2.5 (2.9) / 165 ?? school in SE Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
splitterhopeful

New

2.5 (2.9) / 165 ?? school in SE

Post by splitterhopeful » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:57 pm

I just received a 165 on the June LSAT and found out that LSAC dropped my GPA from a 2.9 to a 2.5 :)

I have a major upward grade trend (retook my entire first semester for one, which LSAC counted)
I have 3 years work experience at diverse, yet not amazing positions. Will have professional recommendations (1 or 2)
I will be applying as early as possible and am banking on writing and re-writing personal statements and optional essays and just being persistent as hell (I got a personal letter from my registrar sent to LSAC arguing my GPA to no avail..haha)

I want to go to school in the SE, somewhere that doesn't have a lot of competition. My #1 goal = jobs
I really want to go to Wake Forest and know someone who can write a recommendation that was a board member. I will apply their new early decision. I am also thinking Tulane. I don't care about paying sticker (I am making less than 20k a year right now...it is only up from here, debt or not).

What do you think? Thanks!

EDIT-As for retaking the LSAT, I averaged a 169 on my PTs and hit a high of 174 (in the 170s about five times total). -4 on my LG really messed me up.

splitterhopeful

New

Re: 2.5 (2.9) / 165 ?? school in SE

Post by splitterhopeful » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:23 pm

b

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Paying sticker is an absolutely atrocious idea which could land you in an indentured servitude type situation quite easily from the only schools your numbers will get you into.

That said, for the South, I'd just pick some TTT's in a market you wouldn't mind living in in which that TTT is basically the only game in town (think Ole Miss or South Carolina) and go there. They might throw some cash at your LSAT. UGA, UF, and Tulane, and Wake might be decent reaches. I wouldn't apply to Wake ED; you have an okay shot RD. Don't go to any of these places at sticker though. Good luck.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 am

Thanks! I am leaning more to a re-take right now. I know I can break that 170 barrier and that would really help my chances.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 am

Ah, hey LSAT buddy! 8)
I'd retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Hate to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts on my conundrum? I am particularly worried about possibly choosing between the following scenarios:

Wake Forest @ sticker
vs.
South Carolina w/ scholly and maybe in-state tuition after a year

I am just worried that I wouldn't be able to get the quality job at South Carolina. I don't want to be in debt, but I do NOT want to spend a decent amount of $/time and end up with $50,000/yr. or worse. They aren't even in the top 100 anymore!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 pm

splitterhopeful wrote:Hate to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts on my conundrum? I am particularly worried about possibly choosing between the following scenarios:

Wake Forest @ sticker
vs.

I am just worried that I wouldn't be able to get the quality job at South Carolina. I don't want to be in debt, but I do NOT want to spend a decent amount of $/time and end up with $50,000/yr. or worse. They aren't even in the top 100 anymore!
Wake Forest is not worth sticker.

But seriously, just retake and get back to us. Hypos are generally wastes of time.

OG Loc

Bronze

Post by OG Loc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:29 pm

splitterhopeful wrote:Hate to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts on my conundrum? I am particularly worried about possibly choosing between the following scenarios:

Wake Forest @ sticker
vs.

I bet most new graduates at both schools would consider themselves lucky to land a 50k/y job.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 am

Well that is comforting...

and I just registered for the Oct. 9 LSAT today, so I'll update the question then.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JustBelieve

New

Post by JustBelieve » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:48 pm

splitterhopeful wrote:I just received a 165 on the June LSAT and found out that LSAC dropped my GPA from a 2.9 to a 2.5 :)

I have a major upward grade trend (retook my entire first semester for one, which LSAC counted)
I have 3 years work experience at diverse, yet not amazing positions. Will have professional recommendations (1 or 2)
I will be applying as early as possible and am banking on writing and re-writing personal statements and optional essays and just being persistent as hell (I got a personal letter from my registrar sent to LSAC arguing my GPA to no avail..haha)

I want to go to school in the SE, somewhere that doesn't have a lot of competition. My #1 goal = jobs
I really want to go to Wake Forest and know someone who can write a recommendation that was a board member. I will apply their new early decision. I am also thinking Tulane. I don't care about paying sticker (I am making less than 20k a year right now...it is only up from here, debt or not).

What do you think? Thanks!

EDIT-As for retaking the LSAT, I averaged a 169 on my PTs and hit a high of 174 (in the 170s about five times total). -4 on my LG really messed me up.
Do not let your GPA bother you. Yes, it may not be, in terms of those who are obsessed with the materialistic aspects of life, "ideal", however, you have a strong LSAT score to help you greatly. Apply to any school you wish to get accepted to and you will get an acceptance somewhere. You'll be fine!

Best of luck!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm

FSU <3's LSAT score more than GPA...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”