3.9 GPA; 167 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JWicker10

Bronze

Re: 3.9 GPA; 167 LSAT

Post by JWicker10 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm

willyj wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
willyj wrote:What's the red tape like to get out of an ED?

You can't get out of an ED if accepted. If you have merely applied ED and not heard back, I have heard of cases of people switching from ED to RD (of course, the formerly ED school will reject you or waitlist you at this point, but still). I have heard of people waiting a year after being admitted ED and then applying broadly the next year, but schools frown upon this, and some ED contracts might explicitly or implicitly forbid such a plan of action.

Well there has to be some sort of out; they're not going to hide in my closet and kill me in my sleep should I be accepted elsewhere and attend that school.
I can't remember where I read the story, but there was a guy who was accepted ED to a school and was accepted. However, he didn't withdraw and then was accepted to Harvard. When the school he applied ED to found out, they called the entire top 20 and notified them about the candidate. Every single school revoked admission. It's binding early decision, not a joke.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:33 pm

willyj wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

You can't get out of an ED if accepted. If you have merely applied ED and not heard back, I have heard of cases of people switching from ED to RD (of course, the formerly ED school will reject you or waitlist you at this point, but still). I have heard of people waiting a year after being admitted ED and then applying broadly the next year, but schools frown upon this, and some ED contracts might explicitly or implicitly forbid such a plan of action.

Well there has to be some sort of out; they're not going to hide in my closet and kill me in my sleep should I be accepted elsewhere and attend that school.

No, the school you rejected even after you were accepted ED will tell your other school about your action. This school you want to attend will then withdraw its acceptance, leaving you high and dry. ED is not an informal practice. You sign a contract and the terms of the contract are binding. Now, it is true that they don't have a whole lot of leverage on you, and surely you can choose not to attend law school, period, due to personal reasons, and these personal reasons are basically unverifiable. But, you have to consider the worst case scenario and take into account bar admission, etc.

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:34 pm

willyj wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

Discover the importance of following the rules, considering that you want to go to LAW school.

kwhiteside

New

Post by kwhiteside » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:34 pm

I have exactly the same numbers and very similar softs with nearly identical school lists. I'm retaking in October. 167 just won't cut it for many of those schools.

3 more months of studying is totally worth the difference between UGA, Vandy, Emory and T-10.

JWicker10

Bronze

Post by JWicker10 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm

kwhiteside wrote:I have exactly the same numbers and very similar softs with nearly identical school lists. I'm retaking in October. 167 just won't cut it for many of those schools.

3 more months of studying is totally worth the difference between UGA, Vandy, Emory and T-10.
Bingo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

njgal

New

Post by njgal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:36 pm

willyj wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

There are ways you can get out but not without consequences. ED applicants are often sent out to other schools to let them know who is on their list of accepted. If you break your contracts many schools will look down on you. Not to mention if you want to be a lawyer this seems like a pretty crappy way to start out. You also sign a contract, so breaking it can result in fines and what not as well. Only apply ED if you truly will go there no matter what

willyj

New

Post by willyj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

thisguy456 wrote:
willyj wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

Discover the importance of following the rules, considering that you want to go to LAW school.
I only ask because I worry that I might hear back quickly with an ED acceptance to a t14, but then later be offered a great scholarship at a solid non-t14, like W&M or UGA, which I might take to avoid the debt involved in going to the t14 that isn't going to give me any money (but which I would also not have gotten into RD). Anybody got a solid answer to a catch 22?

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:46 pm

sumus romani wrote:I have heard of people waiting a year after being admitted ED and then applying broadly the next year, but schools frown upon this, and some ED contracts might explicitly or implicitly forbid such a plan of action.
I'm not sure that I understand this comment?

You are bound to the school that admitted you under the ED contract for "only" the cycle in which you applied. You are absolutely free to withdraw and choose not to marticulate, and "this" does happen often for a variety of reasons - students choose not to marticulate even at the last minute. The following cycle, you are not bound to any law school and are free to reapply without any negative consequences. You could certainly include an addendum the following cycle explaining your reason(s) for withdrawing, if you wanted to explain.
Last edited by paralegal on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

njgal

New

Post by njgal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:52 pm

considering that you have to withdraw all of your applications once you have been accepted that will not be a problem. Money issues is not a reason to break an ED contract. When you apply ED you are suppossed to evaluate whether or not you can financially handle the situation. If you are not willing to pay sticker, especially with your numbers, do not apply early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

willyj

New

Post by willyj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:06 pm

So ED's supposed to help me- anyone know why lawschoolpredictor's probability didn't change when I put down that I'd apply ED there?

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 pm

njgal wrote:considering that you have to withdraw all of your applications once you have been accepted that will not be a problem.
Correct...

If you followed the rules of the ED contract "during that particular cycle" by withdrawing all other outstanding applications, ultimately chose to withdraw and not to marticulate, you are free to reapply next cycle without any negative consequences. You are definitely not bound beyond one cycle...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”