3.72/162 Mexican-American, UT undergrad graduate

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pdrez

3.72/162 Mexican-American, UT undergrad graduate

Postby pdrez » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm

My dream is to go back home to University of Texas where I am from and where I graduated in 2006. I am 3/4 Mexican, 1/4 white if that info helps at all. 3.72 GPA, 162 LSAT (second time taking it, I know I can do better, should I take a third time?)

Alternative choices:

USC (stretching it with weak LSAT)
UCLA (ditto)
UC-Davis
Houston
Baylor
San Diego
SMU

I have been in New York since graduation working in various industries: media planning and advertising, Voiceover Acting (yes, I featured in multiple commercials, ha). I came to New York to discover myself after originally desiring Law School right after graduation, and have come full circle and passionately want a career in law.

Does being a graduate from the same university have any effect on admissions? Does anyone know from experience?

Should I take the LSAT a (gasp) third time?

Thank you for your help!
Patrick

rjr575

Re: 3.72/162 Mexican-American, UT undergrad graduate

Postby rjr575 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm

As a fellow Mexican-American who has been accepted to UT, I believe that you have a good shot of getting in. Also 3/4's Mexican-American means that you will get the URM boost. Apply early decision and write a strong diversity and personal statement. If you can score better, why not test again? It could definitely increase your chances and give you a good shot at recieving scholarship money.

pdrez

Postby pdrez » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for your response, lifted my spirits. I just got my latest LSAT score two days ago and was 3 points shy of what I should have gotten (just human, test-day mistakes on my part).

I will take your advice and try and go ED, it seems like sound advice. Testing again is risky because ED requires early October and the next LSAT isn't until October, so it wouldn't work out I don't think.

Oh, if I can ask, did you got with a "diversity" personal statement and, if so, did you find that it helped you?

Thanks,
Patrick

rjr575

Postby rjr575 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 pm

It would be difficult to have all your materials in by Nov 1. All I am saying is that your not a shoe-in for an acceptance, so a higher score could not hurt. From what I have heard UT Law does like thier own, and your work experience should help as well. Make sure that your LOR's are strong and that if you choose to write a diversity statement that it is beneficial to your cause. A well-written diversity statement can help.

Return to “What are my chances?”