3.44/176 Help!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
carlac

3.44/176 Help!

Postby carlac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:59 am

I'm a splitter: did well on the LSAT (176) but have a not-so-great GPA of 3.44 (Princeton U.)

I'm Asian-American but was born and raised in Puerto Rico, still live there, and am bilingual (English and Spanish). I doubt this qualifies me as an URM, but I'm wondering if this background will possibly help in terms of an admissions boost?

I have also worked in a private law firm, U.S. District Court, and legal dept. of a private company during summers. Not a super strong community service record although my personal essay does revolve around a community service experience.

I'm applying to a bunch of schools ranging from BC to HLS including Cornell, WashU, UPenn, and Georgetown. 1) Is this range reasonable? 2) Should I ED Columbia or NYU (I've heard this will increase my chances significantly) or hold out for any slim chances I have at Harvard/Stanford.

Thanks!

dominkay

Re: 3.44/176 Help!

Postby dominkay » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:13 pm

carlac wrote:I'm a splitter: did well on the LSAT (176) but have a not-so-great GPA of 3.44 (Princeton U.)

I'm Asian-American but was born and raised in Puerto Rico, still live there, and am bilingual (English and Spanish). I doubt this qualifies me as an URM, but I'm wondering if this background will possibly help in terms of an admissions boost?

I have also worked in a private law firm, U.S. District Court, and legal dept. of a private company during summers. Not a super strong community service record although my personal essay does revolve around a community service experience.

I'm applying to a bunch of schools ranging from BC to HLS including Cornell, WashU, UPenn, and Georgetown. 1) Is this range reasonable? 2) Should I ED Columbia or NYU (I've heard this will increase my chances significantly) or hold out for any slim chances I have at Harvard/Stanford.

Thanks!

I think you might get a small boost? I wonder if you could identify as Puerto Rican, since you were born and raised there, and just not mention your race...

You're not enough of a splitter that you have to go ED. 176 is a really sweet score, and I think you probably have a good shot at the T6.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm

The lowest (non-URM) GPA Harvard accepted this year was 3.64, and that was off a waitlist, according to LSN.

ED to Columbia or NYU might be well advised. Even for CLS, 3.4 was the lowest non-URM admitted GPA, so you're right on the cusp. With ED I think you're almost guaranteed to be over the top.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm

If you were born and raised in Puerto Rico, I'd say you have as much right to claim Puerto Rican-ness as anyone. I would, at least. And with that, you should have a chance anywhere with your numbers. I probably wouldn't ED anywhere if I was you.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

We have almost the same numbers. I was a 3.45/176 when I applied. I applied ED to CLS and was accepted. However, they did ask for an updated transcript from the fall semester before accepting me. I ED'd there because I knew CLS was my top choice. It so happens that they also gave me a very nice need based aid package. You can PM for details if you want to compare financial situations or anything. I would not bet on a big finaid grant anywhere though. It's just not wise to ED somewhere and expect a big grant.

I am not sure if it means anything but I was accepted to NYU a week after submitting my apps. I do not think I would ED there if I were you. I am pretty sure you will get in.

As for your range, it's great. There are a lot of schools within that range tho! Lots of essays/apps :)

Edit: In addition to CLS and NYU, I was accepted to Gtown, UCLA, and Cornell. Since CLS's ED notification is kinda early, I withdrew before hearing from other schools. Also, I am hoping the schools in your range that you listed are not the only schools in that range. You definitely have a shot at CLS down. If I were you, I would not exclude any schools in the T-14 that you could realistically see yourself attending.
Last edited by swc65 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:46 pm

carlac wrote:I'm a splitter: did well on the LSAT (176) but have a not-so-great GPA of 3.44 (Princeton U.)

Thanks!

Say you are puerto Rican. People whose parents came here 2 generations ago from Italy arent claiming to be Italian. You have Asian Heritage, for Law school purposes, you are as Puerto Rican as anyone else. I will think even more than NYRicans claiming to be puerto ricans.

Who is going to challenge that you arent puerto rican? you were born and raised there right? do that and your URM status will take you to YHS

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:49 pm

cr073137 wrote:

Thanks!

Say you are puerto Rican. People whose parents came here 2 generations ago from Italy arent claiming to be Italian. You have Asian Heritage, for Law school purposes, you are as Puerto Rican as anyone else. I will think even more than NYRicans claiming to be puerto ricans.

Who is going to challenge that you arent puerto rican? you were born and raised there right? do that and your URM status will take you to YHS

Call the individual schools and ask them. Don't assume with something like this. You do not want anyone at your Supreme Court nomination hearing to bring this up and derail your nomination, have you disbarred, and make you leave the hearing in tears!

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:51 pm

I'd throw an App to HLS just for funsies.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd throw an App to HLS just for funsies.

DF I have lost all respect for you! Team Jacob? Common! J/K

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Aim higher. You sound like you could have a really good PS/DS and you may benefit from a small boost for your undergrad.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

@swc65: Did you receive any rejections? Also to swc65: That sort of thing only happens to Presidents claiming to be born in Hawaii.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

swc65 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd throw an App to HLS just for funsies.

DF I have lost all respect for you! Team Jacob? Common! J/K

Subtle Edward trolling.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 pm

cr073137 wrote:

Thanks!

I would be very, very interested in hearing how they respond to this. What matters more: the color of the skin, or the diverse background?

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 pm

sundance95 wrote:If you were born and raised in Puerto Rico, I'd say you have as much right to claim Puerto Rican-ness as anyone. I would, at least. And with that, you should have a chance anywhere with your numbers. I probably wouldn't ED anywhere if I was you.

does URM apply to race or culture? cause youre definitely puerto rican. afterall, white south africans are african... theyre just not black :wink:

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@swc65: Did you receive any rejections? Also to swc65: That sort of thing only happens to Presidents claiming to be born in Hawaii.

No I was not rejected or wait-listed from any schools. However, I withdrew my apps in late December because I was ED at CLS.

Also, replace Supreme Court Justice with appellate court nominee or an elected DA position. I personally would rather just to go to CLS than risk being viewed as dishonest on my law app to move up a few spots! That's why emailing.calling the individual schools is the probably the best course of action. It's better to be sure than to take a risk on something that could come back and bite you decades later.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Not sure about law schools, but some highly selective colleges & universities want not only minority students, but disadvantaged minority students who, presumably, have faced adversity due to their ethnicity or due to the color of their skin. My best guess is that law schools are more interested in increasing the number of African Americans & Puerto Ricans & Native Americans in law school to assemble a variety of viewpoints & to make non-lawyers feel that the legal system is available to all rather than in verifying hardships caused by minority status.
@swc65: I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry by being upfront & honest.

Return to “What are my chances?”