3.6x/170 no softs - what do you think about these schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dcgbm

3.6x/170 no softs - what do you think about these schools?

Postby dcgbm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am

Hey TLS,

I took the LSAT and cancelled before, this time I got a 170. I have no real softs, only a few bland internships sprinkled in each summer. not a URM, attended a top 50 UG with a very typical pre-law major. Basically, on the sheer power of my numbers, at what point do you think I can confidently say "yeah, I'll probably still get an acceptance here"? I understand its a holistic approach, two applicants with the same numbers get different results at the same school, etc, but I got to think at some point a 3.6x/170 is a lock barring horrid rec letters (which won't happen) or serious character issues (not the case either). I took a look at LSP and it has USC as admit; do you think this accurate? USC is a higher ranked school than I thought. I'm safe at UC Davis, right? What about GW?

Also, What do you think my chances are at the top 7-14 range?

JWicker10

Re: 3.6x/170 no softs - what do you think about these schools?

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 pm

I think you're pretty much safe completely outside t14. Within t14 it is going to make a little difference what your GPA actually is, a 3.60 isn't equal to a 3.69...and at a competitive school it can certainly make a difference in your results.

I think if you EDed to one MVP you'd have a pretty good shot. Granted I think your chances at MVP are decent without ED as well though. I also think you're golden at Cornell.

With your numbers I'd apply to basically CCN on down and just see what happens, granted CCN is a major stretch for you.
Last edited by JWicker10 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:49 pm

There is no such thing as no softs. It is all in the phrasing. Reality: You interned at a company where they assigned you to pick up sandwiches, sort mail, and one time let you book restaurant reservations for a client? Resume: You interned at a XXX firm, coordinating office communications and client relationships. There is always some way to spin it.

willyj

Postby willyj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 pm

JWicker10 wrote:I think you're pretty much safe completely outside t14. Within t14 it is going to make a little difference what your GPA actually is, a 3.60 isn't equal to a 3.69...and at a competitive school it can certainly make a difference in your results.

I think if you EDed to one MVP you'd have a pretty good shot. Granted I think your chances at MVP are decent without ED as well though. I also think you're golden at Cornell.

With your numbers I'd apply to basically CCN on down and just see what happens, granted CCN is a major stretch for you.

Why is Cornell the least competitive of the t14 to get into, yet still ranked as high as it is?

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:20 pm

willyj wrote:
JWicker10 wrote:I think you're pretty much safe completely outside t14. Within t14 it is going to make a little difference what your GPA actually is, a 3.60 isn't equal to a 3.69...and at a competitive school it can certainly make a difference in your results.

Why is Cornell the least competitive of the t14 to get into, yet still ranked as high as it is?

Well of the t14 it is ranked at the bottom end at 13. As for rankings, there's a lot USNWR takes into account besides the competition for admissions. While how selective a school might be is obviously significant there are still other factors. You can google USNWR methodology to figure out how they weight rankings.

For Cornell imparticular, I would guess they're the least competitive largely because of their location. Although, Cornell did have the highest spike in apps received within the t14 I believe this past cycle.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:37 pm

There is no universal "easiest" t14. For someone with a 3.0/170, UVA is. For someone with a 2.8/173 NU is, for someone with a 3.5/168 Cornell is etc etc.

dcgbm

Postby dcgbm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:32 am

thanks for the replies. so UCLA looks pretty good?

thechee

Postby thechee » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 am

With approximately the same numbers as you (plus a cancel and a 164 on my LSAC record), I ED'd at Chicago and was waitlisted. I was admitted everywhere else I applied, except for UVA, which also WL'd me. Within the T14 I was got into Penn ($40k), Berkeley, Michigan ($30k), Cornell, and Duke (55k).

Don't underestimate the power of a carefully crafted application, and applying early. I spent tons of time on my essays, and sent out my apps in late November (doing so earlier might have resulted in a UVA acceptance).

Return to “What are my chances?”