2.1 gpa, what are my chances??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jasonk10

2.1 gpa, what are my chances??

Postby jasonk10 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:15 am

I'm currently serving in the S.Korean military (Air Force) after i've graduted from the U of Toronto with a Bachelor of Commerce. As noted in the topic subject, i graduated with a 2.1 gpa which probably was because of my lack of effort (plus the difficulty of the program in my defence..) After a serious thought on my career while i spend about a year in my squadron, I decided to consider applying to law school. I have about a year left in my military service, and i personally think this is more than enough time to prep for LSAT. I wasn't always the underachiever type, i just got carried away by the university life, and there wasn't enough room to grow up and seriously think about my future. Now that i'm stuck in here with lots of time to contemplate on my own, i realized that going to law school would probably be the best option for me since it would excel on what i plan on doing with my career later on.
Now I'm wondering what my chances are of getting into a 'good' (low tier-1 or tier-2 would match my definition of 'good')law school with such a low gpa and if serving in the military for 2years would be a positive for my addendum, and if i had any chance of getting into a 'good' law school, what LSAT score should I aim for??

Your advice on anything will be greatly appreciated!

BruceBarr

Re: 2.1 gpa, what are my chances??

Postby BruceBarr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 am

No chance, sorry. No school wants to admit someone with a 2.1 GPA because they don't want to have to report that when it comes time. Even with a 180 LSAT score, a 2.1 GPA just means bad student. You may be the smartest kid applying, but that does NOT make you a good student.

You just don't have a chance at any T1 or T2 school.

ConLawLover

Postby ConLawLover » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:06 am

not true. one of my friends got into Florida with a 167, 2.37.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:09 am

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 am

Will it really matter that much that OP has a 2.1? I mean this as opposed to a 2.7 or other similarly uncompetitive GPA. Regardless, he will be in the lowest quartile and shouldn't have any impact on the 25/75 of the school that he wouldn't have with significantly better (but still "bad") GPAs. I'm wondering if this is how law schools look at it. My guess, and it really is just a guess, is that most T2 schools where you are able to get an LSAT score above their 75% will accept you.

Edit: Looked at LSN and things are a little more bleak. Good luck though!

Return to “What are my chances?”