3.58/172 -- ED Chicago or UVA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

ED Chicago or UVA?

Chicago
51%
UVA
38%
Neither, fool.
11%

Total votes: 37

mst

Re: 3.58/172 -- ED Chicago or UVA?

Postby mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 am

It's the best school in the state, and god forbid something goes wrong with my family or financials, it's nice to have that insurance policy. There are few truly valuable lessons I've learned in college, and one of them is to always have a back up plan...

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 am

mst wrote:It's the best school in the state, and god forbid something goes wrong with my family or financials, it's nice to have that insurance policy. There are few truly valuable lessons I've learned in college, and one of them is to always have a back up plan...

It's the best school in the state, but it's not very good. The people I know who went to FSU struggled a whole lot with finding work in Florida even before the Great Recession.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:16 am

vanwinkle wrote:
cubswin wrote:If you don't have a preference, you could ED at both and then withdraw from the other if you are accepted.

You cannot ED at both at the same time, it violates the terms of almost all ED contracts to be under more than one contract at a time. However, UVA accepts ED applications until March and allows you to switch from RD to ED, so what you can do is RD to UVA and ED to Chicago the first day they accept applications, and if they Chicago doesn't accept you, send UVA the ED contract and ask to be switched to ED.

Voila, ED at both, and legally.

TITCR

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 pm

If you're going to ED at Chicago, you might as well wait to send in your ED to UVA until you hear back from Chicago. There's literally no benefit in sending in your RD app to UVA and hoping they don't WL/reject you before you hear from Chicago.

1. Chicago admits you; it is irrelevant whether or not you get into UVA.
2. Chicago WL/reject you; you will ED to UVA, in which case you are simply hoping that you haven't gotten WL/rejected. It is very unlikely your numbers would get in to UVA before January.

So I'll echo vanwinkle with a twist: ED Chicago, and if you don't get admitted, THEN send in your ED application to UVA. Don't even bother sending in a RD app at all.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

5ky wrote:and if you don't get admitted, THEN send in your ED application to UVA. Don't even bother sending in a RD app at all.

Telling somebody not to apply to a reach school till January = ballsy. Touche.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

5ky wrote:If you're going to ED at Chicago, you might as well wait to send in your ED to UVA until you hear back from Chicago. There's literally no benefit in sending in your RD app to UVA and hoping they don't WL/reject you before you hear from Chicago.

2. Chicago WL/reject you; you will ED to UVA, in which case you are simply hoping that you haven't gotten WL/rejected. It is very unlikely your numbers would get in to UVA before January.

So I'll echo vanwinkle with a twist: ED Chicago, and if you don't get admitted, THEN send in your ED application to UVA. Don't even bother sending in a RD app at all.

UVa won't reject him, and the ED can be done if you are on the WL. I'd apply to UVA early. Might even get in RD with a good Why UVA? letter.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
5ky wrote:If you're going to ED at Chicago, you might as well wait to send in your ED to UVA until you hear back from Chicago. There's literally no benefit in sending in your RD app to UVA and hoping they don't WL/reject you before you hear from Chicago.

UVa won't reject him, and the ED can be done if you are on the WL. I'd apply to UVA early. Might even get in RD with a good Why UVA? letter.

Her!

I didn't know you could ED while on the WL. That's interesting. I am definitely not comfortable waiting to apply to UVA until late December. And I plan on kissing enormous amounts of ass in my Why UVA essay.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

dominkay wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Her!

I didn't know you could ED while on the WL. That's interesting. I am definitely not comfortable waiting to apply to UVA until late December. And I plan on kissing enormous amounts of ass in my Why UVA essay.

I think Panda got in after being rejected when his ED form arrived the day after he got rejected.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I guess I don't see the benefit of sending in the RD app. I think it would be hard to argue at UVA that a January ED application, with LSAT >75th would not be stronger than an early RD application.

This is all predicated on whether or not you can ED off the waitlist; I didn't think anyone had actually done that. If you can, then I guess there's no harm in sending off the RD application. DF, can you point me to where that happened? I'm interested to see it.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

5ky wrote:I guess I don't see the benefit of sending in the RD app. I think it would be hard to argue at UVA that a January ED application, with LSAT >75th would not be stronger than an early RD application.

This is all predicated on whether or not you can ED off the waitlist; I didn't think anyone had actually done that. If you can, then I guess there's no harm in sending off the RD application. DF, can you point me to where that happened? I'm interested to see it.

The benefit I see is that App->WL->ED looks like you really want UVA, and No App ->late ED app looks like desperation.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dominkay wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Her!

I think Panda got in after being rejected when his ED form arrived the day after he got rejected.

That is not the same thing though. That was a case where the decision to ED was made PRIOR to a decision being rendered.

FSULaw

Postby FSULaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm

dominkay wrote:
mst wrote:It's the best school in the state, and god forbid something goes wrong with my family or financials, it's nice to have that insurance policy. There are few truly valuable lessons I've learned in college, and one of them is to always have a back up plan...

It's the best school in the state, but it's not very good. The people I know who went to FSU struggled a whole lot with finding work in Florida even before the Great Recession.

FSU has had better placement in Florida than UF. FSU has been constantly producing 99 and 98 percent placement in the first nine months. I am not sure what your definition of struggling is.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:41 pm

FSULaw wrote:
dominkay wrote:

FSU has had better placement in Florida than UF. FSU has been constantly producing 99 and 98 percent placement in the first nine months. I am not sure what your definition of struggling is.

Oh, sorry! I conflated UF and FSU. Of the two people I know who went to UF, both are doing shitlaw, and one took over a year to find a job. I don't know anything about FSU, but I am skeptical that it places much better.

Return to “What are my chances?”