174/3.58

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Yoda

174/3.58

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:45 pm

High improvement since first year. Fluent in multiple languages. Immigrant. I have a D in calculus that has haunted me since I was a freshman.
What are my chances in the T14 area.

Targets
UVA
Cornell

Reach
NYU
Columbia

Safety
Fordham

For Kicks
HYS and B

Any recommendations? I'd prefer to stay on the east coast.

GeePee

Re: 174/3.58

Postby GeePee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:51 pm

If you don't really care about a miniscule chance at HYS, ED to CLS or NYU seems like a good idea.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 pm

GeePee wrote:If you don't really care about a miniscule chance at HYS, ED to CLS or NYU seems like a good idea.

I agree, you have a solid shot at CLS or NYU if you ED (maybe even if you don't). HYSB are probably not biting on that GPA though.

Yoda

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Well the way I see it, even if I apply to HYS, they'll throw away my app when they see my GPA. I doubt they'll look at my personal statement or recommendations.

I think I am going to ED NYU.

Can someone explain to me how EA works? What is taken into consideration when choosing what schools to EA for.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 am

Yoda wrote:Well the way I see it, even if I apply to HYS, they'll throw away my app when they see my GPA. I doubt they'll look at my personal statement or recommendations.

I think I am going to ED NYU.

Can someone explain to me how EA works? What is taken into consideration when choosing what schools to EA for.

Anyone who tells you to apply early to Cornell to improve your chances is not well informed. This is straight from the Dean of Admissions for Cornell:

"The main advantage (of ED) is that if an applicant gets into their dream school, they can instantly stop worrying and get on with the logistics of attendance. Unlike in the undergraduate situation, there is no selection edge that goes along with applying early decision/admission."

While Cornell's ED is non-binding for most other schools, ED is. At these binding schools, your chances CAN be increased by applying ED, but typically you must choose only one school to apply ED to.

Return to “What are my chances?”