I go to Idaho State

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Idaho_guy
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 am

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Idaho_guy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:23 am

kalvano wrote:Doesn't Idaho have a lot of potatoes? You'd could start a distillery and save money for law school.

You could call it T14 Vodka.


I'm a non-drinker because I've seen firsthand how alcohol can disrupt a person's life. So I think opening a distillery might qualify me as a huge hypocrite. But I like the creative thinking.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Anaconda » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:24 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Idaho_guy wrote:To the OP: what generation American are you?


At least fourth generation. My lineage is Mexican-American, and I know my grandparents were natural born citizens. As far as great-grandparents, I'm not sure, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Definitely put Mexican American on your apps... Then profit.[/quote]

I'm a first generation American (white, non-hispanic) from a single parent home, and I'm not going to get "shit out of it" because I'm not a particular race or ethnicity. My great-grandfather was freaking Mongolian, and I don't go around telling people I'm 1/8 Asian.

/end rant.

I guess if it helps then put it in, but if you don't identify as a Mexican-American it is a bit dishonest if it is only 1/4 of your lineage generations removed (similar to how I identify with my Mongolian heritage).

Really though, get that GPA up, it's secondary only to your LSAT score, and there's a big difference between a 3.5 and 3.7.
Last edited by Anaconda on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idaho_guy
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 am

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Idaho_guy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:36 am

Anaconda wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Idaho_guy wrote:To the OP: what generation American are you?


At least fourth generation. My lineage is Mexican-American, and I know my grandparents were natural born citizens. As far as great-grandparents, I'm not sure, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Definitely put Mexican American on your apps... Then profit.


Pretty freaking lame. I'm a first generation American from a single parent home, and I'm not going to get shit out of it because I'm not a certain race or ethnicity. My great-grandfather was freaking Mongolian, and I don't go around telling people I'm 1/8 Asian.

/end URM rant.[/quote]

I am somewhat conflicted on this point. I can see how race alone is not always as much of a factor as the URM bump seems to make it out to be. On the other hand, there are situations where race has played a part in hardship for individuals. In my own case, I'm really not sure how much race has affected my family's low income status.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Anaconda » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 am

Idaho_guy wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Idaho_guy wrote:To the OP: what generation American are you?


At least fourth generation. My lineage is Mexican-American, and I know my grandparents were natural born citizens. As far as great-grandparents, I'm not sure, but I doubt it would make much difference.

Definitely put Mexican American on your apps... Then profit.


Pretty freaking lame. I'm a first generation American from a single parent home, and I'm not going to get shit out of it because I'm not a certain race or ethnicity. My great-grandfather was freaking Mongolian, and I don't go around telling people I'm 1/8 Asian.

/end URM rant.


I am somewhat conflicted on this point. I can see how race alone is not always as much of a factor as the URM bump seems to make it out to be. On the other hand, there are situations where race has played a part in hardship for individuals. In my own case, I'm really not sure how much race has affected my family's low income status.[/quote]

Well you could certainly talk about the low income status in your PS (btw, I strongly believe URM should be replaced with individual family history/socioeconomic factor - but I truly didn't mean to turn this into a discussion about URM status), but definitely focus on LSAT (future)/GPA (now). You have the advantage of being surrounded by boredom to help you focus, haha.

Idaho_guy
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 am

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Idaho_guy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 am

At least fourth generation. My lineage is Mexican-American, and I know my grandparents were natural born citizens. As far as great-grandparents, I'm not sure, but I doubt it would make much difference.[/quote]
Definitely put Mexican American on your apps... Then profit.[/quote]

Pretty freaking lame. I'm a first generation American from a single parent home, and I'm not going to get shit out of it because I'm not a certain race or ethnicity. My great-grandfather was freaking Mongolian, and I don't go around telling people I'm 1/8 Asian.

/end URM rant.[/quote]

I am somewhat conflicted on this point. I can see how race alone is not always as much of a factor as the URM bump seems to make it out to be. On the other hand, there are situations where race has played a part in hardship for individuals. In my own case, I'm really not sure how much race has affected my family's low income status.[/quote]

Well you could certainly talk about the low income status in your PS (btw, I strongly believe URM should be replaced with individual family history/socioeconomic factor - but I truly didn't mean to turn this into a discussion about URM status), but definitely focus on LSAT (future)/GPA (now). You have the advantage of being surrounded by boredom to help you focus, haha.[/quote]

I'm setting a goal for a 3.7 minimum by the time I'm done with UG. And as far as the LSAT goes , I plan to take it very seriously when the time comes. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Hey-O » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Idaho_guy wrote:lol, enjoy college? Did I mention that I'm in Idaho?


I de ho? No. You de ho! AAHAHAHAHA Most hilarious joke of all time. But seriously, Idaho kicks ass. It is beautiful and it is great if you like the outdoors.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: I go to Idaho State

Postby Hey-O » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Idaho_guy wrote:lol, enjoy college? Did I mention that I'm in Idaho?


I de ho? No. You de ho! AAHAHAHAHA Most hilarious joke of all time. But seriously, Idaho kicks ass. It is beautiful and it is great if you like the outdoors.


Oops. I was thinking about U of I which is in Moscow, Idaho. Idaho State is in Pokie isn't? That blows.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests