3.77 GPA 164 LSAT URM Mexican American

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abarrios

3.77 GPA 164 LSAT URM Mexican American

Postby abarrios » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in posession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

So, what are my chances looking like? Should I apply to any t-14 schools? What is the best school that I have a chance of getting into?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or information will be greatly appreciated.

NU_Jet55

Re: 3.77 GPA 164 LSAT URM Mexican American

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 pm

abarrios wrote:Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in posession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

So, what are my chances looking like? Should I apply to any t-14 schools? What is the best school that I have a chance of getting into?

It depends where you want to work. Pick out a few T14 and apply. Apply to every school from 15-20. Apply to a few more between 21 and 40 in your desired region of employment. Apply to your local state school for a safety.

HTH

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
abarrios wrote:Only downside to my application is my criminal record. Two arrests for a class B theft misdemeanor and a class C theft misdemeanor. Also a ticket for a minor in posession of alcohol and a public intoxication. However, I completed probation successfully for everything and I have not been in trouble with the law in over two years.

It depends where you want to work. Pick out a few T14 and apply. Apply to every school from 15-20. Apply to a few more between 21 and 40 in your desired region of employment. Apply to your local state school for a safety.

HTH

Yea, that is basically what I planned on doing. How big of a negative effect do you think my record will have on my applications?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

abarrios wrote:Yea, that is basically what I planned on doing. How big of a negative effect do you think my record will have on my applications?

It depends what school you're talking about, but in general a couple misdemeanors and a MIP won't kill your chances at any school. It's definitely not going to help you, but just make sure to write the appropriate addenda and it won't be a huge deal.

abarrios

Postby abarrios » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Bump. I would like to hear some more opinions. I am very skeptical about all of my chances because of my criminal record.

Any chance I can get into some t14 schools? How bad will my criminal record hurt me? Will I be able to get into schools where my LSAT and GPA are at the high end of things, such as Baylor, SMU, and U of Houston? (I am a Texas resident so I will be applying to all of these schools, plus UT)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:11 pm

They only way to get a definitive answer is to apply to the law schools that interest you.
My opinion is that with three misdemeanor convictions as an adult, you will face difficulties being allowed to sit for a bar exam, or, if allowed to take the bar, then you may face difficulty getting cleared to become a member.
Plenty of law schools will take your money, but I would be surprised if any in the Top 20 or so will accept you. Regardless of my opinion, you should apply to any & every law school that interests you. You may want to consider consulting an attorney who specializes in bar disciplinary matters for a state in which you intend to practice law.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm a bit more optimistic than some of the other posting here... I imagine with your numbers + URM status you are a lock for something in the T14 even with your record (as long as you can explain it sufficiently- the longer ago the incidents were the better). I suspect you may have a shot at several schools in T10.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I'm a bit more optimistic than some of the other posting here... I imagine with your numbers + URM status you are a lock for something in the T14 even with your record (as long as you can explain it sufficiently- the longer ago the incidents were the better). I suspect you may have a shot at several schools in T10.

+1

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:24 pm

[quote][/quote]

what part of Texas are you from?

Return to “What are my chances?”