3.6, 174 (multiple LSATs) do I ED at NYU or Columbia

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Do you think its worth it to apply early to Columbia?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 22

confused891

3.6, 174 (multiple LSATs) do I ED at NYU or Columbia

Postby confused891 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:23 pm

I am reapplying in the fall and am interested in going to school in NYC. I have taken the LSAT a whopping 3 times (Cancel, 169, 174) and I have a 3.6 GPA from a top 25 UG and mediocre to unspectacular softs. Do you think it would be a better decision to apply ED to NYU or Columbia assuming that I want to make sure that I get into one of the schools. I would prefer to go to Columbia but I run the risk of being rejected by both if I ED there. If I ED at NYU, I think I'd probably have a better shot of getting in there, but limit my chances of getting into Columbia. Any advice?

Also, does reapplying hurt my application or does it not matter?

thanks.

nematoad

Re: 3.6, 174 (multiple LSATs) do I ED at NYU or Columbia

Postby nematoad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:34 pm

confused891 wrote:

Also, does reapplying hurt my application or does it not matter?

I'm curious about this as well. And for the record, I'd ED at Columbia if I were you, but its certainly not the prudent thing to do.

edit: according to lawschoolpredictor if u ED at NYU u move from a consider to a strong consider, but no change at Columbia... food for thought. still, if you apply in Sept. youre putting yourself it pretty darn good position for both schools regardless of ED's. still would ED at Columbia

confused891

Postby confused891 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks a lot, yeah.. I have taken a look at Law School Predictor... It comes down to whether I am willing to take the risk of not getting into either and then what? reapply for a 3rd time, i dont think i can put myself through that again.

Can anyone give nematoad or me any information about how an admission officer looks at a candidate who is reapplying?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:04 pm

NYU

Much better odds

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115628&hilit=reapplying
closest thing i could find to a response on the topic. and like booboo said, all anecdotal.
my assumption (which has no real basis) is that it cant hurt your app as long as you did something constructive within that year(i hope youre working). for you, you got a 174 in the bag which is a pretty damn sexy score and now youre above the lsat medians of both schools by a couple points. depending on who is reading your app, i think reapplying will range from not giving any boost to your new application (so they read it as if its completely fresh) to a adcom appreciating your dedication and hardwork in gambling and reapplying w/ improvments (slightly idealistic?)

it would be nice if someone who has experience on the situation to weigh in.

confused891

Postby confused891 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Does anyone have any first hand experience about reapplying with a higher LSAT score?

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:23 pm

confused891 wrote:Does anyone have any first hand experience about reapplying with a higher LSAT score?

bumpity

Return to “What are my chances?”