3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: 3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Postby thechee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

With that GPA, I bet you have a great shot at Penn/UVA ED.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: 3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Postby flcath » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:58 am

andythefir wrote:It feels like the end of It's a Wonderful Life with all this good news coming in. Congratulations Colemf, would you mind sharing your strategy? If I wait for ND's early decision offer, then apply to the higher-ranked schools would it be too late to get in there?

You don't have to (and shouldn't) wait for the ND decision to come in to apply to other schools. Just apply everywhere you're going to apply in early September (call the schools and ask for fee waivers; they will usually do so for NA/AI applicants with good stats, though they often won't do so unprompted until later in the cycle), including an ED app to ND. When ND accepts you--which they will do before December 15 (scholarship offer comes with the acceptance letter)--you will have until February to evaluate that offer relative to other available offers.

If you applied to all your other schools early, then you've probably heard back from most/all of them by that deadline, and those that you haven't heard back from (e.g., schools that WL you) are most likely going to offer sticker price or close to it, if you even get in. If by February you've got even 1 offer that's better than the ND offer, you let the ND offer lapse and continue to ride out WLs like normal; if you haven't gotten a better offer, then you can still let the ND offer lapse if you really feel that a better offer is forthcoming. Obviously it's a trade-off, but trust me when I say that the $$$ is better for those that ED. It isn't something you should do unless you have somewhat of a special interest in ND, but if you do, then it tends to work well.

Edit: As far as what you should try for, T13s do offer better placement, particularly if you can get into the MVBP range. Your specific financial situation dictates whether and to what extent the trade-off (debt vs. job opportunities) will be wothwhile. For reference, ND sent just under 40% of its class to biglaw/fedclerk in 2009; a solid T13 like Michigan/UVA sends slightly over 60%. Those figures probably dropped in 2010, though we do not yet know for certain.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: 3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Postby mbw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 am

flcath wrote:
andythefir wrote:It feels like the end of It's a Wonderful Life with all this good news coming in. Congratulations Colemf, would you mind sharing your strategy? If I wait for ND's early decision offer, then apply to the higher-ranked schools would it be too late to get in there?

You don't have to (and shouldn't) wait for the ND decision to come in to apply to other schools. Just apply everywhere you're going to apply in early September (call the schools and ask for fee waivers; they will usually do so for NA/AI applicants with good stats, though they often won't do so unprompted until later in the cycle), including an ED app to ND. When ND accepts you--which they will do before December 15 (scholarship offer comes with the acceptance letter)--you will have until February to evaluate that offer relative to other available offers.

If you applied to all your other schools early, then you've probably heard back from most/all of them by that deadline, and those that you haven't heard back from (e.g., schools that WL you) are most likely going to offer sticker price or close to it, if you even get in. If by February you've got even 1 offer that's better than the ND offer, you let the ND offer lapse and continue to ride out WLs like normal; if you haven't gotten a better offer, then you can still let the ND offer lapse if you really feel that a better offer is forthcoming. Obviously it's a trade-off, but trust me when I say that the $$$ is better for those that ED. It isn't something you should do unless you have somewhat of a special interest in ND, but if you do, then it tends to work well.


The bolded may be the case for non-URMs, but it is definitely not the case for URMs. Many schools find that they are not on track for URM recruitment come Spring, and thus will add significant incentives to their late-season acceptances. I was deferred by Cornell for early acceptance, only to be admitted in March -- with $$$ -- whereas I received no funding from my other earlier T14 acceptances.

The opportunities for URMs coming out of top-ranked schools often defy general trends -- for instance, the majority of 1Ls I know with paying legal positions this summer are URMs (as are the 1Ls I know who got plum PI/gov internships.) Unless you choose to go to a lower ranked school with a well-regarded NDN program (UNM, ASU, etc.,) you should go to highest ranked (or best Ivy League) school you can, as the lay perceptions by members of our own communities will probably figure into the success of your career more than it would if you were not NDN. Fewer than 40 NDNs graduate from the entire T14 every year, and a fair number of those are probably box-checkers with no cultural affiliation and no interest in giving back to the community; hence, the few that make it through are a treasured commodity, whether in private firms, NDN non-profits or the federal gov (and remember that NDNs still get preference in DoI positions.) While ND is an excellent school, OP, don't sell yourself short, and definitely give yourself plenty of time to make the right decision.

andythefir
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: 3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Postby andythefir » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:54 pm

I decided to apply ED to ND because I knew if I didn't get in I would always regret it. Waiting on them to get back I just got a letter from Stanford. Are they playing with me? Are they trying to increase their native population? I was under the impression I had absolutely no shot at Stanford but LSP has me at consider. Is this legit?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Postby 5ky » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 am

andythefir wrote:I decided to apply ED to ND because I knew if I didn't get in I would always regret it. Waiting on them to get back I just got a letter from Stanford. Are they playing with me? Are they trying to increase their native population? I was under the impression I had absolutely no shot at Stanford but LSP has me at consider. Is this legit?


I don't mean to be blunt, be I, and numerous others, pleaded with you not to apply ED to Notre Dame because you had an excellent shot at T14, HYS included (though a long shot). It looks like you hit one of your long shots. It is not a joke. Now it is up to you to hope you don't get into Notre Dame for whatever reason.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 3.94/162, Native American Notre Dame Law hopeful

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:41 am

andythefir wrote:I decided to apply ED to ND because I knew if I didn't get in I would always regret it. Waiting on them to get back I just got a letter from Stanford. Are they playing with me? Are they trying to increase their native population? I was under the impression I had absolutely no shot at Stanford but LSP has me at consider. Is this legit?

I hope you enjoy ND. I really think (I want to say "know") that you will gain acceptances at schools in the T14.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests