Finally My Turn!: Chances(3.66/177) plus app timing.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rundoxierun

Finally My Turn!: Chances(3.66/177) plus app timing.

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:35 am

Wow.. I have been on TLS long enough to witness two admissions cycles and now my turn is finally coming up in the fall. I've looked at LSP(which came out ridiculously optimistic) so the chances portion, outside of the top 3, is more for tradition than anything but if someone has special advice feel free.
Here we go: AA male, first gen college grad, 3.66 LSDAS gpa(everything less than an A is from freshman year, 4.0+ the last 4 semesters), 177 LSAT(retake, 164 first time). Standard softs(finance intern for large company, consulting intern for small company, leadership organizations, tutoring elem. students, attended selective LSAC backed summer diversity program, etc.)

Schools(In order of preference for kicks):
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
Chicago
UC-Berkeley
Michigan
Columbia/NYU
Penn/UVA/Vandy
GTown/Texas
WUSTL

Also, I have two issues regarding app timing. Stanford is far and away my top choice so I would really really like to get in. Is it better for me to send my app in as early as possible or should I wait for fall grades to come out so that I(likely) have a gpa above the 3.7 line. Same thing with Columbia, should I send app in early for better shot at money or should I wait for the higher GPA after Fall semester. I know the app timing thing usually isnt an issue but I think Im right at the cusp of when you might get more benefit from the higher grade. From what I have seen 3.7+ and 175+ seems to be the point where all doors are open.

Sauer Grapes

Re: Finally My Turn!: Chances(3.66/177) plus app timing.

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:46 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:58 am

I think as an AA Male with 3.66, 177 your basically into any school that you want.

The key thing for Stanford being your first choice is to put together a good application and express your strong interest in them. If you make it clear that you want Stanford above any other school, it'll be almost guaranteed you'll get it.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Yeah, you're doing well. Play it safe, blanket the T 10. DON'T ED anywhere though. You want to wait for YHS, which don't ED. To be honest, I see you at Yale or Harvard.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:03 pm

With a 177, there's a decent chance you're the highest scoring AA male in the cycle. You'll be in everywhere you want. I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:33 pm

With your score and URM status, you have a good shot of getting into HYS. Yale may not take you but Harvard/Stanford will.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:22 pm

From what I have seen 3.7+ and 175+ seems to be the point where all doors are open.

Except when you're an AA male, and likely to be the highest scoring AA male!! Those numbers are for "everyone". I have to agree with everyone else so far. From what I've read over the last few months, it seems as though most schools will be a shoo-in for you.

I noticed that no one really addressed your timing concern and I think for good reason - It won't matter very much! I would personally try to do some research on Stanford, send some e-mails and meet with an admissions counselor there. I am also far and away interested in Stanford, and have done similar things... It allows you to write a very succinct yet thorough "Why Stanford?" short essay and allows you to discuss why you think you would bring something to Stanford's table, and vice versa.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:30 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Wow.. I have been on TLS long enough to witness two admissions cycles and now my turn is finally coming up in the fall. I've looked at LSP(which came out ridiculously optimistic) so the chances portion, outside of the top 3, is more for tradition than anything but if someone has special advice feel free.
Here we go: AA male, first gen college grad, 3.66 LSDAS gpa(everything less than an A is from freshman year, 4.0+ the last 4 semesters), 177 LSAT(retake, 164 first time). Standard softs(finance intern for large company, consulting intern for small company, leadership organizations, tutoring elem. students, attended selective LSAC backed summer diversity program, etc.)

Schools(In order of preference for kicks):
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
Chicago
UC-Berkeley
Michigan
Columbia/NYU
Penn/UVA/Vandy
GTown/Texas
WUSTL

Also, I have two issues regarding app timing. Stanford is far and away my top choice so I would really really like to get in. Is it better for me to send my app in as early as possible or should I wait for fall grades to come out so that I(likely) have a gpa above the 3.7 line. Same thing with Columbia, should I send app in early for better shot at money or should I wait for the higher GPA after Fall semester. I know the app timing thing usually isnt an issue but I think Im right at the cusp of when you might get more benefit from the higher grade. From what I have seen 3.7+ and 175+ seems to be the point where all doors are open.

Do not worry about fall grades for all schools besides Yale. Send in early apps and you will probably be admitted everywhere. Then update your transcript after another 4.0 and send your app out to Y -- which you will also get into. Good luck with the Y vs. S dilemma

Return to “What are my chances?”