ED/RD Dilemma Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
marklg89

New

ED/RD Dilemma

Post by marklg89 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

I posted a similar thread recently asking what my chances are at certain schools and someone kindly forwarded me to LSN and predictor. After extensively browsing the numbers I am faced with a dilemma as to which course of action to take, and I was hoping for some advice/thoughts from people more knowledgeable.

My #s are a 169/3.71, with good softs at a good UG, and I’m not an URM. NYU is my #1 choice, with Georgetown a close second. Statistically, with RD I have slim chances at NYU and a good shot at GT. These are the options I have in mind:

1) Apply ED to NYU and RD to GT OR 2) abandon the prospect of getting into NYU and just apply ED to GT

Pros (1): Pros: Improve my shot at NYU, which is my dream school. I won’t mind paying sticker (which is the guaranteed price tag if I get in)

Cons (1): NYU’s median LSAT/GPA is 171/3.75, so my #’s are below both. This fact is making me feel that the prospect of getting into NYU is a lost cause, and applying ED to a school I have a slim shot of getting into will burn a potential ED to a school that will likely take me. In short, I’m worried that applying ED to NYU and RD to GT puts me at risk of not getting into either school.

Pros (2): My shot at GT is already solid, so with an ED I will improve my chances to go to my #2 school to a fairly comfortable level.

Cons (2): If I get in ED I’m looking at sticker for sure. Moreover, if I follow option 1 and get into GT RD, then I may be able to use scholy money (if I get any) from lower ranked schools as leverage for some $ from GT. Anecdotal evidence suggests that this has worked for people before (not just in GT but in other schools)

Currently I’m leaning towards option 1. Though my chances at NYU aren’t stellar even with ED, and I additionally run the risk of losing both of my top two schools, I also have more to gain in terms of a better school for me (if I do miraculously get in) and $$ (if I get RD into GT and successfully squeeze out some dough) I believe that sometimes to win big you have to risk big, and though the second option seems more reassuring and safe, I’ll be wondering ‘what if?’ I’m just curious what you guys think about my take on this, and whether or not you have any other suggestions for me to pursue. I should also add that, if faced with the decision b/t sticker at GT and $$ at a lower ranked, I’ll most likely still take GT. The school and DC are close to my heart and I plan on busting my back all three years to get the job I want post-graduation to help me pay back the debt I accrued. Thanks for any advice guys!

holydonkey

Silver

Re: ED/RD Dilemma

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:56 am

Apply ED to NYU early. If dinged, waitlisted, or put in the regular pool ED to Georgetown, but...

there are other law schools that fall between NYU and Gtown with much better placement ability than Gtown (Michigan, Duke, Northwestern). You would be a competitive applicant at these schools as well. If your goal is big law, and from your post it sounds like it is, you may want to consider applying RD to Gtown, UMich, Duke, and Northwestern. No reason to ED to Georgetown unless you have to be in DC (spouse in the city, monitoring bracelet). If nothing else, it would be worth seeing if any of those 4 kick you $.
Last edited by holydonkey on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

drake

New

Post by drake » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:56 am

I personally think ED to NYU would be a waste. You are below both medians and I am certain that ED will not make up for that.

Even Georgetown, I thought 170 was the magic number, not 169. Maybe 169 if you are trying to apply for Part-Time or something.

If you had to ED anywhere, I think you should ED Georgetown. Not great chances, but better than NYU for sure.

EDIT: Also consider that an early ED> late ED. By the time you ED to Georgetown after getting dinged by NYU ED might be a bit too late for ED to have much advantage at Georgetown. You should look at schools between NYU/Georgetown too. Although I think you are at or below median at most of those schools. Good luck!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:19 am

Question- If you ED to a school and are rejected, are you allowed to ED to a second school after rejection? Would this also apply if you are waitlisted or deferred to regular?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 am

Ildeuce wrote:Question- If you ED to a school and are rejected, are you allowed to ED to a second school after rejection? Would this also apply if you are waitlisted or deferred to regular?
Yes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malfurion

Bronze

Post by malfurion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Ildeuce wrote:Question- If you ED to a school and are rejected, are you allowed to ED to a second school after rejection? Would this also apply if you are waitlisted or deferred to regular?
Yes, except for Northwestern.

marklg89

New

Post by marklg89 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Thank you all for the advice! I'm going to apply to a broader spectrum of schools as you mentioned and see where my #'s take me. It's interesting that UMich is ranked higher than GTown yet has lower LSAT and the same GPA median (GT: 3.64/170, UMich 3.64/168). Is there a particular reason/factor that is weighed heavier in the Mich applicant pool? I know for example that Stanford loves work experience

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”