3.58/172 -- ED Chicago or UVA? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

ED Chicago or UVA?

Chicago
50%
UVA
37%
Neither, fool.
13%

Total votes: 38

dominkay

Bronze

3.58/172 -- ED Chicago or UVA?

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 am

3.58 GPA (upward trend, like everyone else), 172 LSAT. Decent softs (quirky internship, worked my way through school), strong LOR (I assume), interesting PS (I hope).

I'm contemplating applying early decision to Chicago or UVA.

Are my numbers so low that ED at Chicago would be a waste? If I do ED to Chicago, should I apply RD to UVA at the same time, or wait to see whether Chicago dings me and then go ED there?

I'm afraid that my RD chances at UVA are basically a coin flip. For various reasons, I am way less keen on the rest of the T14. Mich is a distant third, and I don't think my chances are significantly better there.
Last edited by dominkay on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Silver

Re: 3.58/172 -- ED Chicago or UVA?

Post by cubswin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 am

If you don't have a preference, you could ED at both and then withdraw from the other if you are accepted.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 am

You haz look lsn?

ED Chicago, you could get it. I agree with your UVA assessment but Mich could throw you some money. Good luck.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 am

cubswin wrote:If you don't have a preference, you could ED at both and then withdraw from the other if you are accepted.
You cannot ED at both at the same time, it violates the terms of almost all ED contracts to be under more than one contract at a time. However, UVA accepts ED applications until March and allows you to switch from RD to ED, so what you can do is RD to UVA and ED to Chicago the first day they accept applications, and if they Chicago doesn't accept you, send UVA the ED contract and ask to be switched to ED.

Voila, ED at both, and legally.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 am

Flanker1067 wrote:You haz look lsn?

ED Chicago, you could get it. I agree with your UVA assessment but Mich could throw you some money. Good luck.
I haz! LSN is driving me crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:12 am

vanwinkle wrote:
cubswin wrote:If you don't have a preference, you could ED at both and then withdraw from the other if you are accepted.
You cannot ED at both at the same time, it violates the terms of almost all ED contracts to be under more than one contract at a time. However, UVA accepts ED applications until March and allows you to switch from RD to ED, so what you can do is RD to UVA and ED to Chicago the first day they accept applications, and if they Chicago doesn't accept you, send UVA the ED contract and ask to be switched to ED.

Is UVA's ED always open til March?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 am

lawschoollll wrote:Is UVA's ED always open til March?
That was new for this past cycle, but from what I've heard, that will continue next cycle.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 am

vanwinkle wrote:

Is it unlikely that UVA will have already waitlisted me by the time Chicago gets around to the potential ding? I think they don't make decisions about ED until around Christmas. Lazy bastards.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 am

dominkay wrote:Is it unlikely that UVA will have already waitlisted me by the time Chicago gets around to the potential ding? I think they don't make decisions about ED until around Christmas. Lazy bastards.
The past two cycles in a row, UVA did not make the majority of their RD decisions until starting in late January. You'll very likely have time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:30 am

Last edited by Sentry on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

"You may not apply to a binding early decision program at another law school if you are applying Early Decision at Chicago. "

Oops. Sorry for the bad advice, dude. I know I've seen people talk about doing this before, and I thought someone explained that it was okay if you withdrew once you were accepted.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
That was new for this past cycle, but from what I've heard, that will continue next cycle.
Did you hear that from a reliable source?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Why do you want UVA so bad?

You've got a shot at NYU RD, and money at Mich and Duke RD.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:22 pm

im_blue wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Did you hear that from a reliable source?
Yes, I did.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why do you want UVA so bad?

I'm interested in working in DC and I'm infatuated with Charlottesville and UVA's campus, clinics, culture and even a few of the profs.

Some of it is also process of elimination: I want to leave New York, and I am disturbed by the Duke faculty's disrespect for their students' due process rights.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

dominkay wrote: I am disturbed by the Duke faculty's disrespect for their students' due process rights.
What does this refer to?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

dominkay wrote:

I'm interested in working in DC and I'm infatuated with Charlottesville and UVA's campus, clinics, culture and even a few of the profs.

Some of it is also process of elimination: I want to leave New York, and I am disturbed by the Duke faculty's disrespect for their students' due process rights.
Sounds like you just made the case for UVA...why are you considering the Chicago ED? Do you feel equally as entranced by the school, or just the prestige (not meant to be snide)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

dominkay wrote:

Ok, I'd ED to Chicago, and if you don't get it, ED to UVA via their late decision program they have now. You've got good enough numbers where you will get it for sure.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:09 pm

artichoke88 wrote:
dominkay wrote: I am disturbed by the Duke faculty's disrespect for their students' due process rights.
What does this refer to?
The Duke Lacrosse non-rape scandal.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
OMG! The NU-->UVA-->GULC tripledip ED plan for splitters lives!!!!

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
dominkay wrote:

Sounds like you just made the case for UVA...why are you considering the Chicago ED? Do you feel equally as entranced by the school, or just the prestige (not meant to be snide)?
I am very excited about Chicago the school. I am less thrilled about Chicago the city, but my boyfriend is much more willing to move there. And prestige certainly isn't worthless, in terms of the opportunities it affords.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:16 am

dominkay wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
dominkay wrote:

I am very excited about Chicago the school. I am less thrilled about Chicago the city, but my boyfriend is much more willing to move there. And prestige certainly isn't worthless, in terms of the opportunities it affords.
You want the rigor.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:You want the rigor.
That's what he said!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am

edit: moved to new thread.
Last edited by mst on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am

mst wrote:I'm in the same boat as the OP (3.6, distinct upward trend, one time test in June: 172) good softs on the involvement/internship side but no w.e. I didn't want to start a new thread, but I'd like some questions answered if you folks can spare a few. And trust me, I have spent months going through LSN & LSP, but I know there might be some self-selection going on, Additionally, the LSN pool for 172/(3.55-3.65) is like 15 people from last year, so that's kind of pointless. So please, somebody with some deep knowledge about these schools chip in....

First:
-Is ED at CCN worth it? Is there a possibility that I can get into other T10's or that one of the T14+UCLA+USC+WUSTL would give me $? Do we really stand more than a lucky-shot chance with CCN with RD? If I were willing to commit to RDing to either Columbia or NYU, which would you suggest based off my numbers... or is it a toss up that I need to feel out due to which one I like more?
-Can I get into UCLA with this GPA? I know Berkeley is a long shot so I probably won't apply there (even though that school would be awesomeee). If I somehow get in at UCLA, am I looking at any chance for cash? I would love to have UCLA as an option, but I don't want to put too much focus on this in the app process if I don't stand much of a chance, and I potentially stand a great chance at a T14.
-USC cash? (Can I basically count on getting in and treat it as my safety? Or do I need to apply downward more...)
-Georgetown: In or out?
-Cornell: In or out? Can I get cash? Should I EA?
-Honestly, I'm not ecstatic about being stuck in Penn or Michigan for 3 years, and I'm not going to jump through the loops with their "Why x?" essays if it will detract from my other apps? How worthwhile do you think applying to these schools (MDPV) is with my numbers considering how minimal my interest is in them outside of the fact they are T10s?
-UF: Can I get a full ride at a school like this or is it stripped for cash (state resident)? Should I apply to FSU to build up more of a chance for cash?? I'll be applying to UF either way, in the off case money/family issues arise and I need to stay in FL.
-George Washington as a safety/cash bet?

Thanks. Whoever answers these questions the best will be my TLS BFF for life.

PS: Cities that I would loooove to go to school in (no order): NY, LA, SF, Chicago, DC. And I want to be able to have either a transferable degree (to practice in any of the above cities) or a degree that will give me lee-way within Cali.
I've been looking at the same data you have, and it's ridiculous that you're even considering UF. I think you're definitely in at Cornell and Georgetown, probably with some cash.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”