3.56/172 URM...ED??? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
calvmpv

Bronze

3.56/172 URM...ED???

Post by calvmpv » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey, so I’ve been reading the threads for a while and trying to find anyone with stats like mine so I don’t waste anyone’s time…I’ve also looked at the numbers on LSN and TSL and lawschoolpredictor.com, but I’d really appreciate some non-automated feedback. The advice on these forums has been great so far…and I want to gauge my chances. I apologize in advance for another #.##/### thread!

I’m a PR female…and from what I’ve been reading it seems that AA males get the biggest boost. But do I get any boost at all from being PRican (born and raised)? I will be graduating from a top 50, private university. Good LORs, okay work experience (nothing too impressive, I think). I will be writing both a PS and a DS.

I got a 172 on my LSAT (only 1 score). Also, my UGPA is a 3.68 but my LSDAS GPA brings that down to 3.56. So do these numbers (3.56, 172) make me a “splitter?” My dream school is Columbia, which I would have had a better shot at with a 3.68.

As it stands, do I have a chance at NYU or Columbia? Should I ED to either one? What about the rest of the T-14? I'm aiming for a JD from a more national law school.

I’d really appreciate any help or advice…especially about applying ED…thanks guys!

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: 3.56/172 URM...ED???

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm

calvmpv wrote:Hey, so I’ve been reading the threads for a while and trying to find anyone with stats like mine so I don’t waste anyone’s time…I’ve also looked at the numbers on LSN and TSL and lawschoolpredictor.com, but I’d really appreciate some non-automated feedback. The advice on these forums has been great so far…and I want to gauge my chances. I apologize in advance for another #.##/### thread!

I’m a PR female…and from what I’ve been reading it seems that AA males get the biggest boost. But do I get any boost at all from being PRican (born and raised)? I will be graduating from a top 50, private university. Good LORs, okay work experience (nothing too impressive, I think). I will be writing both a PS and a DS.

I got a 172 on my LSAT (only 1 score). Also, my UGPA is a 3.68 but my LSDAS GPA brings that down to 3.56. So do these numbers (3.56, 172) make me a “splitter?” My dream school is Columbia, which I would have had a better shot at with a 3.68.

As it stands, do I have a chance at NYU or Columbia? Should I ED to either one? What about the rest of the T-14? I'm aiming for a JD from a more national law school.

I’d really appreciate any help or advice…especially about applying ED…thanks guys!
ED to UVA.

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 am

anyone else? I know I have some time but I don't know what to do about this ED thing...

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 am

I don't recommend ED to UVA.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:17 am

mallard wrote:I don't recommend ED to UVA.
Don't listen to naysayers! You have a decent chance of making it in if you ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

interalia

New

Post by interalia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 am

Kohinoor wrote:
mallard wrote:I don't recommend ED to UVA.
Don't listen to naysayers! You have a decent chance of making it in if you ED.
Haha definitely don´t ED to UVA. Put together a nice app and you should get scholarship money at some MPV.

If you want to ED, do it at one of CCN (looks like columbia is your top choice). HYS probably isn´t happening with that GPA.

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:24 am

calvmpv wrote:Hey, so I’ve been reading the threads for a while and trying to find anyone with stats like mine so I don’t waste anyone’s time…I’ve also looked at the numbers on LSN and TSL and lawschoolpredictor.com, but I’d really appreciate some non-automated feedback. The advice on these forums has been great so far…and I want to gauge my chances. I apologize in advance for another #.##/### thread!

If your dream school is Columbia, and your ok paying sticker for it, ED to Columbia. Your URM status isn't enough to get you in at HYS (though it is worth applying) or big money in the t6--you'll get a boost, won't be huge. You'll have a decent shot, though I don't know URM admissions well enough to say what your exact chances are.

If you blanket the t14 you'll get money at the lower schools. You'll certainly get a few acceptances. If I were in your shoes I'd be going this route, but it depends on how badly you want a NYC school. ED might put you over the edge at Columbia/NYU.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 am

If you're going to ED anywhere, ED to Columbia. Otherwise, ED at a different school would probably end your cycle...

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:54 am

lawls wrote:

If your dream school is Columbia, and your ok paying sticker for it, ED to Columbia. Your URM status isn't enough to get you in at HYS (though it is worth applying) or big money in the t6--you'll get a boost, won't be huge. You'll have a decent shot, though I don't know URM admissions well enough to say what your exact chances are.

If you blanket the t14 you'll get money at the lower schools. You'll certainly get a few acceptances. If I were in your shoes I'd be going this route, but it depends on how badly you want a NYC school. ED might put you over the edge at Columbia/NYU.
Columbia aid is need-based.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:58 am

Your numbers are good enough to get into many T14 schools even without being a URM. Columbia is the only school I would ED to, since it's the highest-ranked school you can ED to and also your dream school. However, you also do have a chance of getting admitted to one of HYS (not necessarily a great chance, but a real one). If you're willing to forgo that chance, ED to Columbia; otherwise apply to the entire T6 and a few lower T14s as safeties, and see what happens.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 am

We're numbers twins (sans URM boost)! The responses in this thread make me feel so hopeful.

njgal

New

Post by njgal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 pm

My testmasters instuctor was white had a 3.53 and a 173 on his lsat and got into columbia

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm

You're all right about my dream school being Columbia haha, but I want to apply ED if doing so would give me a realistic shot of getting in. I guess I'm pretty set on staying in NYC. If I don't get NYU or CLS, then I'm probably going to end up in Fordham (if they accept me, that is). And so I really want to maximize my chances at my top 2.
Does anyone think I have a good chance at getting into NYU if I don't ED? Columbia almost seems like a long shot.
Thank you all for your responses! They're gunna be really helpful.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:05 pm

CG614 wrote:Columbia aid is need-based.
But they definitely also offer merit-based aid....Hamiltons, Butlers....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”