My GPA is lower than yours

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cccZillo
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 am

My GPA is lower than yours

Postby cccZillo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:42 pm

I have a 2.45 GPA and a 169 on the June LSAT. This is usually the part where people tell their heartbreaking story of why their GPA is so low, but the schools won’t care, so why should you.

I want to stay in Chicago, so naturally I’m looking at Kent, Loyola and DePaul. I’ve already taken the liberties of eliminating Northwestern and UC from any wishlists. I graduated in ’07 and have spent the last three years working as a journalist (which should explain the need for a career change).

I plan to retake in October, because I’m fairly confident I can hit 171-172. But that hypothetical aside, do I have a chance at those three schools with my current numbers, or am I bound for John Marshall?

(I’ve heard the law school predictors are less reliable for big splitters, so I brought the question here.)

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Ty Webb » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 pm

If you go anywhere below UI-UC with those numbers, you're selling yourself short.

Signed,
Guy with a GPA lower than yours

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 pm

I would think that you'll be accepted to all three (Kent, Loyola, and DePaul) possibly with some scholarship offers. LSAT is more significant than GPA and you have a good one- way, way above median for any of those schools (although your GPA is considerably below median I'm sure). I agree with the other poster about not selling yourself short, though I'm sure the GPA will set some limitations so I agree that it is good to try and be realistic about what your options are. Can you write a good explanation addendum for your applications re: GPA? Your situation is one where I think it may definitely be called for.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 pm

2.11 169, accepted last cycle to UIUC. Go there for 3 years, then get a job in Chicago.

tobecomealawyer
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby tobecomealawyer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:09 pm

The LSAT is good, the GPA is low. I'd apply to WUSTL (they like splitters) even though you want Chicago... they place well there, and you may have to live in St. Louis for three years, but I guarantee it'd be better for employment prospects.

Also, I'd apply to UIUC. You'll probably get in, even with money. Schools look at LSAT far more than GPA.

tobecomealawyer
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby tobecomealawyer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Also, it isn't really going to hurt to TRY Northwestern. Chicago would be an auto-deny, IMO.

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 pm

tobecomealawyer wrote:Also, it isn't really going to hurt to TRY Northwestern. Chicago would be an auto-deny, IMO.


If you do retake and get 170+, if you ED at NU I think you stand a chance. There were a couple this cycle who had sub 3.0 GPAs, LSAT scores above 170, and were admitted ED. That school loves the WE.

cccZillo
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 am

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby cccZillo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks for the advice all. Man, I was worried about getting those "maybe law school isn't for you responses." Those are brutal.

So I guess I'll retake the LSAT based on the outside chance of getting in at Northwestern. My average on PTs was 171-172, and I got my 169 after missing four questions on the last game (a section I had been perfect in for about two months) so I'm not too concerned about dipping below a 168.

We like this plan?

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Thirteen » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:37 pm

cccZillo wrote:Thanks for the advice all. Man, I was worried about getting those "maybe law school isn't for you responses." Those are brutal.

So I guess I'll retake the LSAT based on the outside chance of getting in at Northwestern. My average on PTs was 171-172, and I got my 169 after missing four questions on the last game (a section I had been perfect in for about two months) so I'm not too concerned about dipping below a 168.

We like this plan?


The exact same thing happened to me. I missed 3 on one game, and was also averaging around 172 on practice tests. Your plan sounds good. If you score a 171, send in an ED app to Northwestern.

cccZillo
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 am

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby cccZillo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 am

Sorry to bring back an old thread, it's just easier on my psyche than explaining my GPA all over again.

I'm going to use my ED at Northwestern (if I get 171+), but I'm also going to apply ED to Notre Dame, since it's not binding. The deadline there is November 1st, which is a pretty tight squeeze with the October 9 LSAT.

So my question is do I wait on the score (it's just a matter of hitting send on the application, right?), or do I apply ASAP knowing that the LSAC will send in my updated score? I envision a scenario where a school sees my 2.45/169, throws it out, and never gets a chance to see my 2.45/171.

As always thank you for the help.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:31 pm

cccZillo wrote:Sorry to bring back an old thread, it's just easier on my psyche than explaining my GPA all over again.

I'm going to use my ED at Northwestern (if I get 171+), but I'm also going to apply ED to Notre Dame, since it's not binding. The deadline there is November 1st, which is a pretty tight squeeze with the October 9 LSAT.

So my question is do I wait on the score (it's just a matter of hitting send on the application, right?), or do I apply ASAP knowing that the LSAC will send in my updated score? I envision a scenario where a school sees my 2.45/169, throws it out, and never gets a chance to see my 2.45/171.

As always thank you for the help.


Apply ASAP, and send an e-mail to the Admissions Committee asking them to wait until they receive the new score to review your application.

ahoward9
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby ahoward9 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Wow I thought I was the only one! I grad with a 2.45 7 years ago mass comm major. Congrats on your lsat score that very good! I'm taking in Sept and I'm shooting for a 165. I too wonder if I have a chance. I deft non traditional. Any advice on what score I realistically need? Thanks!!

MyNameIsntJames
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:24 pm

cccZillo wrote:I have a 2.45 GPA and a 169 on the June LSAT. This is usually the part where people tell their heartbreaking story of why their GPA is so low, but the schools won’t care, so why should you.

I want to stay in Chicago, so naturally I’m looking at Kent, Loyola and DePaul. I’ve already taken the liberties of eliminating Northwestern and UC from any wishlists. I graduated in ’07 and have spent the last three years working as a journalist (which should explain the need for a career change).

I plan to retake in October, because I’m fairly confident I can hit 171-172. But that hypothetical aside, do I have a chance at those three schools with my current numbers, or am I bound for John Marshall?

(I’ve heard the law school predictors are less reliable for big splitters, so I brought the question here.)



Hmmm..The fact you have nearly 10 years between you and undergrad works pretty well in your favor, although it can beg the question of why someone wants to enter law this late into their lives (guessing you're in your 30's). Don't think admission to a school is impossible by any means, but not sure how much this endeavor will be worthwhile for you, assuming you receive acceptance, graduate and pass Bar. What's your purpose for wanting to attend law school at this point in your life? If its to simply try out a new career, I'm not sure if this would be the best move.

MyNameIsntJames
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Woops... didn't know this thread got necro'd....

Wonder whatever became of this person.

Wipfelder
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:20 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote: What's your purpose for wanting to attend law school at this point in your life? If its to simply try out a new career, I'm not sure if this would be the best move.


Jesus dude, you make it seem like switching one's career in their thirties is like "One last job to make ends meet until social security kicks in."

cavalier1138
Posts: 1131
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote: What's your purpose for wanting to attend law school at this point in your life? If its to simply try out a new career, I'm not sure if this would be the best move.


Jesus dude, you make it seem like switching one's career in their thirties is like "One last job to make ends meet until social security kicks in."


I know that I'm basically just counting down the 10,000+ days to retirement...

Wipfelder
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: My GPA is lower than yours

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote: What's your purpose for wanting to attend law school at this point in your life? If its to simply try out a new career, I'm not sure if this would be the best move.


Jesus dude, you make it seem like switching one's career in their thirties is like "One last job to make ends meet until social security kicks in."


I know that I'm basically just counting down the 10,000+ days to retirement...



It's been a bunch of downhill bullshit after the BIG WIN AT STATE. Hopefully my Letterman's jacket still fits, otherwise I'm gonna be freezing my butt off walking to Law School every day, MEDICAID won't pay for my scooter so I gotta make do with the walker until MEDICARE kicks in.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests