby KMaine » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:41 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:Hey all,

I posted a topic asking about my chances at various schools from Michigan down to WUSTL RD. Lately, I've been thinking more and more about doing ED at one of the schools at the top of my list. So, I wanted to try to get some opinions on the ones I'm having a difficult time finding information on for ED.

I have a 171 LSAT and a 3.39 overall GPA. I had a rough first year with health issues and will be writing an addendum. I transferred to a similar ranked school in the top 50 after my freshmen year and have a 3.78 at my new school. I'm in undergrad and do not have full time WE for Northwestern.

I'm going to be visiting Duke, UVA, and Penn later this summer and possibly Michigan if a visit is warranted. What are my chances ED at Duke? I'm having a difficult time finding info on it. I know they are a GPA friendly school but I like them a lot and want to know if I even have a chance. I'm under the impression that my chances are good ED at UVA if I ED in early September when they open the application. I'm also not too sure about Penn or Michigan. What are the opinions on this? I like UVA a lot. I've spent some time in Virginia and think I would be happy there but I like the idea of Duke quite a bit. I think my visits will help me decide which one but I want to know if any others besides UVA are even live options. Thanks!

I may be wrong about this one, but I do not believe that Duke has ED. Again, I could be wrong so check it out. Without that, Duke may be an uphill battle, because, as you note, they tend to like th high GPA's. UVA might work.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:48 pm

UVA ED and Michigan regular decision would both be good shots.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:51 pm

KMaine wrote:I may be wrong about this one, but I do not believe that Duke has ED. Again, I could be wrong so check it out. Without that, Duke may be an uphill battle, because, as you note, they tend to like th high GPA's. UVA might work.

Duke recently instituted an ED program (http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/apply/early)

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Moxie wrote:
KMaine wrote:I may be wrong about this one, but I do not believe that Duke has ED. Again, I could be wrong so check it out. Without that, Duke may be an uphill battle, because, as you note, they tend to like th high GPA's. UVA might work.

Duke recently instituted an ED program (http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/apply/early)

Well done Moxie! I am going into 2L, so have old data.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:15 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:Hey all,

I posted a topic asking about my chances at various schools from Michigan down to WUSTL RD. Lately, I've been thinking more and more about doing ED at one of the schools at the top of my list. So, I wanted to try to get some opinions on the ones I'm having a difficult time finding information on for ED.

I have a 171 LSAT and a 3.39 overall GPA. I had a rough first year with health issues and will be writing an addendum. I transferred to a similar ranked school in the top 50 after my freshmen year and have a 3.78 at my new school. I'm in undergrad and do not have full time WE for Northwestern.

I'm going to be visiting Duke, UVA, and Penn later this summer and possibly Michigan if a visit is warranted. What are my chances ED at Duke? I'm having a difficult time finding info on it. I know they are a GPA friendly school but I like them a lot and want to know if I even have a chance. I'm under the impression that my chances are good ED at UVA if I ED in early September when they open the application. I'm also not too sure about Penn or Michigan. What are the opinions on this? I like UVA a lot. I've spent some time in Virginia and think I would be happy there but I like the idea of Duke quite a bit. I think my visits will help me decide which one but I want to know if any others besides UVA are even live options. Thanks!

of the schools you listed michigan is the most receptive to those with lsats at or above your median and gpas below their median. your ED application would be more likely to put you over the top there than at the others.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Duke's ED program seems somewhat strange. I haven't seen an anecdote of anyone who has applied ED to Duke, but on their website I believe they say that the criteria to admit someone ED is more stringent than accepting someone RD. I wouldn't waste an ED there since they are unfriendly to splitters in general.

If you are cool with the idea of paying sticker to a T10 and want to maximize your chances of an acceptance, your best bet is to apply ED to UVA in September. Last cycle your numbers would have likely gotten you in. The one caveat is that they are overenrolled for c/o 2013, so c/o 2014 might be a little tougher. Either way, that's still probably your best bet. Also, they turn around your app within 15 days, so if you are rejected/wl'ed you can turn around and throw an ED app to Michigan or Penn.

drake

Postby drake » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Would you guys say Michigan is more splitter friendly than Penn? And I asked this in the Michigan thread but didn't get an answer: Is it harder to get into Michigan ED since you are considered for the Summer class which is smaller than the Fall?

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 pm

which school is more receptive to ED Penn or Michigan?

sherpaorlawschool

Application Stuff

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Last edited by sherpaorlawschool on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:04 pm

drake wrote:Would you guys say Michigan is more splitter friendly than Penn? And I asked this in the Michigan thread but didn't get an answer: Is it harder to get into Michigan ED since you are considered for the Summer class which is smaller than the Fall?

those applying as splitters to penn with 170+ and 3.2-3.4 are treated the same as splitters applying to michigan with 169+ and 3.0-3.4. it's just plain easier to get into michigan.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Looking at lawschoolnumbers, it does seem that UVA is slightly friendlier to those numbers, but it is hard to know because the sample might be a bit off. Michigan looks better too. Though this is not be much.

Return to “What are my chances?”