Where should I be aiming? (163/3.5)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
erryo

Where should I be aiming? (163/3.5)

Postby erryo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 pm

GPA: 3.5ish currently but should be up to over 3.65 by the time I graduate.
LSAT: 163 June 2010
Softs: average

I'll be graduating in three years from UG but I am not sure if that will play a role in admissions. Let me also say that I was only mildly prepared for the LSAT in June. I prepared for about four weeks prior to the test but I plan to start preparing again the first of July for about three months leading to the October test. I took about three (maybe four) practice tests prior to June and scored around an average of 166-167 with the highest being 171.

I scored -5 on the LG on the real thing where I almost always scored perfectly on everything I practiced. Anyway.. I think I can improve my real score to around a 170 with intense preparation.

So where should I be aiming? Ideally I would like to try for Texas, Vanderbilt, maybe Duke or Cornell.. basically somewhere in the 10-30 range. But I also want to know what schools I should aim for that would provide me the best chance at significant scholarship money.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any information you could provide.

tttlllsss

Re: Where should I be aiming? (163/3.5)

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:02 am

erryo wrote:GPA: 3.5ish currently but should be up to over 3.65 by the time I graduate.
LSAT: 163 June 2010
Softs: average

I'll be graduating in three years from UG but I am not sure if that will play a role in admissions. Let me also say that I was only mildly prepared for the LSAT in June. I prepared for about four weeks prior to the test but I plan to start preparing again the first of July for about three months leading to the October test. I took about three (maybe four) practice tests prior to June and scored around an average of 166-167 with the highest being 171.

I scored -5 on the LG on the real thing where I almost always scored perfectly on everything I practiced. Anyway.. I think I can improve my real score to around a 170 with intense preparation.

So where should I be aiming? Ideally I would like to try for Texas, Vanderbilt, maybe Duke or Cornell.. basically somewhere in the 10-30 range. But I also want to know what schools I should aim for that would provide me the best chance at significant scholarship money.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Right now, with your numbers, you are looking at big $$ from only T3 schools. Will be rejected from UT, Vandy, Duke and Cornell.

Were you a freshman this past semester? If so, why did you take the LSAT so early.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:11 am

Sorry, but no chance at Duke, Vandy, Cornell, etc.

You also don't have a great chance of getting scholarship money unless you aim at the lower top 50-100.

You have a chance at UGA if you want to stay in the south, but that's not guaranteed. Maybe Fordham with its recent drop if you're looking big city? But I wouldn't pay sticker at Fordham in a million years.

Scatter around the top 25-50 and see what happens.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am

nickwar wrote:Sorry, but no chance at Duke, Vandy, Cornell, etc.

You also don't have a great chance of getting scholarship money unless you aim at the lower top 50-100.

You have a chance at UGA if you want to stay in the south, but that's not guaranteed. Maybe Fordham with its recent drop if you're looking big city? But I wouldn't pay sticker at Fordham in a million years.

Scatter around the top 25-50 and see what happens.

UGA is almost definitely out.

Just study harder and retake.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:58 am

tttlllsss wrote:Right now, with your numbers, you are looking at big $$ from only T3 schools.

Wrong. He'll get at least 50% tuition, if not more, from some good regional T1 schools.

tttlllsss wrote:Will be rejected from UT, Vandy, Duke and Cornell.

Correct.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:02 am

Definitely no shot at T20, maybe could get into a couple of T30 schools. Your targets should be T50 schools at sticker or T100 with significant money.

erryo

Postby erryo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks guys. And let me clarify that this is the summer between my second and third years of UG and Ill be graduating May '11 at 20 years old but I'll enter LS at 21. I am not sure if that will be considered a positive or negative.

Also, lets say that I score 170 or higher on my retake, what would be my chances? And what kind of money? I'm just looking for extra motivation to kill this test.

Thanks again.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 am

erryo wrote:Thanks guys. And let me clarify that this is the summer between my second and third years of UG and Ill be graduating May '11 at 20 years old but I'll enter LS at 21. I am not sure if that will be considered a positive or negative.

Also, lets say that I score 170 or higher on my retake, what would be my chances? And what kind of money? I'm just looking for extra motivation to kill this test.

Thanks again.

Just look at Law School Numbers.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 am

With your stats, I'd say you're in Iowa, Indiana, UC-Davis, UNC [if in-state], and Wisconsin for T30.

Return to “What are my chances?”