UVa ED vs. RD

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
willyj

UVa ED vs. RD

Postby willyj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Sitting on 167 with a 3.9; if I apply the first day apps are taken to UVa, is it going to mean much more for my app to apply ED rather than RD. I'm from Georgia, and I feel like I could get some good dolla bills there, but I would only choose UGA over a better school if their deal was good enough ("good enough" is a figure I've yet to determine)...assuming that I'd get anything at all of course. Opinions?

JWicker10

Re: UVa ED vs. RD

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Haha, you've got a few threads going. ED makes a difference in that it lets the school you're applying to know that you're serious about attending there, and also that they're your first choice/you're going to attend if admitted. This makes a difference in their yield rate which is significant for USNWR rankings.

I still think your LSAT is a little low for UVA though, you should consider re-taking.

Because numerically you're on the border, I think ED could make a big difference.

Good luck.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm

willyj wrote:Sitting on 167 with a 3.9; if I apply the first day apps are taken to UVa, is it going to mean much more for my app to apply ED rather than RD. I'm from Georgia, and I feel like I could get some good dolla bills there, but I would only choose UGA over a better school if their deal was good enough ("good enough" is a figure I've yet to determine)...assuming that I'd get anything at all of course. Opinions?

Yes. You can fawn all over a school in a Why X essay, but as a borderline candidate, if they give you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is, they expect you to take it.

If you want to see how things play out with your other applications though, hold off applying (ED, of course) to UVA later in the cycle.
Last edited by badwithpseudonyms on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willyj

Postby willyj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm

JWicker10 wrote:Haha, you've got a few threads going. ED makes a difference in that it lets the school you're applying to know that you're serious about attending there, and also that they're your first choice/you're going to attend if admitted. This makes a difference in their yield rate which is significant for USNWR rankings.

I still think your LSAT is a little low for UVA though, you should consider re-taking.

Because numerically you're on the border, I think ED could make a big difference.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm starting to think about it that, as much as it hurts to do so. What are you talking about with your reference to USNWR yield rates? Do you mean that ED applicants are more often admitted with borderline numbers at UVa in comparison to other top law schools?

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 pm

No, USNWR=US News and World Report

A schools yield is the percentage of people that matriculate compared with the number admitted. It's best to obviously have a high yield/high percentage of those admitted matriculate for rankings/perception.

Return to “What are my chances?”